PDA

View Full Version : Defence Discount Service

Kitbag
8th Oct 2012, 04:58
Announced (http://www.expressandstar.com/news/uk-news/2012/10/06/armed-forces-discount-shop-scheme/) at the Tory Party Conference as something new and wonderful and available on the internet. Is it just smoke and mirrors, a rebranding of the old Forces Discount Booklet?

SOSL
8th Oct 2012, 10:07
As you rightly observe the UK MoD Forces Discount Booklet has been around for years; but it didn't seem particularly easy to use.

If this proposed new website makes it easier to get discounts and, if the discounts are worthwhile getting, it will be an improvement on the old system. It might also encourage more retailers to take part in the scheme.

Or it might just be smoke and mirrors.

Rgds SOS

Rosevidney1
8th Oct 2012, 11:01
I rather fear it will prove to be more visible particulate matter cleverly distorted by a reflecting device and further spun by political surgeons.:*

Jumping_Jack
8th Oct 2012, 15:14
I had a look at the new site. To be honest I don't think the discounts are anything special (5% here, 10% there). No more than you would get as a civie just by asking....or just waiting for the sale. Smoke and mirrors...

Roland Pulfrew
8th Oct 2012, 15:50
Hmmm. Sounds remarkably similar to Rewards For Forces - discounts for the forces community (http://www.rewardsforforces.co.uk/) supoported by the "Forces Favourite"! :}

Defence Discount Ser
8th Oct 2012, 16:26
Hi all,

I saw the post and thought we would come on to answer any questions. We really are trying to make the Defence Discount Service something that people can use and that gets people a discount where they would like to receive one. We have invited members of the Defence Community to suggest any companies that they would like to see involved.

The membership card launches in the next couple of months and already has some retailers such as KFC, Burton, Austin Reed as well as companies such as Bellway Homes and Vodafone. We are building this up before launch and hope to grow the retailers involved in the coming year and years after this. We are also involving local communities and inspiring local business to offer discounts to the Armed Forces within their communities.

Tom Dalby
Head of the Defence Discount Service

Jumping_Jack
8th Oct 2012, 18:49
Tom, thanks for taking the time to reply. You will probably note a number of responses that are rather suspicious of this initiative. Having seen a number of these discount initiatives in the past that have been more style over substance there is a fairly high level of cynicism to overcome! Good luck! :ok:

SOSL
8th Oct 2012, 18:56
Thanks Tom. I hope it works - please give it your best shot.

Rgds SOS

Roland Pulfrew
8th Oct 2012, 19:06
We have invited members of the Defence Community to suggest any companies that they would like to see involved.

Aston Martin? 50% discount?? :E

I know: hat, coat

earswentpop
8th Oct 2012, 19:16
Tom,

Is there a fee for the card? A one-off or recurring charge? If so, how much?

It seems the ideal opportunity to introduce the elusive Veteran's ID card.

This lot are also doing a discount card Rewards For Forces - discounts for the forces community (http://www.rewardsforforces.co.uk/)

Good luck.

EWP

Defence Discount Ser
8th Oct 2012, 20:34
Thanks for the replies from you all, good to hear everyones view.

Rowland :E you never know, you never know.....

I know that there is a lot of cynicism, I can understand it. This is not a rebrand, it is the start of something new and hopefully we can create something that does benefit the end user.

There will be a charge for the card at £4.99 for a 5 year membership. It is purely optional and the online, cashback and giftcard offers are free to use. We will let people know the companies involved on the high street so that they can see the discounts available and can decide whether they want to get the card or not.

We are looking to involve local communities and we will be looking to work with Councils and MP's to develop the discounts in different areas of the country.

It is an ongoing project and we hope to keep adding to it for the Armed Forces Community.

Thanks again

Tom

golamv
8th Oct 2012, 20:54
This is yet another case of "smoke and mirrors" - I have looked at the site and the "discounts" offered are similar to those which you can get as a civilian.

Some "military discounts" are LESS than than you get if you go direct to the company and ask about military discount!

For example I bought an iPod direct from Apple a few months ago and was given 10% discount .. with Defence Discount Service (DDS) you are offered 6% discount.

Most people are aware of the 20% discount that military, some council workers, police, NHS etc can get from most of the mobile 'phone companies.

A good place to start to save money is hotukdeals.com and a decent cashback site is quidco.com - these should save you more than the DDS will.

This new scheme will only go to show how little discount is offered to UK military and their families, especially when compared with how the military are treated in the USA.

On a side note, I am annoyed at having to pay £15 per year for my Forces Rail Card .. it used to be free! Is the £15 just to cover the admin fees associated with having to pay for it now?

Sounds like a "self licking lollipop" to me! Why can't military people just show their ID cards for discount on trains etc .. it seems pointless to issue a card to give you discount but force people to pay for it when you carry a photo ID card anyway!

:rolleyes:

just another jocky
9th Oct 2012, 17:37
A number of years ago, a friend of mine worked for Barclaycard organising a staff discount scheme for their workers. The discounts he was able to organise were waaaaaaay above 5-10% (ISTR 35%+) and has been said, 5-10% is what you can easily get simply by asking for, whether you have a mil id or not.

I don't decry what you are trying to do Tom, but your numbers are far too far short of anything particularly special. Sorry.

Lima Juliet
9th Oct 2012, 18:23
Tom

Your forward leaning post is most welcome. I have used Military Discount in the past with some great savings:

Jaguar Mil Sales
Land Rover Mil Sales
Cotswold Clothing (online and in store)
Barbour Clothing (online only)
Vodafone
RAC
Austin Reed
Halfords (they gave me a trade card at the local store in Lincoln)
Shakeaway Milkshakes
Costa at service station (why can't they do this in Costa stores)
RAF Club free accomodation post operational tour

And an absolutely brilliant saving on a massive variety of things whilst on duty or holiday in the USA.

Here would be a further wish list for an online or in store discount rate:

Hackett Clothing
Joules Clothing
Belstaff Clothing
Levis Clothing
Ralph Lauren Clothing
Sports shops (JJB have just gone under)
Kwik Fit/ATS or another major tyre or exhaust supplier
Timberland Clothing
Waitrose
Sainsburys
Bus companies (various)
WH Smiths
Wyvale Garden Centres
Lakeland
B&Q/Homebase/Wickes or other major DIY store
Yo Sushi! Restaurants
Zizzis Restaraunts
Cafe Rouge Restaurants
Carluccios Restaurants
John Lewis
Starbucks
Costa Coffee

That is roughly my shopping secrets revealed... Anything you can do for that little lot would be great for a middle ranking officer. :ok:

All the best

LJ

muttywhitedog
10th Oct 2012, 05:35
I've recently booked a self-catering cottage using a 12% discount code that was feely available on the East Coast Trains website - compared to the 10% discount that is contained within our "exclusive" forces discounts site.

The only discount I've ever found meaningful on there was the 50% off AA cover - the rest can be bettered in civvy street.

Whenurhappy
10th Oct 2012, 06:50
I would also add:

Boden (becasue Mrs WP spends a fortune on line there)
Chas. Tyrwhitt

I also have a 5* holiday cottage in the Lake District (sleeps 8) and can offer SP or ex SP about a 15% discount. I wish I could offer more, but the overheads are staggering.

Red Line Entry
10th Oct 2012, 07:43
While such discounts are welcome, I would prefer to see some effort directed at councils to ensure that they implement the Central direction that military home owners receive a 50% rebate on council tax when they live away in quarters for Service reasons.

I'm having an on-and-off battle with my council and I know there are plenty of others!

sapperkenno
10th Oct 2012, 08:02
I used to be in the Army, and it was nice to get the odd discount here and there, but this was at a time I was earning a pretty decent wage and all my food/accommodation was taken care of giving me around £1200+ per month to "piss away" on whatever I wanted.
Nowadays, as a Civvy and struggling to make ends meet working three jobs, paying rent, council tax, energy bills and buying food and running a car, I'm lucky to have £20 at the end of the month.
How about a veterans discount, seeing as most of the Armed Forces are on a decent whack anyway and don't have to worry about struggling to make a living in the real world? Those of us who gave our time in service shouldn't be forgotten about when we move on!

Jumping_Jack
10th Oct 2012, 08:36
Costa don't offer a discount anymore just by showing an ID. You now have to go to their website and print off vouchers! :ugh:

Red Line Entry
10th Oct 2012, 09:38
sapper,

I don't think military discounts are based on an analysis of whether the average squaddie is well off or not. If it were, then they'd be offering discounts to the unemployed and poor.

I think it's done for one of 2 reasons:

Recognition that military peeps can (and do) give their lives in defence of the country. It's a mark of gratitude - thus when you're no longer liable for the call to arms, no more discount.

Probably more commonly, as a focused marketing attempt to gain additional sales by targeting a section of society. Military discount is just a slogan to hang it from. - But I'm still grateful!

racedo
10th Oct 2012, 10:05
The question for Tom is

What is the real discount and how much of this is actually coming back to pay for admin / salaries etc for those running it.

L J R
10th Oct 2012, 11:45
A REAL discount is FREE entry to events....Just like the US Military and their FAMILIES...until them, it is all a big plot to get 'free' endorsement that the supposed seller is assisting the military....That is all smoke and mirrors....

Defence Discount Ser
11th Oct 2012, 09:41
Hi all,

Thanks for the comments above, all taken on board. Thank you for the suggestions on companies - some of these we have involved and the rest we will work on to see if we can get them involved.

Sapperkenno - this service is available for Veterans - please feel free to use the service - it is there to reward those that do and have served the Armed Forces.

Whenurhappy - have Charles Tyrwhitt involved with the service - both online and will be in store

We are trying to get some event places involved, the discounts in the USA are far more evolved and we are looking to build a new culture towards it in the UK.

Racedo - companies can offer a discount for free and give the discount to members. The idea is that this allows companies to offer a larger discount and allows small businesses within the community to offer a discount.

We will be adding discounts all the time going forward, as mentioned this is the start of something and will build over time. This will hopefully give us something meaningful that will benefit the Defence Community as a whole.

Thanks for your time and input

Tom

Jumping_Jack
12th Oct 2012, 12:51
I wrote to Costa Coffee regarding their new policy....it is even worse than I previously stated...no discounts.

A copy of their response.

Thank you for emailing Costa I can confirm that our company policy is that we do not currently accept armed forced discounts, however we are aware of some inconsistencies in our stores. We are looking to review this operationally.

:hmm:

Wander00
12th Oct 2012, 13:01
JJ - What does that mean - sack the managers of shops still giving the discount!

unclenelli
12th Oct 2012, 16:20
HALFORDS
We've all shopped there.

DDS (https://www.defencediscountservice.co.uk/index.php?p=offerdetails&cid=141&oid=3142) - Upto 1.5% cashback on purchases

QUIDCO (http://www.quidco.com/search/?search=halfords) - minimum 4.5% cashback (upto 5%)

... and Quidco don't charge you £5/yr for a plastic card.

huwliet
12th Oct 2012, 16:47
Just to reply to Unclenelli and i'm not standing up for either as i'm intrigued by DDS but also a big fan and user of Quidco.

DDS Card was a 5 year card at £4.99, so 99.8p a year. Quidco take £5 of your cashback every year.