PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair 737 Rating?

jasonjdr
10th Apr 2002, 09:18
I might have missed the post's on this one. But just in case no-one else realised.

I was just looking at Ryanair site again, as a colleague on the same course as me from OATS has just got an interview. Since 05/04/02 Ryanair now only accept apps from type rated applicants!?

I hope they did receive my initial app? I suppose it's no surprise given the current climate, but it makes my heart sink as these small threads of hope are being cut away! :(

Avenger
10th Apr 2002, 10:40
Despite the contention of the £50 application fee there were a very large number of applicants for pilot positions, both type rated and non type rated.

Of course some of the older applications are still being filtered and some folks may not have received the confirmation or debit from their bank cards yet.

The new criteria is as you say 737 rating and min 300 hrs time on type.

Don't get depressed as criteria change with availability and there is always a need to get the balance right between inexperienced and vintage people, the other consideration is the need to retrain the experienced people with new sop's etc.

Keep focused.. good luck

Blondebird125
11th Apr 2002, 16:23
Avenger,

Do you by any chance know if those applicants who applied before 05/04/02 will still be considered?

steamchicken
11th Apr 2002, 17:08
But did they "accept" the fifty quid?

Commander
3rd May 2002, 08:08
My nephew just got in, with about 300 hrs and 20-30 multi. His school was called upon and asked to send a few students they thought would make the tests.

Not a very exciting contract but still - it gets him flying and gets a job. Not bad going.... maybe just luck. Still i'm stuck without a job and see him buzz by me. Maybe I'll hear him on the twr freq when i'm doing touch-and-goes in my PA28 :D

jasonjdr
3rd May 2002, 11:54
Ryanair are going back to OATS and asking for feedback on applications submitted by students, as to whether they should take them further.

Apparantly, a first time IR pass with 89% av pass rate in ATPL's is no longer good enough (so I've been told, as thats me!) Because I failed an earlier flight test (not my CPL), then I am not sutible for recommendation in this instance.:mad:

Its a hard old world out there!!

Dolfke
3rd May 2002, 15:17
89% av. pass rate on the ATPL?!?!?
Djeezes, the avaerage number of people who pass their atpl in one time is only about 8% here in Belgium and they sure don`t have 89% average.
Of course if you redo a few exams your average may increase but that option is not open for people who pass the first time.
damn this just gets worse and worse. :(
Good luck to all the people who do make that average (surely not many belgians among you ;) )

scroggs
3rd May 2002, 21:55
It's inevitable that when jobs are scarce, those few companies who do wish to recruit will go for the best they can get - it's a buyer's market. Ryanair (and others) are using exam results as a filter to get the best candidates to interview, as is their right. At least they're still looking at low-hour people!

We've been saying to you guys for some time that it's not enough just to pass the exams; you have to pass them first time and with the highest mark you can possibly achieve. Now you know why.

TwoDeadDogs
5th May 2002, 01:29
hi there
the latest rumour from a Ryanair Captain...eight Oxford guys have started with FR,on ZERO pay,having paid for the Type and are paying stg£90 for each sector they fly, to fatten MoL's pension.In this day and age, pilots are reduced to slavery to get jobs and the unions are standing idly by...no other job would accept it.
regards
TDD :mad:

FRIDAY
5th May 2002, 07:11
I swear officer, I meant to hit the brakes and not the accelartor, shall I help scrape Mr O'Leary off the tarmac, No says the officer but you can pay the ambulance driver when he gets here, he won't drive patients for free you know, no matter how well he means to provide a service.;)

Real Men land where they like

Liquid Lunch
5th May 2002, 10:48
In reply to TDD

Before I start I would like to say that I don’t work for Ryanair.

Stepping back and having a look.
The traditional way of getting the interview doing the type rating, line training and then employment is the way that most airlines work. You are then bonded for about 3 years where you pay back for the type rating and line training. If you leave within that period you have to pay from your own pocket the remainder, fair enough.

With Ryanair, as painful as it may be, you pay 15,000 + VAT for the type rating up front. The line training you do you do not pay for unless you leave during the line training and then you have to give back stg 90 pounds Sterling per sector, fair enough. Once you have finished line training you have a choice, you can carry on with Ryanair if they employ you or you can leave and join someone else without repaying for anything more, there is no bond, you’re a free agent to do what you like, this could be an advantage for some.

So you see, in either case you pay for the training and no one is forcing anyone to either go the traditional route or to pay 15k upfront, the choice is entirely yours. If you don’t like it don’t do it and I don’t see what the unions have to do with any of this, you’re not forced to do any of the above.

All the best,

LL

jasonjdr
7th May 2002, 10:57
My graduating buddy got a job at Ryanair! Graduate from OATS, low hours, etc. Starting in June. Good to know there are still possibilities. :D

(he also got a call for a interview from City Express ! some people get all the luck:rolleyes: )

IRRenewal
7th May 2002, 19:21
Ryanair are going back to OATS and asking for feedback on applications submitted by students, as to whether they should take them further.

Isn't there something called the data protection act?

XK8
7th May 2002, 21:57
jasonjdr,

Out of interest when did u finish at Oxford, and when did ur friend finish who has now become employed?

