PDA

View Full Version : Type rating examination / test

BigGreen
3rd Oct 2012, 19:18
Hello,

Please could someone tell me how a type rating exam and test is conducted? If the examiners are the same people as the instructors for the TRTO is this not a conflict of interest? Or does an external JAA/EASA examiner take part?

Northbeach
3rd Oct 2012, 22:06
I have been “typed” in three aircraft; the cost for each type rating was paid for by my employer.

The first time the ground school portion was done at the home base with company instructors, the simulator training was contracted out with a vendor. I came back to the home base and took a check ride in the aircraft with a company Check Airman who was simultaneously qualifying as a designated examiner with the FAA. A FAA examiner was on the aircraft for my type rating overseeing both the company Check Airman’s and my performance.

The next two type ratings were paid for by my current employer. The ground school portion was done in house with company instructors, as was the simulator sessions (6 or 8 simulator sessions from memory). The type rating was conducted in the company owned simulators and administered by a company designated examiner.

Following the type rating in the simulator one spends several days flying revenue flights with company instructors in the aircraft. Eventually one is “signed off” to fly revenue flights. During this time the pilot is a “high minimums” Captain where additional restrictions are placed on them until they acquire enough experience in the particular jet.

The usual process goes something like this; system ground school (about 2 weeks) followed by a comprehensive written examination. The examination will have at least 2 parts, a review of the required memory items from the limitations section of the manual and the emergency/abnormal checklist required memory items. The second part is a test of the various systems and general performance problems to be answered. Usually this is a “big” test; 100 or more questions.

Following the written test one will move on to the fixed procedural simulator; no visuals or motion but allows for hands on training by moving switches and watching “things” happen (FMS, FMC, “flying” normal profiles, low visibility approaches, and running checklists). The next phase is the full motion simulator where after a quick review of normal operations failures and abnormals are practiced.

The check ride itself is more like a normal flight from one point to another and along the way several things happen. For example a partial failure of the FMC and/or flight instruments followed by a cargo fire (requiring a diversion) or an engine problem (requiring a shut down and diversion). The approach will likely be a non-precision down to minimums with the aircraft landing close to it maximum weight limits for the runway and or weather conditions. The specifics will vary but you will need to be comfortable with whatever failures "they" have dreamed up.

At our airline the philosophy is train to proficiency. As long as the pilot makes a solid effort they will not experience any problems. The instructors will not recommend the pilot for the check ride unless they are sure the applicant will pass. The vast majority of people do just fine.

Occasionally somebody will fail the type ride, usually that is caused by a major omission that was not ever discovered or rectified. Retraining is offered as is another attempt at the type rating. Some pilots elect not to try and upgrade and remain as First Officers. These failure situations are extremely rare, as by this time the applicant has been with the company for many years and is well known.