PDA

View Full Version : Converting a JAA CPL TO FAA

Ward8216
12th Oct 2012, 09:27
Hi,

I've got a JAA CPL IR/ME license. But I have the opportunity to fly with een US registered A/C. So I would need to convert mine JAA CPL to an FAA CPL. I would need a FAA CPL IR/SE. ME is not needed

Where and how can I don this?

Thanks for the help!

Ward8216
13th Oct 2012, 18:58
Nobody who can help me?

B2N2
15th Oct 2012, 13:47
Ward, the quickest way to do this is the following:

get a US validation PPL, the well-known piggy-back license or 61.75
pass a FAA IR written test
training as required to pass the IR practical test (12-15 hrs.)
pass a FAA CPL written test
training as required to pass the CPL practical test (12-15 hrs.)

Airmen Certification - Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)
Before somebody mentions it, yes you can get a validation for your JAA IR also but it is only valid for recreational PPL purposes and doesn't carry over to a US CPL.
Therefore the need to get a stand-alone US IR.
I assume you'll be flying something fast SE like a Saratoga or maybe a TBM?
Get some time in that also while you're in the US.

Ward8216
18th Oct 2012, 15:21
Hi B2N2,

Thank you for the replay.
Does anybody knows a good training organisations where I can do this conversion?
Concerning the "piggy-back license" how does this exactly works?

ps. The plan is to fly a N-reg turboprop plan.

B2N2
19th Oct 2012, 12:53
Concerning the "piggy-back license" how does this exactly works?

Click the provided link and follow the instructions :}:ok:

sirscarecrow
19th Oct 2012, 22:02
now, if a FAA ATPL pilot with over 5000 hrs flying Boeings 737, 757, E190s etc wants to get his conversions to JAA ATPL, he has to do a bit more eh ? I wonder why.

Gulfscream
8th Jul 2013, 20:36
Would be great if it really turned out that simple.

so for a US CPL you need 250h I have heard,
does simulator time count towards that?(FNPTII)

I really hope so, because my 215 hours contain about 60 hours of simulators...

B737900er
8th Jul 2013, 22:14
Does anyone have any idea about how converting my EASA ATPL with B737 TR over to FAA?

I already hold an FAA CPL/MEIR but was hoping to get an FAA ATP based on my EASA, is that possible?

justasmallfire
9th Jul 2013, 07:09
If you meet hour requirement then you need security clearance,FAA medical,ATP written test completed then book up sim checkout on your current type or cheap type rating on another.The ATP checkout is the same as a licence skills test .

MarkerInbound
9th Jul 2013, 19:04
Gulfscream,

The regs allow you to credit a maximum of 50 hours sim time towards a commercial certificate if it is signed off by an instructor.

B737900er,

The FAA doesn't "convert" anything above the private level. To get an ATP with the 737 type, you have to go through the TSA nonsense, pass the ATP knowledge test, complete a 737 training program and pass the ATP oral and checkride in a 737. Exactly the same steps as a domestic American commercial pilot. Many 142 Training Centers have short courses for pilots with time in type. And if the training and checking are done in a sim, no medical is required.

Gulfscream
13th Jul 2013, 18:03
thanks markerinbound, do i need the instructor's signature in the flight log or would it be enough on the syllabus?(if I can even get it anymore)

squall1984
13th Jul 2013, 23:31
My fiance is fully JAA qualified Commercial Pilot, for her conversion she did the written exams (one for commercial and one for instrument) and then did two checkrides. She met all the hour requirements already.

MarkerInbound
13th Jul 2013, 23:56
The reg says:

(h) Logging training time. (1) A person may log training time when that person receives training from an authorized instructor in an aircraft, flight simulator, or flight training device.
(2) The training time must be logged in a logbook and must:
(i) Be endorsed in a legible manner by the authorized instructor; and
(ii) Include a description of the training given, the length of the training lesson, and the authorized instructor's signature, certificate number, and certificate expiration date.

However there is no definition of logbook. If pressed the FAA will admit if you have a stack of beer coasters with all the required information on them you're good to go.

B737900er
21st Jul 2013, 18:55
I meet all of the ATP hour requirements I just need to do the written and Oral and check ride.

Is there a B737 sim in the Orlando area to do this or is it a trip to Pan am Miami ?

MarkerInbound
22nd Jul 2013, 17:23
None in MCO. There's also Boeing in MIA.

B737900er
18th Aug 2013, 08:43
Assuming I have completed the part 121 test and check ride in the sim, what are the requirements to keep the rating current?

If I'm flying commercially on the plane in Europe, this will cover the 90 requirement but what about annual sim checks?

MarkerInbound
18th Aug 2013, 15:00
It's in 61.58. You have to pass a checkride in a multicrew or turbojet plane every year and you have to pass a checkride in the airplane you want to stay current in every two years. And the checkride has to be given by someone authorized by the FAA. If it's a biz jet the training center in Europe may be on the FAA list. If you're flying an airliner, I don't recall any European airlines running FAA training.

B737900er
18th Aug 2013, 16:22
Thanks, So what happens if an FAA holder is now flying the same aircraft (b737) but in a different country lets say asia. How will he/she keep his FAA ticket valid with out flying with an FAA Airmen?

MarkerInbound
19th Aug 2013, 12:43
He can't. The Biz Jet training companies have locations scattered around the world. I work on the side for a 142 training center. A significant number of the pilots I see come from overseas for a three day or four day recurrent. While part 91 just requires a checkride, the FAA is pushing more and more of the transport jet operations into part 125 which requires a checkride and recurrent GS. You want to stay current on a FAA certificate, you have to play by their rules.