PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Logging Software

DTVAirport
10th Oct 2012, 17:17
I know most spotters use Aircraft Logging Software such as Aerodata, ADU, FreeBird etc etc.

As software goes, these can be slow and awkward to update, I'm just wondering why no-one has thought up the idea of creating a website with all the information on, where users can log-in, add their sightings, and not have to update every few days because the website will do it for them.

Surely it can't be that difficult?

jetstar.8
10th Oct 2012, 17:55
If it`s not that Difficult to create one go ahead
I might join

DaveReidUK
10th Oct 2012, 18:22
Surely it can't be that difficult?

It isn't.

But would you be prepared to pay to use something like that, and if so, how much ?

And whether it was free or chargeable, would you be prepared to take the risk that it might disappear overnight, along with all your painstakingly entered information ?

DTVAirport
10th Oct 2012, 20:33
I don't fully understand all the ins and outs, but I would [eventually] back everything up on servers.

I might try and put together a little team of spotters to start weighing up the pros and cons.

Groundloop
11th Oct 2012, 07:34
I always thought spotters used a book called Civil Aircraft Markings, a pen and a ruler!:ok:

boeing_eng
11th Oct 2012, 12:29
It might be worth remembering that many like to use the types of Databases you mention away from home (particularly on overseas trips etc)

The cost of using internet data for a traveler in many parts of the world is still high and reliable connections cannot be guaranteed even from hotels etc!

ConstantFlyer
11th Oct 2012, 15:25
I always thought spotters used a book called Civil Aircraft Markings, a pen and a ruler!

Surely a pencil and a ruler, Groundloop?!

Groundloop
12th Oct 2012, 08:24
Surely a pencil and a ruler, Groundloop?!

No, always a pen - pencil lines can be rubbed out. Not reliable! Reliability is important in aviation:ok: