PDA

View Full Version : BBC TV - Cuban Missile Crisis film

BEagle
11th Oct 2012, 07:12
Several months ago, the BBC did some filming at the V-force reunion at Newark Air Museum, Winthorpe aerodrome, for a film focusing on the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis.

The film is about to air. It’s going to be on BBC1 in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire on Monday 15th October at 7.30pm. Then the following week, Monday 22nd October, it will air in the East Midlands and East Anglia – same time, same channel. 22 Oct 1962 was the day on which US forces went to DEFCON 3; 2 days later they went to DEFCON 2.....:eek:

For those who live in other BBC regions, if you have Sky TV you can find all BBC regions on Channels 951-968. For example, BBC East Midlands is available on Ch 960 here in British West Oxfordshire.

Presumably it'll be available on the BBC i-Player, but I have no information about that.

spekesoftly
11th Oct 2012, 08:33
Thanks for that, especially as it's not mentioned in the RT or the BBC on-line TV guide.

Eventually found it on the Freesat EPG - Channel 967 for Monday 15th October as part of the 'Inside Out' series. PVR set. :ok:

ricardian
11th Oct 2012, 08:37
From the BBC websit (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ndhjt)e BBC One - Inside Out Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, 15/10/2012 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ndhjt)

Tankertrashnav
11th Oct 2012, 09:57
Beagle - thanks for the help. As you know I have been circulating my email address list of ex V Force guys with this info, but the additional info on the Sky Channels is much appreciated. At the time Lucy Smickersgill who did the interviews told me it would also be available on BBC i-player, but as I am a bit of an IT dunce I am not sure how to check on that!

spekesoftly
13th Oct 2012, 07:00
BBC iPlayer - Inside Out Yorkshire and Lincolnshire: 15/10/2012 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01ndhjt/Inside_Out_Yorkshire_and_Lincolnshire_15_10_2012/)

circle kay
13th Oct 2012, 22:15
Anyone around the Lincoln area may be interested in some of the events being promoted by Aviation Heritage Lincolnshire; including a talk on Project EMILY in the former Officers Mess at Hemswell on Monday night.

News - Aviation (http://www.aviationheritagelincolnshire.com/news)

50 years ago this month 60 Thors all fueled and erect all over Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and Norfolk (as we as a very active V force) must have been a very sobering sight.

DD24.5C
14th Oct 2012, 08:08
The Cuban Missile Crisis is as close we ever came and i can thoroughly recommend the following two books on the subject:

'One Hell of a Gamble' The Secret History Of The Cuban Missile Crisis, Aleksandr Fursenko & Timothy Natali.
The Kennedy Tapes - Inside The White House During The Cuban Missile Crisis, Ernest R. May & Philip D. Zelikow.

walter kennedy
14th Oct 2012, 15:02
We've just seen an excellent docco on the submarine aspect - I now have a new hero - Vasili Arkhipov.
As an aside, it was notable that. at the time, the Soviet nuclear powered subs were "grounded" and it was apparent that their conventional boats were not all that capable - if the capabilities of their other arms were also over-hyped by our media and politicians it may have been that if it were not for nuclear weapons, perhaps we should not have been held in fear of the Soviets (outside of their own back yard, at least) and perhaps we should have intervened in Hungary, perhaps Chechnya.
If only we had more leaders like JFK - stood up to the Soviets, injected billions into the western economies, with his brother and Martin Luther King promoting an environment of social justice that would have made USA truly great, etc

5aday
14th Oct 2012, 16:06
From their website:

The events to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Cuban Missile Crisis are now confirmed.
15th October 2012
A talk by John Boyes about project EMILY. This lecture is being held at Hemswell Court at 7pm. Tickets cost £5 per person and include tea/coffee.
16th October 2012
Starting from Hemswell Court, this is a coach tour of significant Cold War venues in Lincolnshire. We will be visiting Caistor, Faldingworth, Dunholm Lodge and RAF Scampton Museum. This full day tour includes lunch and is priced at £15 per person.
20th October 2012- Cold War focus at Newark Air Museum
There will be a series of talks focusing on the equipment of the Cold War in Lincolnshire with an opportunity to view the Vulcan from inside the cockpit, learn more about the Bloodhound Surface to Air Missile and hear about the role of the Royal Observer Corps. Tickets cost £15 per person
21st October 2012
Heritage Lincolnshire have arranged for the former Royal Observer Corps underground post at Holbeach to be opened up for visits. For more information or to book your place please contact Penny Ward on 01529 461499 or email [email protected]
27th October 2012
We will be hosting a series of talks in the Hardy Lecture Theatre in Bishop Grosseteste University College Lincoln. The talks will be by those who have studied the Doomsday events of half a century ago and we will have the opportunity to listen to those who were serving on the Thor sites and Vulcan bases in Lincolnshire. A fascinating day with lunch included - £15 per person.
Places on these events are strictly limited and booking early is recommended to avoid disappointment. To book your place today or for more information please call Phil Bonner on 01529 308135 or email [email protected] or Debbie Roberts on 01529 308172

