PDA

View Full Version : Thats some achievement!

san2dee
4th Oct 2012, 12:08
I have had the privelege of working with this gentleman!

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Business (http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20111225/biz.htm#4)

Aviation Notes
Impeccable record of 20,000 flying hours
by KR Wadhwaney

Ronald Banerjee, a Lucknow boy, became a helicopter pilot of an exceptional skill and tenacity with his own efforts and talent. He flew both civil and Air Force aircraft with distinction. He achieved a record of 20,000 flying hours in helicopter flying - a record unlikely to be broken in near future.

Banerjee flew all types of aircraft -single and twin-engine, in all kinds of weather, particularly in eastern hilly areas, for 48 years in the Indian Air Force and ARC (Air Force Research Centre) before bidding adieu to flying recently.

When asked in ARC that he was fit enough to continue flying, he said: "Enough is enough". "I have enjoyed every moment of my flying, including bewitching and exciting experiences on compassionate duties and in the company of VVIPs, from July 17, 1963, to August 12, 2011,” said highly satisfied Banerjee.

“I had some hilarious moments in the cockpit with VVIPs on board the aircraft,” he said while on a short visit to Delhi from Saharanpur.

It was a mere luck that Banerjee became a pilot. After the 1962 Chinese aggression, the government felt that Indian 'jawans' should possess 'military discipline'. He was among the chosen students to do 60 hours of 'powered flying' in various clubs.

He chose Lucknow’s Hind Flying Club, which was owned by Raja Bhadari and its chief pilot was Capt PP Tikku.

In March 1965, Banerjee was enrolled as a cadet in the Indian Air Force at Coimbatore for ground training. He underwent flying and other required training at different centres on varying aircraft. He had night training at Jodhpur before becoming a pilot officer on December 31, 1967.

Banerjee has some unforgettable memories when he flew VVIPs like President Giani Zail Singh and Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on official assignments in Air Force helicopters. When an aircraft commanded by HS Sekhon was over Kamakhya Temple, the then President Giani Zail Singh sent an envelope with Rs 100 to be dropped at the temple.

The commander had passed the envelope to co-pilot Banerjee.

In MI-8 helicopters, two pilots sit on either side while a flight engineer occupies the centre seat. As the envelope got deposited at the right spot, Banerjee, in excitement, slapped the thigh of the President, who was occupying the seat of the flight engineer.

When he came to know that it was President, he felt embarrassed at his action, but the President took the 'accidental incident' philosophically. He had several such incidents during his 48-year flying career.

Ian Corrigible
4th Oct 2012, 14:36
After the 1962 Chinese aggression, the government felt that Indian 'jawans' should possess 'military discipline'.

Artist's rendering of jawan ground crew handling an item of GSE:

http://www.fantasysfblog.com/pics/jawas.gif

:E

I/C

san2dee
5th Oct 2012, 11:35
Ian, That picture and comment was totally out of context. Sometimes we should not comment just for the sake of commenting. Sarcasm has its place, but this definitely is not it. Lets keep the forum clean and share good stuff. If you envy the gentleman's achievement (I doubt many can)- try and emulate it. We will applaud you for it. Cheers!

CharlieOneSix
5th Oct 2012, 12:23
He achieved a record of 20,000 flying hours in helicopter flying - a record unlikely to be broken in near future.

A remarkable total but I think you will find that TipCap accumulated 22,000 hours from when he started in 1965 until he retired in 2009 and I'm sure there are many others around that figure.

TimdeBoer
5th Oct 2012, 13:26
https://fscbua.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pSCQOI9ArxaykW2-88cicQ92xFszvICw8dP8BPgW5g0YhtoCRN00S4CM1zs386UJQUnEESZukhRi fJ96Um7w7-tbKgkW0sso-/Sijt%2020.000.bmp?psid=1

This was 2009, he continued flying the S-61N till it was taken out of service in 2011.
He is still a glider instructor.

Tim

heli-cal
5th Oct 2012, 14:40
Ian, That picture and comment was totally out of context.

You, (the OP) posted on a public forum, to solicit comment from members, and that is what you got! A very funny play on words! :D

IC, that was so funny I almost sprayed Earl Grey all over my laptop, then laughed myself to the point that I could barely breathe. Thanks you! :ok:

Ian Corrigible
5th Oct 2012, 16:59
san2dee,

Sorry that you've had a bad day. No offense was intended to Wg Cdr Banjee. Ironically, rather than being a Tw1tter-esque 'comment just for the sake of commenting,' my post was actually intended to avoid your thread from disappearing into the black hole of page 2. If you look through my history you'll notice I do this fairly frequently, to help keep the discussion alive. Think of it as a public service. Kind of like jury duty, but without the free lunch. (Or the opportunity to send telecallers to the chair.)

As far as 'envying the gentleman's achievement,' hell yes. Since I spend more time flying a desk than anything else, I envy anyone who gets the chance to log hours up there. It's why we're in this business.

Fly safe.

I/C

grumpytroll
5th Oct 2012, 22:03
This post is about one mans achievements, not a challenge to name others who have done more.

This is a great read. I applaud this gentleman on a successful career. As I read this post I wondered what it must have been like to be a pilot in India. I don't think it was anything like the U.S. Army for example. I suspect we were pampered comparitively speaking.

20,000 hours is indeed very rare. I know retired airline pilots with 30+ years who have not achieved this milestone, although I am sure there are some that have. Anyone who flies 20,000 hours in any aircraft, is in rarified air. I am 52 and have been flying for 27 years. Probably take me another 30 yrs to get to that mark. I will discuss it with my doc.;)

Cheers to Mr. Banerjee

helicopterray
6th Oct 2012, 03:08
I met a gentleman on a jobsite about 10 years ago when he passed his 20 000 hour milestone. We had a public celebration.
He was working for a competitor, but none of that mattered. It was an accomplishment to be celebrated.

This is on the helicopter side.