PDA

View Full Version : Sky Demon Mobile

Flying_Anorak
11th Oct 2012, 22:25
Hi,

Having come from the silent flight world where moving maps and PDA type devices have been the norm for years, I'm really missing this when I hire PA28s etc.

I have a SD subscription which I use on an ipad and PC for flight planning, but I'm looking for a more portable unit to use in the air. Currently looking at the Airbox Clarity and SD, either the SD mobile unit or installing it on my own Windows Mobile PDA. Anyone have any advice? I've just asked SD whether there is any difference in features and functionality between the version that comes on SD mobile and if I installed it on my own PDA and a reply is awaited.

Thanks,

FA

riverrock83
11th Oct 2012, 23:02
Have you seen this web page?
Compare SkyDemon Versions (http://www.skydemon.aero/comparison.aspx)

Skydemon mobile IS the version you install on a Windows CE device (which I presume is what you mean by your PDA). You can't install it on a Windows mobile device.

Just remember that you need an additional subscription to use it "in flight" - you get a 30min demo if you don't have an additional subscription - then it will stop mid-flight.

If you want to try it on a windows CE device - they are only about £40 on ebay for devices which have fairly decent screens. They don't pretend to have the quality of the branded skydemon device but at those prices they are worth a punt. Go to the SkyDemon forums for examples.

Flying_Anorak
12th Oct 2012, 00:16
Thanks and sorry guess I should have been clearer.

What I mean is, - is there a difference in SD versions between what I can install myself and what you get on SD mobile? It seems to me that if not, even allowing for buying your own sub (which I have), the SD mobile is not the cheapest way forward.

FA

stevelup
12th Oct 2012, 06:16
You just need to pay for the Navigation upgrade and you can install it on any device you like.

Windows CE and Windows Mobile up to version 6.5 are supported.

It will work fine on the kit you're already using in your glider.

B47
12th Oct 2012, 22:20
Hang on for a few weeks for the mini iPad. Rumoured to be wifi only and without GPS, but no one's sure, so may need a GPS dongle. You'll have to wait a bit longer for dongles to become available with the new Lightning connector or have a messier connection with current types plus the Apple adapter. 7.8" iPad is perfect for the cockpit.