PDA

View Full Version : Acute Renal Failure/Perforated bowel

meatbomb273
9th Oct 2012, 09:42
Q1.After beginning modular ATPL study in the late 2010 I was diagnosed with Acute Renal failure post severe dehydration. No cause was found with only a best guess at it being due to Ecoli. It resulted in a full recovery to full (MOD)flying status albeit with slightly higher than optimal blood pressure.
Q2. Earlier this year I endured a perforated bowel. No surgery was undertaken and have since recovered pending medicla category upgrade.

Having read through the CAA IR's for the areas involved I require perhaps some assistance in decyphering the terminology and if any of my conditions are associated/affected.

Are there any AME that could give some constructive advice on wether these past conditions could affect the application for a Class 1 Medical?

As you can imagine I am slightly apprehensive at approaching the medical system for fear of the worst.:\

Phororhacos
9th Oct 2012, 17:32
Are the bits you read

Genitourinary Guidance Material | Medical | Personal Licences and Training (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2499&pagetype=90&pageid=13808#RenGUDis)

and

Digestive Guidance Material | Medical | Personal Licences and Training (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2499&pagetype=90&pageid=13816) ?

if not then they are worth a look.

If they are, then can you be a bit more specific about what you want translated from the medicalese.

If you hold a valid civilian med certificate, (even if only valid class 2 with class 1 expired), I am afraid you are obliged to notify the CAA of your medical conditions.

If you have never held a civilian medical certificate it would be worthwhile gathering all the reports available to your doctors and submitting them to the CAA at (or even better in advance of) your initial Class 1.

YSSY
22nd Oct 2012, 03:09
Meatbomb - what sort of perforation was it? Diverticular Vs Ulcer disease etc... I would guess that given your age it would have been ulcer disease - but having said that - the fact that you were treated conservatively I assume diverticular is more likely??

Basically you could in theory go back to flying when there is no more free gas in the abdo cavity (usually with a few weeks). From a longer term point of view:

Diverticular: no reason not to be able to get 1st class re-instated. (As long as only one episode) - multiple is more complex.
Ulcer disease - need to be symptom free at 3 months following episode AND have proof that the ulcer has healed. (You may have difficulty getting that on NHS unless you speak with your Dr and explain you cannot work until its done.)

I'm afraid renal failure is out of my area - unusual for dehydration to have caused all of it - if you have normal renal function now I'd just tell them that you took a lot of neurofen (ibuprofen) with the e.coli and associated abdo cramps...! We had a fit and well 21 yr old who managed to get admitted to ICU with just dehydration and ibuprofen not so long ago with full recovery.

Good Luck

meatbomb273
12th Nov 2012, 16:50
Phora,YSSY

Thank you for your advice so far, I have recently received the results from the virtual CT Scan conducted earlier in Sept. The findings were positive in the fact that there is no perforations of the sigmoid colon since the July episode. There were three to four Diverticuli present but all were benign. I still await upgrading due to a slow admin system but having read your posts, the CAA advice IR's and some US literature feel a lot more confident in applying for a Class 1 in the future. Any further advice is still appreciated!!