PDA

View Full Version : Antiques Roadshow....... 8 O'Clock tonight from RAF Marham

SRENNAPS
7th Oct 2012, 19:06
Just thought some of you might be interested:)

CoffmanStarter
7th Oct 2012, 19:48
Yep ... £500 for a Clapper Board from the Battle of Britain Film ... we ought to have a collective whip round and present it to BEagle :ok:

Is this the forerunner to a new BBC programme ... "Cash in the Hanger" :}

NutLoose
7th Oct 2012, 20:35
Wouldn't the one from Biggles be better?

MATELO
7th Oct 2012, 20:51
Shame the MOD have gotten rid of all the antiques at Marham.

Nonetheless, Mr Robinson could dig up a few fossils.

Rigga
7th Oct 2012, 21:25
...or "Cash in the Hangar", even?

Hey! Someone's taken my coat and just left the....

500N
7th Oct 2012, 21:35
"we ought to have a collective whip round and present it to BEagle http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif"

How about getting BEagle to the location and using the money
to get a couple of actors to re create a few scenes involving
Susannah York, Mr Warwick from the BoB ?:O

I reckon he would smile from then on to eternity.

CoffmanStarter
8th Oct 2012, 07:22
500N ...

It might be easier to re-enact the scene at the Jackdaw Inn ... which is till going strong !

I'm sure uniforms won't be a problem ... so a "role play weekend" it is then. ;)

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/28941757.jpg

This from their web site ...

Welcome to The Jackdaw, Denton ...

The Jackdaw was originally called The Red Lion changing its name in 1964 as the then owners, Whitbread, felt that there were too many pubs in the area by the same name. The new name was derived from ‘The Jackdaw of Rheims’, the work of Sir Thomas Ingoldsby, a one time local resident.

The inn gained much notoriety when it featured in the 1969 MGM film, ‘The Battle of Britain’, and there are scenes, staring Susannah York and Christopher Plummer, which were shot in the public bar area and outside.

Whilst preserving the old world charm of a country inn at the front the Jackdaw has extensive, contemporary dining areas behind, as well as a beautiful yet secluded beer garden at the back. The Spitfire room is of particular interest being home to a wealth of WWII RAF memorabilia and is ideal for small parties of up to twelve looking for something a little bit special.

The Jackdaw Denton Kent (http://www.thejackdaw.info/)

Best ...

Coff.

BEagle
8th Oct 2012, 07:22
I did suggest to a colleague on Saturday that she should attend the next Goodwood Revival dressed as Section Officer Harvey.....:ok:

I narrowly escaped injury....:eek:

Coff, it's good to see that the Jackdaw hasn't gone the way of the famous White Hart at Brasted, which is now a ponced-up gastro pub....:mad:

I was told by someone involved in making the movie that it started off very well, but the British weather meant that they had to relocate to somewhere sunnier, at which point things became rather disorganised and the flying soon petered out.

CoffmanStarter
8th Oct 2012, 07:32
Thanks BEagle ...

I posted a bit more for you under the "Section Officer Harvey" thread ...

Best ...

Coff.

SOSL
8th Oct 2012, 10:16
Doesn't it look inviting? Quite a good website too.

Rgds SOS

snapper41
9th Oct 2012, 16:20
Having watched the programme, and the interview between Fiona Bruce and the OC of a low-numbered sqn, I wonder if that Sqn should be re-named II(Absolutely) Sqn? The response to every question began 'Absolutely...':*

CoffmanStarter
9th Oct 2012, 16:26
Was it Ms Bruce or the Squadron Boss who declared an interest in Costume Jewelry ?

NutLoose
9th Oct 2012, 17:30
Nice website, better than one for the half way house outside what was Swinderby, that still has the Christmas 2010 menu on it!

CoffmanStarter
9th Oct 2012, 19:49
The menu was that good then :}