PDA

View Full Version : Have I already done the CPL QXC?

liam548
8th Oct 2012, 20:49
Ok, am I right in thinking that the QXC for the CPL is a 300nm trip with at least 2 stops within a 24 hour period?

The points have to be measured as straight lines on the chart, so not flying to your local airfield with a turning point in Germany for example.

Having looked at my log book I have a flight that seems to fit the bill.

Netherthorpe to the Isle of Wight, Bembridge is 158nm direct line according to airbox, on the way back I called in at Turweston just off track so a total of 316.5nm done within 7 hours.

Nothing signed up like on the PPL QXC but it is in my log book and I did it.

Is this correct?

:confused:

pudoc
8th Oct 2012, 23:17
Yep, sounds like you've done the CPL QXC. Nothing needs to be signed.

I also know plenty of people that did 300nm total distance as opposed to a direct line and the CAA had no issues with it.

I've also heard stories of guys flying to 4 airfields all within 50nm of their departure airfield, all in all it totalled to 300nm. I always thought it was 300nm direct, but apparently the CAA don't really care.

truckflyer
8th Oct 2012, 23:59
It does not need to me in a straight line, as long as you can explain/show route/flight plan if asked to produce your flight!

I am pretty sure they do check some of the flights, probably not everyone, but they do make control checks, so it is good if you have done it properly.

Example if flying around London from the East, is not always possible to make a straight line, due to the city and controlled airspace restrictions!

liam548
9th Oct 2012, 06:54
Good news then, and I did not even intentioanlly set out to do it on them trips.

I will mark the 3 flights in my log book from that day up as CPL QXC so it is clear.

Thanks

B737900er
9th Oct 2012, 10:39
I think anyone who has completed their PPL and in the hour building stage should actually think what are they trying to achieve!

I personally set out to meet the new set of requirements I.e the CPL.

There is no point flying around for 100 hours to then say "oh I need to do the cpl x-country qualifier", that should been your first trip as a PPL pilot.

Just food for thought.

truckflyer
9th Oct 2012, 10:59
I actually checked I had done mine during my Navigation Solo for my PPL, was not conducted in the UK and was over 20 years ago, but still was my QXC, which I did few times later again!
At the time I was not aware what use it would be for me later!

Whiskey Bravo
9th Oct 2012, 13:00
My accidental QXC was LFRS-LESO-LPVZ, 543nm as the crow flies, so hopefully that should be enough for the CAA...

liam548
9th Oct 2012, 14:52
I think anyone who has completed their PPL and in the hour building stage should actually think what are they trying to achieve!

I personally set out to meet the new set of requirements I.e the CPL.

There is no point flying around for 100 hours to then say "oh I need to do the cpl x-country qualifier", that should been your first trip as a PPL pilot.

Just food for thought.

To be fair I am not quite at the end of the so called "hour building" stage and I for one use my PPL to actually go places, not merely ticking boxes and burning holes in the sky.

Distance does not cause me any concerns and I would quite happily go and do a 1000mile trip if that was required.

I was merely asking as I wanted to check I had met the criteria (I thought the above flight had but wanted to check). I will be doing far longer trips than this in the future but may not want to rush around within the 24 hours period, I much prefer seeing the places I fly to, staying over night etc.

B737900er
9th Oct 2012, 16:37
I wasn't making a dig at all, and I'm sorry if it has came across as that. If you have the funding to do that then go ahead and do it, it would be far more memorable that way.

liam548
9th Oct 2012, 16:43
I wasn't making a dig at all, and I'm sorry if it has came across as that. If you have the funding to do that then go ahead and do it, it would be far more memorable that way.

:ok: indeed, and also I think you would probably learn a few more things along the way too.

No offence taken, and I agree to some who probaby want to get things done quicker then a clear plan is required but I am not in so much of a rush.

:)

ZuluZuluAlpha
10th Oct 2012, 01:27
Does the QXC have to be done in the same country where the PPL/CPL will be issued & is it a requirement for UK CAA only or all EASA states?:confused:

PURPLE PITOT
10th Oct 2012, 13:14
Make a clear note of it in the remarks column of your log book. When you are filling in the application form, and scratching about for dates and flight times, it will be so much easier to find!

truckflyer
10th Oct 2012, 14:05
ZuluZuluAlpha - Cross country could even be done on the moon, not a problem!

Mine was done in another country, so I know, not a problem!

pudoc
10th Oct 2012, 22:46
"oh I need to do the cpl x-country qualifier", that should been your first trip as a PPL pilot.

You were either very good or very brave to do your first PPL flight as a 300nm journey. My first PPL flight was a nice local flight.

B737900er
11th Oct 2012, 23:42
I was brave enough to do it! You won't learn anything if you don't push yourself. I was more than comfortable using radio aids to help me plus good preparation made the flight a lot easier.