I finished in March and similar to u achieved first time passes in CPL and IR, all ATPL's first time with a 90% average, together with being formerly airline sponsored too. However not a sniff of an interview has come my way.

Looks like a long while without a (flying) job at the moment

jessie02
7th May 2002, 22:26
Scoggs and jason

You say that one has to achieve 89% plus in all the exams and pass first time!!

What happens to those of us that haven't managed this feat?

Effectively , we are out of the running.If that is the case and i was just beginning the study , what a major setback it would be if i failed just 1 exam.

also , does that mean that OAT would never put forward one of there students to Ryanair if they failed an exam?

Dont the employers consider the other individual skills that you may possess other than the ability to memorise reams of data?

Lets face it , some people are naturally brilliant at passing examinations but have the common sense and commercil acumen of a potato.

jess

Dolfke
8th May 2002, 02:27
yes, but people with too much common sense will get a free will and start makin trouble.
MOL is the one who has to be commercial, he wouldn`t want his pilots to be so because then they might start to take over or begin on their own.
Plus they`re Irish, they love potatoes.:D

Ok just kidding.

I know that results on theoretical exams aren`t saying a lot about the capacities of a pilot, but they are the only thing they have (short of a sim session) to make a first selection for the thousands of resumes they get.
Sorry.

Dolf

p.s. I don`t have 90% average either:(

jasonjdr
8th May 2002, 10:16
XK8

Both of us graduated in September / October last year. He had his applications in straight away, while I was a couple of months behind (for various reasons which I won't go into hear). I also know of at least three other people who are going for interviews / SIM assesments with Ryanair at present. All of whom are from OATS and will have graduated before me. Take it that either you are recommended by OATS (and in order for that to happen you will have to have first time passes in almost everything! (see below) Lets face it airlines can afford to be very choosy at present) which means you are more likely to be looked at, or the airlines are working their way through the backlog of apps and everyone has a chance. I am purely speculating.

Ryanair have presumable gone back to OATS in order to reduce their workload, and save sifting through all the apps. I find it a little fustrating that my career is now controlled by the fact that most airlines will now be doing the same for the same reasons. Why spend time and resources doing something when OATS have already done it for you. It makes commercial sense.

Jessie 02

Totally appreciate all your comments. Unfortunatly it is the nature of the beast in the current market. I would not let it deter you from starting your studies. Things change, and really it can only get better. Its down to you to work your hardest and make sure that you obtain the best results possible. My friend who now has the job offer failed air law the first time, but everything else was very good. Everything helps. One day you may be down the pub and be speaking to someone who turns out to be the chief pilot, you get an interview, and hey presto! stranger things have happened. But enough dreaming:D

FL395
14th May 2002, 01:24
Hey there
i don't see why you are all getting so annoyed....
yeah i'm in the same place MOL holding all the cards...but really are we really that desperate to work for such conditions??
Don't we have our own minds...????
Me i am refusing to even apply and work for someone like that and certainly having worked hard enough i'm going to bide my time and get in with a carrier that is worth waiting for.
The market will pick up albeit slowly but i'm boycotting MOL's airline because i'm just not used to be taken for a mug.

I suggest that all potential pilots out there should boycott FR too and eventually it will force MOL to create better working enviroments and pay conditons for all new recruits....
:D :cool: :D

fieldlanding
14th May 2002, 10:38
FL395

Dream on!! If you got offered a jet job and you had to pay £15K to get it your saying you wouldnt take it!! You have paid the best part of £50K just for the licence in the first place. Guys have to take these jobs, they have bills and debts to pay from their training and no one else is hiring.

The guys who take these jobs will have several thousand hours in a few years when the industry picks up and paid off some of their debts . They will be the guys to get the NEW jobs and the better terms. You will have cooked several thousand burgers and have NO hours. Who will be better off?

I am not saying that I agree with what is happening but why bite your nose to spite your face.

I started with FR a year ago as a 150 hour guy. I earned peanuts for the first year. I now have over a thousand JET hours and take home £3000 average a month. Sounds better than Burger King to me!!

FL395
16th May 2002, 03:21
Fieldlanding
If you were hired a year ago then you weren't in the position of having to pay out for your training. I guess you were/are bonded.
Plus you weren't on half sector pay that is being offered now???
Yeah i would love to join FR but after paying out IEP45K
i now don't have another STG15-20K for MOL and frankly i think he's just screwing us guys out there for everything.
My bank loan only goes so far and am i right in saying that they chuck you out on the line for 50 sectors and then make the decision after that so you could end up out on your ear and be STG20K in the hole......with no job......
Plus most other airlines say in their contracts "upon successful completion of your type rating" whereas MOL is upon successful completion of your 50sectors.....
I just think he is taking advantage of people like us who are out there scrapping every red cent just to get by and fly and screw us for yet more.......
I don't know of ANY other airline who operates like this....
The pay for your type in advance only came in last Oct and guys/gals who got in before that are bonded....right???
So sure i'd jump but at what cost????

G-SPOTs Lost
16th May 2002, 05:21
Nurse.....

Fieldlanding is ot of bed again :rolleyes: