PDA

View Full Version : UAAA Almaty Kazakhstan

g450cpt
8th Oct 2012, 06:22
Hello All,

I'm new to pprune so I hope this is posted in the correct site. I have a trip to UAAA for a week and was wondering if anyone could give me any insight. ie hotels, handling companies, things to do, etc. Thanks in advance.

noneya
8th Oct 2012, 07:39
We like to use World Aircraft Services in Almaty! We have tried them all and they are the best.

g450cpt
8th Oct 2012, 07:43
Thanks for the quick reply. When you get a moment could you send World's contact info so I can give it to my dispatcher? Its nice to get a recommendation from someone that has been there.

machone
8th Oct 2012, 08:14
Try the company I work for, hotels are ok city is good to see getting cooler though. pm for contact details

AbuK
8th Oct 2012, 13:08
I used to live there, great place and shouldn't be too cold yet. Contact Prime Aviation, they all speak good english and have significant corportae experience. I think the web address is Prime Aviation (http://www.primeaviation.kz)

noneya
8th Oct 2012, 15:17
G450CPT

Prime is an okay company and I have no problem with them, unlike like some of the other companies in Almaty, but they deal more with management of aircraft and charter. World Aircraft Services in the business of handling and is owned by a guy from the US, so English is not a problem. If you are going to be in and out of Almaty on a regular basis you will be happy to know they are building a hangar and it should be done at the end of this year into the begin of next. PM and I will give you my contact info.. I have been living in Almaty since 2007 and I will show you guys around!

J

g450cpt
8th Oct 2012, 15:39
Noneya,

Thanks for the info. I looked at Prime's web site and it did look more like a management company than it did a handling company. I sure don't want handlers hawking me for business in their management fleet. I contacted World Aircraft Services and was very pleased with the fact that they could meet all of our handling needs at a very fair price. I look forward visiting Almaty and seeing the sights.

Dave Clarke Fife
8th Oct 2012, 15:47
. I have been living in Almaty since 2007 and I will show you guys around!

J

Will that be the architectural and cultural look around or just Soho and Sugar and Spice et al?? 😎

His dudeness
8th Oct 2012, 18:18
Have been handled by Prime and it was okay. We have used Berkut in the past which are a pain, to be polite.

Would be interested in the contact details of World Aircraft Services...

silverware
8th Oct 2012, 21:00
Good hotels are not abundant, Hyatt is nice and has a good gym/pool.
Go to Medeo/Chimbulak for a walk in the mountains, it is really beautiful up there compared to the city which is pretty grubby.
Food is cheap, wodka even more, enjoy!

Propellerpilot
9th Oct 2012, 08:44
I can recommend the Intercontinental Hotel - it has a few restaurants inside with different cuisines to choose from and an inhouse pool, gym and sauna area.
Also used by by other crews i.e. Lufthansa.

Aslak
10th Oct 2012, 15:23
The InterContinental (former Regent Ankara) and Rixos Almaty are both great hotels. There is no Hyatt anymore, it is now rebranded to Rahat Palace, and I have not visited that place since the new ownership.

If you gonna be there just for a short stay, or the budget has some limit, the Holiday Inn across the street from InterContinental is fine. Just book the larger rooms. About half of the price and ok breakfast.

I agree, the Berkut seems to be pain now-a-days, have to try the World one next time.

Have fun!

silverknapper
10th Oct 2012, 15:39
Rixos gets my vote.

patience
10th Oct 2012, 16:32
the sauna/spa and pool at the Rixos are fantastic

g450cpt
28th Oct 2012, 15:06
Well we stopped through Almaty for a few days on our around the world journey. Looked up World Aircraft Services on their web site. They provided excellent handling support and took care of all of our needs. Hotel was very good, meals were great, drink flowed, all in all it was a very enjoyable layover. I will make sure we use WAS on our future visits to Almaty.