PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Cook chute evacuation at Glasgow

topgas
12th Oct 2012, 08:06
Seems a Thomas Cook aircraft had to evacuate remaining passengers via chutes when smoke appeared in cabin whilst disembarking at the Airbridge

Chutes used amid plane smoke alert - MSN UK News (http://news.uk.msn.com/chutes-used-amid-plane-smoke-alert)

hoofie
12th Oct 2012, 08:36
The picture shows Prestwick Airport but the report says Glasgow...

I also though they were called evacuation slides - it's not that far a drop you need a parachute...

shomas
12th Oct 2012, 09:07
A Thomas Cook aircraft is currently up squawking 7700, it left Glasgow and is now inbound to Manchester. Think it's the same aircraft or just pure coincidence?

Edit: Current emergency aircraft is a 752, article says 231 passengers on board, so that could fit with the 235 seats on a Thomas Cook 752...

Shrimps
12th Oct 2012, 09:13
It is, according to FR24. G-FCLA operated the DLM flight, and is now holding at DAYNE. AAIB might be taking a bit of interest in this one...

maxred
12th Oct 2012, 09:13
MSN....That is astonishing that they put up a photo of Glasgow Prestwick, and the whole article moves on about Glasgow Airport. Obviously some young news editor in deepest Wapping, not actually knowing where Glasgow is. Remarkable.

Anyway, is this the first time that slides have been deployed, whilst an aeroplane is sitting on the gate??? Thought I was hearing things this morning as I crunched my Crunchy Nut.

shomas
12th Oct 2012, 09:17
Is now onto the final at Manchester.

As Shrimps said, it did a hold at DAYNE?? Since when do emergency aircraft not get priority? Or is this not an emergency, but still used a 7700 squawk? :confused:

Daily Dalaman Dave
12th Oct 2012, 09:29
He'll have been given all the priority he needed. But sometimes a hold will give you time you need to sort a problem out and run checklists etc.

I'm sure the daily mail would have you believe that any "mayday" situation will have you plummeting earthwards in a mass of drama, but the reality is usually very different.

shomas
12th Oct 2012, 09:31
Good point!

Artie Fufkin
12th Oct 2012, 09:49
All passengers disembarked safely and were repatriated with their luggage once the aircraft had been declared safe."

Another great moment in the journalist "profession"

SPLIT-FFMTCC
12th Oct 2012, 09:54
My mates on it with his family, they were told Pilot Incapacitation was the reason for the divert.

hetfield
12th Oct 2012, 09:57
Pilot Incapacitation

- Holding
- Chutes

Doesn't fit... IMHO

SPLIT-FFMTCC
12th Oct 2012, 10:01
Holding when you have 18 tonnes of fuel resulting in a TOM of 105t+ and a MLM of 89t would result in a bit of thinking time don't you agree?

As for telling the passengers it was due to a pilot feeling ill, I don't know why they felt this was a better option than the truth.

OntimeexceptACARS
12th Oct 2012, 10:02
Is incorrect. A friend of mine on the ground confirmed it was APU related. Aircraft departed for Manchester empty, presumably for APU repair and slide replacements. Doors R3/R4 and L4 were used for the evacuation, though the airbridge was attached and most pax used that.

The emergency inbound MAN I don't know anything about.

SLFguy
12th Oct 2012, 10:02
Different event.

shomas
12th Oct 2012, 10:09
Think some guys are getting a bit confused here, there is two separate events with the same aircraft (G-FCLA):

It landed at Glasgow from Dalaman yesterday where it was evacuated at the gate with slides due to an APU problem which caused smoke in the cabin.

Today, the aircraft has departed Glasgow where it had a 7700 emergency squawk and landed at Manchester, (where it also went into a hold at DAYNE). However, we don't know why it did a 7700 from GLA-MAN yet, possibly pilot incapacitation?

SPLIT-FFMTCC
12th Oct 2012, 10:14
My mate was on a TCX flight that diverted into Manchester today from Glasgow en route to TFS. He's stood in T1 at the moment being told their outbound is now at 14:30L.

SPLIT-FFMTCC
12th Oct 2012, 10:32
Update - He's just sent me a text confirming the tail is LA.

I would suggest if the aircraft was being brought to MAN for maintenance on a ferry flight that Rosun would be the preferred waypoint opposed to Dayne especially coming from the North?

However it wasn't, it was on its way to TFS with passengers. Now we've established that I sense a mountain of paperwork for a few people and a few squeeky bums.

shomas
12th Oct 2012, 10:49
I would suggest if the aircraft was being brought to MAN for maintenance on a ferry flight that Rosun would be the preferred waypoint opposed to Dayne especially coming from the North?

I thought that as well, the aircraft squawked 7700 and started descending just north of Blackpool.

Playback here:
Flightradar24.com - G-FCLA GLA-MAN 7700 (http://www.flightradar24.com/2012-10-12/08:26/TCX36MG)

DaveReidUK
12th Oct 2012, 11:08
Another great moment in the journalist "profession"

Except that it was actually a direct quote from an airport spokesman, not the journo's words.

RossJir
12th Oct 2012, 14:20
Does anyone know what cause 7700 today?
There was another sqwk 7700 in vicinity of Nice airport (A320 BAW)

geoffrey43
24th Oct 2012, 21:40
I had my daughters family on board this flight and they have complained about the lack of information provided by the airline or handling staff at MAN. Co pilot sickness was quoted as the excuse for the diversion, but no medics boarded the aircraft on arrival. Staff were apparently very quick to undo panels below the aircraft, probably doors for the hold. Most peculiar how they had to wait 5 hours for a REPLACEMENT AIRCRAFT if it was only a copilot issue ? Can anyone confirm the real reason for the 7700 squawk passing Blackpool ? This was the very same aircraft that had the emergency evacuation at GLA the night before and which was prepared an hour late for departure to TFS. My 9 year old granddaughter complained about a horrible smoky smell in the aircraft when she boarded, knowing nothing of any previous events, which i find very interesting.

Funderblaster
25th Oct 2012, 16:03
If the F/O was ill and incapacitated then 7700 is quite justified !

Jonty
25th Oct 2012, 18:19
"Only a co-pilot issue" nice!