PDA

View Full Version : 1950s small plane around Australia

Dick Smith
12th Oct 2012, 04:14
When I was a kid living in East Roseville in the 1950s, I followed the exploits of an aviator who had built his own small plane – with a Volkswagen engine – and commenced flying it around Australia.

From time to time there were bits about it in the newspapers. It was one of the things that really motivated me to think that possibly, one day, I could become a pilot.

Does anyone know the story and can anyone give me any links to the newspaper reports of the time?

RenegadeMan
12th Oct 2012, 04:44
Hi Dick

I don't know of the story but in case you haven't seen either of these I found this article about a French kit plane that used a VW car engine (in the Broken Hill newspaper Barrier Miner on 23 December 1954). Perhaps it's possible your aviator flew one of these?
23 Dec 1954 - Flying at 5d. Mile (http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article49977159)

Also on Wikipedia there's a big list of aircraft that have used VW engines. Perhaps one of these relates to the story? (scroll down close to the bottom)
Volkswagen air-cooled engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_air-cooled_engine)

regards

Ren

Arm out the window
12th Oct 2012, 05:40
Sounds like the Rollason Turbulent - some info on Wiki.

chimbu warrior
12th Oct 2012, 06:44
Could it have been a Druine Turbi? I understand that there were a couple of these built in Australia around that time.

See here Druine Turbi (http://www.sabc.org.au/All/Photos/Aircraft/DruineTurbi/index.html)

bushpig
12th Oct 2012, 07:20
The Corby Starlet had a VDub engine as well as Jodels. I flew a single seat Jodel a few times in the 70's with a VW engine and it was good fun. There were two blokes in Canberra who built more than one Jodel (VW powered) from memory at separate times, I believe around the late 50's to 60's. I was a kid in the area then. I am fairly sure they were Artie Powell and Vic Southwell. I also have a feeling one or the other or both made a few long cross country excursions, whether around Australia though I don't know.
The one I flew was later than that and was built from scratch including the prop and an engine reputed to have originally come from the Queanbeyan tip. It had to go through a full test flying program as so much of it had been manufactured from basic materials. I did some of it and had a ball "screaming" around the Captains Flat, Hoskingtown area at about 70 knots.
There was a fellow though that used to fly a Corby Starlet quite long distances as well that I vaguely recall something about. Sorry can't be of more help.

Dick Smith
12th Oct 2012, 07:21
Could be . It was a single seater and I am pretty sure it had a VW engine.

Hydromet
12th Oct 2012, 07:26
I vaguely recall the story, and think it may have been a Jodel - the name rings a bell, anyway.

truthinbeer
12th Oct 2012, 07:35
Dick, that would be the North Shore Times which is now owned by News Ltd but once part of Cumberland Newspapers (I think). They do not appear to have an archive search function and the editions that far back are probably not digitised anyway. Maybe if you contacted the paper they may provide access to archives. The paper only came out once a week on a Wednesday so there would not be too many editions to search through.

Dick Smith
12th Oct 2012, 07:57
Maybe. But I think it was more likely in a Sydney daily newspaper. I have done some searching but can't find anything. I think the paper followed the trip over a number of months!

mickk
12th Oct 2012, 08:37
Australasian Post if you can find them, rare now.

Wallsofchina
12th Oct 2012, 08:52
Norman Hamilton designed an built an aircraft that basically fits that description, not 100% sure the engine was VW. The wings were rectangular profile, looked a little like a Victa.
He tried to sell it for cattle mustering etc.

Dick Smith
12th Oct 2012, 09:04
I don't think a Volksplane existed in the 1950s so unlikely it was one. I will research Norman Hamilton.

Wallsofchina
12th Oct 2012, 09:09
If it helps, Norman Hamilton was the Victorian Porsche Dealer and his son Alan raced Porsches in the '60's and I think got into Formula 5000 in the early '70's.
Haven't heard of him since, but Alan may be the best bet for any information.
Good luck.

truthinbeer
12th Oct 2012, 09:12
"Maybe. But I think it was more likely in a Sydney daily newspaper. I have done some searching but can't find anything. I think the paper followed the trip over a number of months!"

I was jumping to conclusions....should spend more time reading the request.

djpil
12th Oct 2012, 09:32
The Norm Hamilton aeroplane was the Flut-r-Bug VH-ULA (http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austmz/VH-ULA.html)
I flew one of them back in the '70's.

Obviously a Turbulent so you could have an arm out the window. I guess that Wally Watkins would've been around at the time. I recall him saying that the Turbulent was the first homebuilt here.

Frank Arouet
12th Oct 2012, 23:08
Dick.

As a kid I heard a story about a Sydney bloke who set off on such a journey in a Tipsy Nipper. Now I can't confirm his name or authenticity, (getting on now), but the Tipsy was both a factory and kit built aircraft, one seat and was powered by a Rollason Ardem, (1500cc VW). Just reading up on them in an old "Observers" book, they had a range of about 175 nm, but there was a tip tank varient that extended this to some 400nm x 80KTS.

rjtjrt
13th Oct 2012, 00:54
I understand the Hamilton Flut-r-Bug still exists, and is still owned by a member of the Hamilton family.
John

Capt Casper
13th Oct 2012, 03:01
The Airways museum website - Airways Museum / Civil Aviation Historical Society (http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/)
has a listing of Aircraft Magazine articles. From that list:-

1958 March
Our First Ultra-Light - Stits Flut-r-Bug - to Fly this Month

1959 January
Building and flying the Druine D.31 Turbulent

1959 April
The Druine D.31 Turbulent - Amateur Built Machine

The following pertain
VH-ULA (http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austmz/VH-ULA.html)
Certification of Amateur Built Aircraft - Druine Turbulent VH-ULI (http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/Druine%20Turbulent%20VH-ULI.htm)

Perhaps sourcing the articles from a library might jog the memories Dick?

Dick Smith
13th Oct 2012, 12:20
Thanks. I have checked. Does not seem to be any of those shown. I will keep looking.

OZBUSDRIVER
14th Oct 2012, 00:00
Dick, been trawling around in Trove (http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper). Can you remember a specific year?

PS Good on you up in Cairns:ok:

Pappa Smurf
14th Oct 2012, 05:09
There was a Druine Turbulent built by a Peter Hoggens in Sydney in the 50,s,mentioned in "Adelaide Byplanes "site

Vag277
14th Oct 2012, 22:51
Peter Hodgens built a Druine Turbulent powered by a VW. CAO 100.18 and 101.28 were promulgated around 1956 for amateur built aircraft. VH-PWH was first recorded on the Register in late 1958. The only VW powered approved designs at the time were the Druine Turbulent, Jodel D9 and Luton Minor. The Druine Turbi is a 2 seater powered by a Cirrus minor or similar.

Don't kow if he flew around Australia. I think he still lives in Sydney

roundsounds
15th Oct 2012, 05:27
I think you'll find his address in the CASA aircraft register under VH-PWH. (One of his latest aircraft builds)

Frank Arouet
15th Oct 2012, 06:50
I very near purchased a Luton Minor from VIC circa '84'ish. It had a JAP engine of two cylinders, single seat, and was, as told a refurbished Antarctic disposal left for years in the ice etc. Photo's somewhere. However it would be quiet a journey to circumnavigate the continent. 340 KG MAUW @ 60 something KTS.

There is something I would do if I had the time over again.

PS: there was a Luton Major of similar vintage with two seats.

Wunwing
15th Oct 2012, 20:20
Try the Bankstown local paper, the Torch. Its still owned by an independent family and may have records back that far.
There was a motor mechanic shop in the centre of Bankstown that built up VW aero engines. It is now a Vietnamese garage but the then owner always had one on the go when I was there inthe 60s and even 70s so there must have been a few VW powered aircraft around Bankstown.
Wunwing

RV6
16th Oct 2012, 21:13
Allan Mitchell - Druine Turby? Fairly recently deceased aged in his 90's - a much admired flying inventor and author.

