PDA

View Full Version : Type Rating / Base Training

mrsurrey
1st Oct 2012, 18:31
Hello,

I'm not planning to do a type rating but I'm going to save up for one as a contingency in case I need it.

Please could you tell me whether the done thing is for people to buy type rating on it's own or do they also buy base training?

Bascially a type rating is about E15,000 and a type rating with base training is about E20,000 so I need to know whether I should be saving up E15,000 or E20,000.

La Amistad
2nd Oct 2012, 07:12
Most people seem to pay for rating and base training. Then as you have a rating but no hours and will be unemployable you will also need to save up so you can afford to pay for at least 500 hours and living expenses. Then if you don't get a job soon after doing P2F you will need to pay to keep your rating current in the sim every few months. Then expect to work for pittance for a while after buying, I mean getting your first job. I would double or triple what you are thinking of saving to be honest.

Good luck.

IRS ALIGN
2nd Oct 2012, 10:33
Unless you complete base training you cannot get the type rating endorsed on your licence.

If you have an FAA or CASA licence then you do not need to complete base training but if you have a JAA licence then base training is compulsory.

alwaysontime
2nd Oct 2012, 10:46
You would be better off saving around £25000 and saving it until you are in a position to offer to pay for it if offered a job. I know some airlines in the far East take ab initios on so long as they foot the bill for a rating. By doing a type rating you may make the situation worse - lets say you do an A320 rating, but then find the only job on offer is on a B737-300 and they want you to pay for the rating or take out a bonding loan?
Whats your plan then?;)

IRS ALIGN
2nd Oct 2012, 11:30
Can you name these airlines that employ ab-initio pilots?

RTN11
2nd Oct 2012, 14:39
how many people are actually going off and buying their own type rating with no whiff of a job at the end of it?

It's absolutely nuts. If they don't want you with CPL/IR and min hours, a type rating won't change that. I would only ever commit any finance to a type rating when there is a solid job at the end of it. Otherwise you're just throwing good money after bad.

IRS ALIGN
2nd Oct 2012, 15:07
I think you'll find that the amount of pilots who complete a type rating without the intention of applying to a line training package is fairly slim.

flyforfood1
2nd Oct 2012, 16:13
Oh and by the way under the new EASA licensing if you don't find a job within a year and 3 months its back in the sim....and, if you don't find a job after 4 years - cough up for another rating!

i) expiry shorter than 3 months: no supplementary requirements;
(ii) expiry longer than 3 months but shorter than 1 year: a minimum of two training sessions;
(iii) expiry longer than 1 year but shorter than 3 years: a minimum of three training sessions in which the most important malfunctions in the available systems are covered;
(iv) expiry longer than 3 years: the applicant should again undergo the training required for the initial issue of the rating or, in case of helicopter, the training required for the ‘additional type issue’, according to other valid ratings held.

IRS ALIGN
3rd Oct 2012, 10:20
Or.....wait for it.....you could just keep yourself current with one sim session every year! :D