PDA

View Full Version : GR4/GR4A Visual ID

downsizer
11th Oct 2012, 13:31
Is there a way to tell the difference between the GR4 and 4A? Or are we only using 4s now anyway....:8

And am I right in thinking that all the 4s had one cannon removed when upgraded from GR1 standards and the 4a has no cannon?

30mRad
11th Oct 2012, 14:01
In simple terms:

Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes!

But a better answer is:

The GR4A has SLIR (Sideways Looking Infa Red) windows on both sides of the front fuselage - they look a browny colour. It also has a rotating sensor underneath the cockpit that looks like a bulbous protrusion.

There are still GR4As flying, but the recce kit is no longer maintained etc It was only any use at low-level and all the recce done (up until the decision to stop it) was done a medium-level with other external packages.

GR4 had the left hand cannon removed as part of the upgrade from GR1 to make way for the FLIR (Forwards Looking etc) cooling system and such-like.

GR4As have no cannon - all the recce kit for the SLIR and downwards stuff took up the space the cannon(s), ammo tank, spent links bay etc took up.

All the above has direct read across to the GR1As.

No change in handling etc, just significantly less space for luggage!

30mRad

downsizer
11th Oct 2012, 14:07
Thanks, thats what I thought, memory gets hazy with time...:zzz:

Courtney Mil
11th Oct 2012, 21:03
But it might have been the following. I'm a Tornado fan and not a modeller. But you have to give this guy credit for one hell of a good stab of what might have been...

Royal Air Force Eagle GR.4A "Operation Telic 2003" - ARC Discussion Forums (http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=182162&view=findpost&p=1699570)