Dick Smith
17th Oct 2012, 17:24
The Druine Turbi looks to big It was definitely a single seat low wing monoplane a similar small size to a Volksplane but without the wing struts , I think.

Seagull V
19th Oct 2012, 22:01
Dick,
See what you make of the follwing time line. The odds appear to be on Peter Hodgens.
I, and not doubt many others, would be interested to hear the full story when you track it down.

1955 - Standards for amateur-built aircraft promulgated in Air Navigation Order (ANO) 100.18 'Ultra-Light Category'.

23 Mar 1958 - Stits SA-5A Flut-R-Bug VH-ULA test flownat Moorabbin V. First to fly under ANO100.18. The approval provided for the type to be constructed from a factory kit.

Mar 1958 - News that in Sydney a Druine Turbulent wasunder construction by P.W. Hodgens.

Mid 1958 - News that in Adelaide, another DruineTurbulent was under construction by D. McCallum using PFA plans obtained by Keith Jarvis.

Mid 1958 - News that in Port Moresby, Albert Baglesswas constructing a Dart Kitten.

13 Nov 1958 - P.W. Hodgens Turbulent VH-PWH test flown at Camden. The first amateur-built aircraft under the ANO.

March 1959 - Article from “Oshkosh 365” by Peter Hodgens states “In March 1959 I was demonstrating Australia’s first certificated amateur built aircraft (at Camden)… a Druine “Turbulent” which I had recently completed.”

April 1959 - Turbulent VH-PWH is flown from Sydney to Brisbane in 6 hrs flying time.

June 1959 - Dart Kitten VH-WGL is test flown at Port Moresby.Owner/builder Albert Pascoe Bagless

Sept 1959 - D McCallum’s Turbulent VH-UEI test flown at Parafield

December 1959 - The Schneider Aircraft Company formedat Parafield S.A. to import and market the German Stark factory built version of theTurbulent.

August 1960 - Schneider import Stark Turbulent from Germany and register it VH-UEO.

August 1960 - Turbulent VH-UEO was photographed at Wentworth NSW in August 1960.

22 September 1960 - Article in Sydney Morning Herald of September 22 1960 entitled “Test Flight of Sydney Home Made Plane” states:“A single seat home built aircraft, which has been grounded for 12 months,because some- one took its undercarriage, will be test flown on Sunday. ... During the year Mr Hodgens has built a new undercarriage and installed a more powerfulengine. A second Trident (sic) built byMr. Don Blinman of will also be test flown on Sunday.”

5 October 1960 - Turbulent built by Mr. D.G. Blinman of Sydney registered VH-DGB.

November 1960 - Dart KittenVH-WGL. Registered in November 1960, to Mr. Albert Pascoe Bagless of PNG.

01 April 1962 - Turbulent VH-DGB photographed at 1962 Bankstown Airshow. D.G. Blinman built VH-DGB using the Ardem engine fromHodgen's VH-PWH. It was registered as the third Turbulent built.

September 1962 - TurbulentVH-UEI photographed at Parafield.

18 Nov 1962 - Turbulent VH-DGB crashed at Ashbridge, NSW whenit stuck power lines

November 1963 Firstflight of Turbulent VH-ULI at Parafield aerodrome

ilium007
21st Oct 2012, 01:06
Found this:
Certification of Amateur Built Aircraft - Druine Turbulent VH-ULI (http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/Druine%20Turbulent%20VH-ULI.htm)

scrufflefish
21st Oct 2012, 10:12
"The one I flew was later than that and was built from scratch including the prop and an engine reputed to have originally come from the Queanbeyan tip. It had to go through a full test flying program as so much of it had been manufactured from basic materials. I did some of it and had a ball "screaming" around the Captains Flat, Hoskingtown area at about 70 knots." Bushpig.

Bushpig, did it have disc brakes made from the circ saw blades used to build it, and was its rego PBW? (Sorry for the thread hijack Dick!)