PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here looking for advice?

KevinGallagher
2nd Oct 2012, 00:41
Hi guys my name is Kevin, im 24 and from central scotland, i have always wanted to one day be a commercial pilot and now i really want to do something about it, i had a flying lesson last year with leading edge flying school in Cumbernauld, the guys were great and i really loved it,
I am wondering if there is anyone on here that had done the same and obtained ther NPPL or PPL and hopefully be able to advise me the best way of making my ambitions come true?
I am willing to do what ever it takes to achieve this and im aware that this is not a cheap profession to persue,

Any help or advise would be much appretiated :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys .

olliehill
13th Oct 2012, 07:08
hi kevin,

i started my ppl about 3 months ago and id reccommend trying to find a local non profit, flying club. thats who im with and really enjoy it, and their prices are a lot better than most other places too.

best of luck!

redsnail
13th Oct 2012, 09:15
I'd pop over to the GAPAN (http://www.gapan.org) site for starters.
They do skills testing that isn't attached to any course or type rating so it's an impartial as possible.

Firstly, before you spend a cent/penny/euro, are you colour blind, serious visual defects (+5 dioptres) or do you have diabetes? If you don't know, go to your local doctor and find out.

Secondly, the flight schools will not tell you this. Not every one who graduates with a CPL will get a job. Bear that in mind when you are visiting the various establishments.

flystrathclyde
13th Oct 2012, 09:36
Kevin,

Worth looking at 'Professional Aviation Training in the Highlands' from Air Service Training at Perth Airport.

They are part of Perth College ( Highlands and Islands Universities) so it should give you some security.

Speak to the guys at Leading Edge as they will know about it from their link with ACS Flight Training who are the official training partners.

Many of he students post on here regularly.

Allan

marcus1290
13th Oct 2012, 10:52
Hi Kevin,

I finished my PPL with Leading Edge this summer after 8 months of lessons. I did my test after 46hours and this was down to the quality of the instructors and the availability of the aircraft. Since then i have used my licence almost every week and im now doing my ATPLs with Air Service Training in Perth and im loving it. I believe you can do the course with them from 0 flying to full frozen ATPL if thats a route you were thinking of. I like Perth because im free to head back to Glasgow and work at the weekends.

Leading edge has a good facebook page and forum where someone will always answer any questions you have. I found it very useful when i was doing my licence.

Hope this is some use to you,

Mark