PDA

View Full Version : FAA to GCAA conversion/validation

HiPlnsDrftr
9th Oct 2012, 20:09
Anyone know the nuts-and-bolts of getting an FAA airman certificate and medical converted for flying in the UAE?

Background: I'm looking into FlyDubai, Emirates, Etihad, or perhaps a corporate flying position. There will be some sort of license conversion, or validation, I assume. So, for those who have made the jump from the US, to the UAE, do you know whether the airlines (or GCAA) need the 'long' file from the FAA, or just the 'short file.'

The long file, as you may know, is a thick stack of paperwork, with a copy of every 8710 form, and every 8500 (medical application) that you've ever filled out in your flying life- it took about 2 months for me to receive my copies (that was in '05). The short file, on the other hand, simply shows: type rating; certificates held; accidents/incidents/violations; and class of medical. It can be had alot quicker, it seems.

Also, I had LASIK a few years back. With the FAA it's pretty straightforward and not too involved. It's my understanding that the procedure is accepted by the UAE based airlines (and GCAA), based of course, on their own thorough eye exams. So, I'm also wondering what paperwork, if any, they would want me to bring from the U.S., or do they just 're-invent the wheel' so to speak, and do all their own exams/documentation, ect?

Thanks in advance, to any of my fellow, 'damn Yankees' out there. I just don't want to get tripped up by not having my paperwork in order (in the unlikely event I should get a call soon). BTW- I've tried thoroughly to search other posts on this, but so far, no luck.

BeCareful
10th Oct 2012, 07:19
You can get a validation of your FAA license that's valid for 3 months IIRC. You can get one more validation extension before you'll need to convert your license.

Conversion is pretty much a non-event.

You'll need a verification letter from the FAA that you can get on their website outlining your license, type ratings, medical, etc.

You'll need your training file from your most recent training event - initial or recurrent. Make sure they're stamped. Usually, your employer will deal with the paperwork and you'll have to fill out some info, but that's about it.

You'll need to take a GCAA class 1 physical. Your employer will pay or reimburse you for it.

Finally, you'll need to take the Air Law Exam. It's a very straightforward 100 question multiple choice exam. Some prep and you'll be done with it in 15-20 mins.

Your employer should pay for all this and within 2-3 weeks if they do the fast track option, you'll have your UAE GCAA license.

The above is how bizjet operators do it. The local airlines usually don't even deal with validations, and your last training event will be done by them.

A fairly straightforward process.

Schnowzer
10th Oct 2012, 07:36
Short file will be fine.

stealthpilot
10th Oct 2012, 10:02
Adding to what was already said- you will need an FAA Accident/Incident Report. I had one from my previous airline but they asked for one from the FAA (Called an FAA AIE/PRIA report?)

Once you get a job the airline will help out, it's no real hassle.

HiPlnsDrftr
11th Oct 2012, 20:52
Thanks gentlemen!

tume
25th Nov 2016, 17:24
Can someone reply if these two options would work in my case:

FAA ATP, Class 1 medical, Part135 training+experience in aircraft (Pilatus), however the AC is not marked in the ATP cert as it's not a type (nor a separate class) in FAA world. I do have the class rating endorsed in my EASA CPL however. Looking for a possibility to fly the same AC in UAE.

Would either 1) Validation or
2) Conversion work in my case? And which steps would I need to take, thanks.