PDA

View Full Version : DC-3 Joyflights In Sydney?

Flyer517
8th Oct 2012, 03:53
Hi All

Just wondering if anybody knows of any places doing DC-3 joyflights in Sydney or within a few hours' drive of Sydney (probably no more than 2 hours' drive away).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Flyer

Fantome
8th Oct 2012, 07:23
That's correct cock. Not one flying now in the Sydney Basin since Dakota National Air folded. But. .. . . but . .. . if you PM me with indication of how keen you are and how many potential supporters you can help me coerce, we could get one on the job with a month or twos organising. The Dak is ready to go.
The owner's keen to sell. A cashed up syndicate just possibly might pull it off.

LeadSled
8th Oct 2012, 07:58
Fantome,
I hope you are not thinking of the DC-3 currently parked at YSBK.
It is a complete aeroplane, but a very long way from flying any time soon.
Indeed, what needs to be expended to get that one back in the air is serious $$$$$.
Tootle pip!!

Wunwing
8th Oct 2012, 10:32
HARS has a C47 operational and Albion Park is close enough to the Sydney basin but its in Limited Category so not available for non members.

It seems to me the only DC3 worth operating is one with a freight door which allows a much more varied deployment.Though even the US and Canadians seem to be heading to using re-engined PT6 versions.
Wunwing

LeadSled
8th Oct 2012, 14:01
---- Limited Category so not available for non members.

Wunwing,
That's probably a HARS policy, it has nothing to do with any limitation imposed by the CASRs.

In fact, one of the objects of Limited Category is to enable the general public to fly in aircraft such as ex-military machines --- generally referred to as Adventure Flights --- See CASR 21.189(3).

You do not have to be a member of any association, club etc. to fly in a Limited Cat. aircraft.

Tootle pip!!

Flyer517
8th Oct 2012, 21:29
Thanks folks. Just confirmed what my googling had failed to find. A shame.

DC3Qld
9th Oct 2012, 00:39
How about you make a day of it and book a cheap flight to Melbourne and take the day trip on a DC3 to King Island. I have been reliably informed that it is a great experience.

Flyer517
9th Oct 2012, 02:30
There's a thought. Might give that a look-see.

Ejector
9th Oct 2012, 13:49
What did the right prop hit?

http://d391ajziizh6xg.cloudfront.net/media/products/au/321x214/SHS341_03.jpg