PDA

View Full Version : US Restricted Radiotelephony Operator Permit

cambioso
12th Oct 2012, 21:10
I have been advised (by the Manx Authorities) that I must obtain a Restricted Radiotelephony Operator Permit (?!) from the USA so that they can progress a new Manx Validation (using my FAA ATP) for a different "M" aircraft.
I have looked at the website for the FCC and it is about the most chaotic and confusing document I have EVER tried to read! It appears that I must fill in a form 605 online. The form (when opened) doesn't allow me to fill it in on my computer.
PLEASE has anyone any advice on how to obtain (with the minimum of fuss!) this Restricted Radiotelephony Operator Permit when one is not a US resident AND will not be flying an "N" reg aircraft but instead flying an "M" reg aircraft? There seem to be no entries for non-US domiciled people and only the facility to place an "N" reg a/c tail number in the form 605 (when we need to put our "M" reg a/c there).
Is there a separate form (that I have missed in the hugely confusing website) for foreign applicants?
I really am at my wits end with this, having tried (unsuccessfully) to fathom it out of the last 2 hours!
Really would appreciate assistance on this Guys...............
Thanks, and BWs
Jez

MarkerInbound
12th Oct 2012, 22:15
It's not pretty. There's the Restricted RadioTelephone and then the Restricted RadioTelephone-Limited Use. The Limited Use is for foreign nationals who are NOT working in the US. I think what you've been trying to fill in is for the license for the aircraft's radios. If you want to mail your paperwork to them, try this:

FCC Form 605 (http://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605.html)

About half way down the page is a box "Applicable Schedules ..." with 6 sub-boxes in it. The fifth sub-box is "Commercial Operators, Restricted ..." In that box is a link to form 605 and to Schedule E for the RR or RL. In block one of form 605 enter RR, block two enter NE. It's going to no or N/A till you get down to entering your name and data at block 10.

On Schedule E tick the last box (RL), there are three N/As and then the last box.

There is also a form to send with your payment.

To do all this online you have to create an account with the FCC. Start here:

FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS): ULS Home (http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=home)

cambioso
13th Oct 2012, 07:28
Thanks SO much MI.
I knew someone out there would be able to help me "see through the fog".
I'll get on it right away, and thanks again.
Regards,
Jez

cambioso
13th Oct 2012, 09:29
Done! Simples!
(only thanks to you MI - thanks again)
J

jecuk
14th Oct 2012, 12:02
Do it online - faster and actually quite simple once you have the right application. It is the limited use one described above. Arrived in 5 days.

tempilot
15th Oct 2012, 17:47
I was thrown the same curved ball by IOM, having flown decades on my FAA ATP using my UK CAA international R/T license without problems.

I then faced the same probs with the FCC un-user friendly website. Simple solution, costing $90.00US, was to employ Dockside Radio of Florida to apply for me. You still need a FCC REFERENCE NUMBER, and pass it to them. You will have to pay everything to them online but will obtain the FCC LICENCE overnight and IOM will accept the fact that you have applied to issue your validation. Google Harborside Radio for their details and services. It worked well for me. It is best if you have a USA address to mail the hard copy to.

It is unfortunate, but IOM are acting quite anal about this, especially as the rest of the world accepts the UK issued license.

I wish you good luck!

tempilot

NuName
16th Oct 2012, 03:24
Don't blame the IOM, they must be the most user friendly authority out there. Its an FAA regulation that flights outside the US on a FAA based licence requires a FCC RT licence. I had mine stolen a while back and had no problem at all ordering a new one online, can't remember how much but I was happy with the process and it came very quickly.

cambioso
16th Oct 2012, 08:47
I certainly wouldn't blame the IOM, and they were not being at all "anal", it is great that they accept FAA licences at all, and they were most apologetic about having been "leaned on" by the FAA over this requirement.
They are the most "user friendly" people I have ever come across. I had the privilege of flying the very first M reg international flight in MELON and have been flying and operating various M reg a/c ever since.
Once MI gave me the "translation" of the FCC website, it was a doddle - but I would still be struggling now if it hadn't been for him.
If you're bored, have a look at the FCC website and try and imagine you are trying to get one of these new fangled R/T licences!
BWs
Jez