PDA

View Full Version : Anybody going to Groote Eylandt?

Philthy
12th Oct 2012, 09:47
I'm presently writing a book on Australia's civil Empire flying boats and their Bases, of which Groote Eylandt was one. The Base was at Little Lagoon (Port Langdon) on the north-eastern corner of the island. Thanks to the magic of Google Earth, there appear to be very few relics of the Base remaining, apart from the big Shell fuel tank.

I'm wondering if anybody is going up that way and might be interested in taking some photos of whatever remains for me? Aerial photos would be great, ground-level shots even better.

I realise it's still a very remote place to get to but I am not in a position to pay for a special trip. All I can offer is a 'thank you' in the book (assuming it ever gets published) plus the quiet satisfaction of knowing you have contributed to recording Australia's aviation history.

Anybody wanting to take this on can contact me at vabre AT netspace.net.au

Thanks, Philthy

Jabawocky
12th Oct 2012, 14:05
Philthy, have I a deal for you.

Call me......your lens could. Capture a few things very soon..... ;)

Jaba:ok:

frangatang
12th Oct 2012, 15:54
Who used the landing ramp at karumba. It was some form of flying boat? Still no roots on groote? Landed there the day after the belgrano sank in the falklands. many of the miners were argies!

4SPOOLED
13th Oct 2012, 00:18
I used to fly RPT out there often.

I'd suggest getting in touch with Airnorth.

I'm sure they would be able to sort you out with applicable pictures if required.

Philthy
13th Oct 2012, 02:40
Thanks Jaba and 4Spooled.

Frangatang: The Karumba Flying Boat Base was taken over from Civil Aviation by the RAAF in mid-1943. They built the slipway for the Catalinas of 43 Squadron, which was based there for a while.

SpyderPig
13th Oct 2012, 05:16
Katherine aviation have a base there I think and i heard you could do a scenic flight with them too. Maybe they can help you out

500N
13th Oct 2012, 05:33
You might try contacting or writing to the mine manager at BHP
on Groote.

I used to know the maintenance manager there until he moved
this year so if you get really stuck, send me a PM and I'll see
if he can put you in touch with someone who can do what
you need.

Philthy
14th Oct 2012, 23:29
Thanks 500N. I'll let you know if I need your contact.