PDA

View Full Version : Inspired by Jean Batten

Peter Bell
8th Oct 2012, 01:40
Hi
My name is Peter Bell and I’m a writer and director currently doing some research on the NZ Aviatrix Jean Batten, who made several historical flights in the 1930s. In mid Oct 1936 she stayed at the Hotel Australia in Sydney for two nights during her record flight from England to Australia to New Zealand.
I am very interested in the couple of days Jean Batten spent in Sydney as this was a very dramatic time in her life. She was being urged by not to attempt the trans-tasman flight and also offered huge money by Frank Packer to abandon the flight and do a lecture tour of Australia. She was engaged to Australian commercial pilot Beverly Shepherd at this time. (Who tragically died in 1937)

I’m keen to find out if there were any people who were inspired by meeting Jean Batten at this time -while these people will probably have passed away if they later wrote about her or talked about meeting her I would like to hear from you. This person may have been a relative or a friend of yours. They might be young women pilots or people who worked at the Australia Hotel where she stayed. As well as the regular hotel staff – the Hotel Manager apparently organised a team of secretaries for her to deal with the multitude of requests made on her while she was in Sydney and also to deal with the 1700 telegrams that were sent to her at the Hotel.
Any leads gratefully received.
My contact is [email protected]
Thank you.

PPRuNe Pop
11th Oct 2012, 21:33
You might care to contact Bob Pooley at Elstree, he was a personal friend of hers. She died many years ago IIRCC and was buried in a paupers grave.

Just Google Bob Pooley.

Peter Bell
15th Oct 2012, 01:34
Thanks very much for the lead. Cheers Peter

atb1943
23rd Oct 2012, 22:45
Peter,

may I assume that you have a copy of her book 'Alone in the Sky' and that you are looking for more details than are contained in its Chapter 17?

If not, please pm me, I'll be happy to assist.

I also have photos of Jean signing my copy, and Jean together with Bob, her publisher, on 6 September '79 at Cranfield.

brgds
Alan