PDA

View Full Version : Nav Ex & Cross Country (Ireland)

Cessna 172S Skyhawk
9th Oct 2012, 13:12
Just wondering what nav and QXC's others have done from Weston (EIWT) recently.

I've done my first short Nav, and it was about 60nm (EIWT-ENFIELD-TRIM-KINNEGAD-ENFIELD-TRIM)

What are the routes that are being done at the moment out of Weston for the Nav exercies, and what are the QXC routes at the moment if anyone knows.

Also, when do you do the landing at other airfields during your training.

I wish money wasn't an issue cause I want to get it done asap, but financial constraints and all that means I have to be patient.

riverrock83
9th Oct 2012, 13:30
l that means I have to have patients.
I presume you are a doctor?

I believe when you do "land aways" are dependant on the local environment or whether you need to practice some particular aspect of flying which isn't available at your home airfield. For example, I train at a large controlled airport so we did a number of lessons where we went to a small Ground/Air airport, which involved zone transits, and so I practised short landings; radio at an uncontrolled field; overhead joins; smaller circuits there.

When doing the solo qualifying cross-country (QXC) I had only been to one of the 3 airports I landed at once before.

So in summary - there is no fixed answer. Its up to local conditions and your instructor.

rich_g85
10th Oct 2012, 08:57
I can't help with your questions around QXC routes, but your final sentence sounded very familiar.

I remember all through my PPL training, scrimping and saving for that next lesson and wishing I could do it quicker. Looking back, I think it just made me appreciate every hour spent airborne that little bit more. Remember it'll all be worth it in the end. :ok:

logie101
11th Oct 2012, 19:07
In regards the Qualifying Cross country I think you will go from Weston-sligo-Knock-Weston.
That's what i did when I did mine earlier in the year.

With Galway being closed this is really the only option now.

EiAB and EIKH are popular places to practice nav work and you will probably do a few touch and goes.

Cessna 172S Skyhawk
12th Oct 2012, 08:43
Thanks Logie, I am doing another short Nav this weekend (Weston-Trim-Kinnegad-Weston), hopeing to nail it and move on to maybe EIAB next. I am really looking forward to landing at another airfield. I think the Nav is the most interesting part of the PPL training, as it is in essence what you will be doing post PPL. How many hours is the usual total to spend doing Nav (incl radio nav). I would estimate about 10 hours or so, would I be right?

irish seaplane
12th Oct 2012, 14:58
hopeing to nail it and move on to maybe EIAB next. I am really looking forward to landing at another airfield.

I had a friend training at NFC and he was on a solo xc to EIAB, and he got denied permission to enter "Abbeyshrule Airspace" on recent Saturday morning. There are a few disc jockeys there that love the sound of their own voice so much they've moved into an X factor scenario where they even judge other people's flying.... Anyway the last I read was that it's all class G, there were no ATC facilities and clearances can only be given by ATC in controlled airspace.

So do rock on, treat it as A/G only despite what it might sound like and maybe come on a weekday. Tends to have less "X Factor".... :hmm: