PDA

View Full Version : CDG to DXB: Port or Starboard to see sunrise?

5kyd1ver
13th Oct 2012, 23:44
Apologies for a real wuffo type of question - but if I wanted to observe sunrise as I land in Dubai at 06.40 on 25 November 2012 on flight EK076, which side of the aircraft should I be sitting? Sunrise is scheduled to occur at 06.43 that day.

Conversely, the return flight leaves DXB at 08.00 - which side of the aircraft should I be sitting to avoid the sun streaming in?

Just can't orientate my thought processes to give myself the right answer! :confused:

spannersatcx
14th Oct 2012, 18:10
it would depend on what runway you land and take off from I would imagine, without that info, no answer can be given!

ARNSpoty
16th Oct 2012, 14:54
no answer can be given!

Hmm, well i'll give you my predictions at least. I travel usually once every two months to and from dubai, and 80% of my flights are night flights (arriving mornings at DXB).
Due to the night/dawn sea breeze, you'll most likely receive an approach to RWY30R.
To get the best possible light out of it, due to the that the sun will almost rise directly south, south-east, i'd recommend that you're sitting on starboard, to get perhaps some of the skyline on approach to RWY12R, hence which is unusual during that time of the day. I've always gotten the best out of my pictures from starboard; wing central and sunrises slightly on the left hand corner of the frame. If you make an approach to 30R, incase the flight is light and you see and empty row (since you'd like to prevent passengers from having to unbuckle and stand up etc :( ) on port side, maybe sneak your way over to the other side, because then you'll get the sunrise for sure, along with some desert....unless they make a fully 180 turn becuase then you'll just see some sky:*
Unfortunately, the flight crew will get the best out of it :hmm:

So i'd go for starboard, for both flights.

I am also heading to Dubai under that time, looking forward to it;)