PDA

View Full Version : Worlds best spotting spots.

Straight Dave
8th Oct 2012, 15:12
Hey gays,

I am a film maker that has been thinking for a long time about doing a proper documentary style film on some of the best spotting areas. Places like St Maarten etc.

I'm looking for any location globally that has the most stunning approaches.

I'd really appreciate if you could give me your number one spotting spot with money as no object. Legal of course.

Cheers!

Geezers of Nazareth
8th Oct 2012, 19:38
I suppose it depends upon what you'd classify as being 'stunning' - does a stunning location and good view meet your criteria?, or does it have to be a particularly 'hairy' approach with lots of turns?

Tincontin (sp?) in Central America - I'm sure that somebody will be along soon to give full details. A very large hill right in the approach for the runway, aircraft make a curving approach to land. Check it out on YouTube!

For a similar close-up, but not especially spectacular approach, aircraft landing at Marseille from the south - there's a large hill at the end of the runway where the aircraft pass level with you.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Oct 2012, 19:59
<<Hey gays, >>

Speak for yourself!

Suzeman
8th Oct 2012, 21:12
Tincontin (sp?) in Central America

Tegucigalpa Toncontin in Honduras

See here
Tegucigalpa, Honduras Toncontin airport landing - YouTube

and here
Cockpit view of a jet landing into Tegucigalpa Honduras TGU - YouTube

Very interesting place - been there as SLF

Suzeman

Cymmon
8th Oct 2012, 21:20
Try also ACE, Lanzarote or Caticlan , Philippines.

Straight Dave
9th Oct 2012, 07:55
Ooops, lol,sorry about that.

Hey Guys!

SpringHeeledJack
9th Oct 2012, 09:04
Hello Gays from Straight Dave :}:ok: Out of interest, are you more interested in the spotting spots, or the spotters spotting in the spots ? I'm guessing the former. There have been films in the past showing the most dangerous approaches in the world etc etc on the Discovery Channel, so that angle might have been covered to a point. What's the treatment looking like ?

SHJ

Straight Dave
10th Oct 2012, 03:45
I think Im just going to focus on getting really solid shots of some of the tricker landings/takeoffs.....

betterfromabove
10th Oct 2012, 15:52
22R at Nice, Skiathos, 15/33 at Sumburgh, Alderney, Fair Isle, Papa Stour, Faeroes, Funchal are all legendary and have their challenges. Couple in Greenland and Iceland you can find on YouTube too.

For sheer beauty, I would rate Nice (from either end), Salt Lake City over the lake, RH downwind into Orly over Paris, descending/climbing out over Grand Canyon LAS-DFW, Santos Dumont in Rio, overflying Afghanistan in winter, Geneva over Mont Blanc....there's a thousand others I'm sure, but they're the ones I know.

This is commercial ops of course. As for GA, well, you need to speak to your North American bush flyer buddies!