PDA

View Full Version : IFR renewal advice

Crabbe
3rd Oct 2012, 08:32
Hi all,
My predicament, I've got a MECIR with ILS NDB VOR LLZ come December it would have been two years since initial so I'm trying to do the quickest and most cost effective renewal. My plan is to do a single engine renewal with just a NDB approach in sim and ILS in the AC will this hinder me renewing to my original IFR ME ratings the next renewal. Or could I even go more tighter and just do a ILS.

AussieNick
3rd Oct 2012, 10:49
If it has been over 2 years since your last IR Renewal you are required to perform each approach you are going to be endorsed on, with a sector entry in an aircraft. I think you can do the DME in a sim, but ILS, VOR and NDB in the aircraft.

Less than 2 years I think the min you must do is 1 in the aircraft, the remainder can be in a sim.

Angle of Attack
3rd Oct 2012, 11:35
Just do the lot, by the time you get in a sim and fly an aircraft for the ILS you may as well get the whole renewal, it won't cost much more either way, unless you are afraid of an asymmetric approach....

Crabbe
3rd Oct 2012, 20:52
Hasn't been two years yet, can't see the point of paying for a twin if I don't need to, so an ILS and NDB is the min aids required?

Ted D Bear
5th Oct 2012, 04:07
I think you can just renew NDB if you want, but the ILS will also renew LLZ - and VOR if you do it before the 2 years are up. But if you do it SE you'll only be renewed as SECIR.

GoCompany
31st Oct 2012, 12:52
If you go more than 2 years your rating will lapse and you'll need to do an initial issue test again rather than a renewal. The minimum aids you have to have to just keep a current rating is either NDB or VOR, so you could get away with only doing one if that's the way you wanted to go. If you were going to keep the NDB though I'd probably fly the extra 0.3 and do an ILS as well to keep the lot...