PDA

View Full Version : ADF pilots and trainees too few or too many and what's ahead

From Left Field
5th Oct 2012, 12:39
As word goes around, I've heard there are both RAAF and RAN pilots getting through 2FTS and then waiting for operational conversion for up to 18 months, whether they be in ALG, ACG, 92 Wing or at Nowra. Is this really the case? If so, is this happening for all types? Surely once graduated, pilot trainees must wait before the next course but is 18 months the norm across all groups? How many student pilots are in this "limbo" and what are their options (if any!)? I've even heard one tale of trainees been offered to leave the ADF without obligation before they begin 2FTS as they were told there were no operational conversion courses available for them for the next 2 years!

On the other side of the coin, and simply from what I'm told, Oakey is getting through many of the army BFTS graduates and getting them onto type...? Are the received and incoming Tigers and ARH-90's assisting in this pilot throughput in AAAvn? Or are army pilot trainees waiting just the same as their RAAF and RAN colleagues?

So, what's the situation ADF ppruners? Are you or your students feeling the pinch for hours and conversions after ab initio training? If so, how are you meant to spend that time in limbo (e.g. do you get opportunities to fly at all?)?

With the recent announcement to "commit" to Growler conversions, incoming C-27J's and LHD's, is the outlook any better for this apparent surplus of ADF trainee pilots? Are the guys and girls going through BFTS and 2FTS now and in the next 24 months facing an unknown period before conversion? Even so, what kind of recency are active/operational pilots able to maintain in the future if there's such a backlog or glut of pilots now?

OK, enough questions, I'll leave it to the masses.

From Left Field
5th Oct 2012, 12:46
Just read this in another thread...

The introduction into service of ARH and MRH is a debacle, probably not of AAAvn's making but it has significantly delayed the progression of new pilots through the Corps. Four years to join an operational squadron from day of appointment is what many new pilots have faced. There are too few flying hours around for most aircrew.

From Left Field
7th Oct 2012, 00:35
Any takers?

Arm out the window
7th Oct 2012, 05:17
It may be helpful if you give an idea of who you are, what you want to know for and so on, rather than just an anonymous request for info. Are you a journo? That's not a bad thing but if so it would be only polite to declare it up front.

Certainly it's no secret there are longish waits for conversions.

Tibbsy
7th Oct 2012, 09:25
On the other side of the coin, and simply from what I'm told, Oakey is getting through many of the army BFTS graduates and getting them onto type...?

Not sure you're being told entirely correct information.

From Left Field
7th Oct 2012, 12:06
It may be helpful if you give an idea of who you are, what you want to know for and so on, rather than just an anonymous request for info. Are you a journo? That's not a bad thing but if so it would be only polite to declare it up front.

I'm just a GA pilot and I've always had a keen interest in the ADF's hardware and those who fly it. Particularly when it comes to ADF pilot training as it's likely far more exciting than mine ever was!

For a first poster, sorry if I was asking too much. I hope it wasn't too prying. No, I'm not a journo. It's a harmless request to know more about what I'm hearing on the grapevine and to quell my curiosity regarding ADF pilot training, not to glean any knowledge or 'gossip' for my own or anyone else's advantage.

Certainly it's no secret there are longish waits for conversions.

What kind of waits have been normal in the past and is the wait now exceptional... 18 months? Are trainees really being given the option of forgoing their ROSO and leaving as there aren't any OCU's that can accommodate them?

Not sure you're being told entirely correct information.

I had assumed that from the start. Thought there might be someone lurking around here that might have a better idea of the situation than those I'd spoken to.

Arm out the window
7th Oct 2012, 20:37
It's not that you were asking too much, just good to have some context to pitch replies. Good questions and well worth discussing.

I left the services a couple of years ago and am certainly underwhelmed at the idea that some young pilots have to wait months and even years for conversions. That's certainly way different to when I started in the 80s, where a couple of months would have been unusually long between the end of pilots course and the start of conversion.

I'm sure the current situation breeds discontent and contributes to a kind of loss of belief in the system, which is a shame. Just when young boggies should be out flying their arse off, a lot can't.

Reasons for the situation? Numerous, I guess. Some that spring to mind are bottlenecks in training units due to experienced instructor availability, and the relentless drive for budget cuts and efficiencies, plus the relatively high cost per flying hour of a lot of the more complex and modern types, making it a bigger deal to just get airborne than it once was.

Generalisations there, but a couple of ideas anyway.