I'll probably go to the Monday evening event at Hemswell.

Wander00
14th Oct 2012, 16:53
Crikey, no doubt many takers just to re-visit BG College - hands up all those who visited, had a g/f there, or even like me and at least one former CAS, acted in their plays!

Shack37
15th Oct 2012, 19:23
Had a sweep through all BBC1 regions and no luck, all Inside Out programs seemed to be dealing with looking after us oldies. Has the Cuban Crisis program been postponed? Can we see it next Monday/22nd as planned?

Anybody know, have I made a boo boo?

spekesoftly
15th Oct 2012, 19:37
It was shown towards the end of Inside Out (about the last 12 minutes) on BBC Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Should be available on iPlayer shortly, see link above in post #5.

Wander00
15th Oct 2012, 19:37
Shack 37 - It was well hidden and poorly advertised, but was the last 10-12 minutes of Inside Out as broadcast in East Angla and further north

Shack37
15th Oct 2012, 20:29
Thanks guys, I had assumed the whole program was on the subject, t'was a fairly important period after all.

Should have remembered the old adage "Never assume...Check"

Warmtoast
15th Oct 2012, 22:54
A whole stack of documents have been declassified in the States regarding the Cuban Missile crisis. The links on the left of the page below provide some guidance.

See here: CUBAN MISSILE CRISIS REVELATIONS: KENNEDY'S SECRET APPROACH TO CASTRO (http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB395/)

jimjim1
16th Oct 2012, 08:56
Thanks for this, very interesting.

The Cuban Missile Crisis article starts at 18m 53s into the program.

For convenience here is a direct link to the correct part of the program. (append ?t=18m53s to the normal URL:-)

BBC iPlayer - Inside Out Yorkshire and Lincolnshire: 15/10/2012 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01ndhjt/Inside_Out_Yorkshire_and_Lincolnshire_15_10_2012/?t=18m53s)

Blacksheep
16th Oct 2012, 09:08
If only we had more leaders like JFK - stood up to the Soviets, injected billions into the western economies, with his brother and Martin Luther King . . .All assassinated. What a coincidence. :suspect:

Tankertrashnav
16th Oct 2012, 16:04
Thank you for the link jimjim1, interesting programme with some nice archive film.

Only one complaint - that Eric Macey - he's got as much hair in 2012 as he had in 1962 - it's not fair :*

ian16th
16th Oct 2012, 17:34
My personnel recollections of the events were being posted from 214 Sqdn at Marham to Akrotiri arriving at Nicosia on the morning of 22nd Oct :bored:

Admin Wing and its cohorts just kept operating on their own wavelength.

On the British United Airways overnight flight it was a case of 'What Crises?

Wander00
16th Oct 2012, 19:26
Was at Swanton Morley on an ATC gliding course - knew something as going on, but nobody seemed to know what. I think we were all very lucky.

Herod
16th Oct 2012, 20:03
All assassinated. What a coincidence.
That's what happens to people who stand up and are counted; look at Malala this week. Those of us too scared to stand up should be grateful to them.

air pig
16th Oct 2012, 23:48
Here's a link on a report about the bomb dump at RAF Barnham, which housed 'Blue Danube' Suffolk's Cold War base on English Heritage 'at risk' register | Anglia - ITV News (http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2012-10-12/suffolks-cold-war-base-on-at-risk-register/).

Small but deadly, is anyone looking after RAF Faldingworth just north of Lincoln where a second unit was based.

aw ditor
23rd Oct 2012, 08:29
Lots of publicity about the V-Force but little (as usual) about the Kipper Fleet. I recall a 16 hour plus trip on the 24th of October 62' out of Kinloss with 120' on the first of our "planned" sorties. Nothing seen!

Any other KF' stories out there?