PDA

View Full Version : Canadian wanting to work in UK

Jennifer
9th Apr 2002, 21:08
I currently hold the following licenses (issued in Canada):
PPL, CPL, mulit-engine, instrument rating, class 4 instructor rating. I want to work in the UK (I have citizenship), and want to know how my canadian licenses rate against the UK's. Will the hours I've flown in Canada be accepted? Will it simply be a matter of writing a few tests and taking a few test flights? If anyone out there can help I would really appreciate it!

Jetgate
10th Apr 2002, 01:44
The CPL (flying part) and Multi can be converted within a nominal number of hours, they only need some local area training and some procedural stuff for example on the multi they will give an engine out on climb out at about 200AGL!. Instructor Rating can be converted with 15 flight & 30 Ground. The essential difference to Canada is that NOBODY does CPL theory over here. Instead, they do ATPL theory as they don't have the 700 Hr rule here anymore. This involves trawling through a huge syllabus (14 subjects and for example the MET paper alone will have close to 100 questions, total exam time is over 20 odd hours, yes you have to do them all at once! NO I'M KIDDING!!!! [It's just very late]) However, it's not Rocket science.... thank GOD!

There is no written for the Instructor Rating over here but you can't just teach Night, CPL, MULTI and IR just because you have the ticket. You have to do upgrade courses to qualify. However, your Canadian Instructor notes will help as you should have already written the stuff for Night, Radio Nav, Advanced Instrument etc. I'm not sure if there is a minimum hours requirement before one can even think about teaching CPL (which is where the money is in teaching over here..... CPL Instructors get close to 60,000 C.Dollars per annum).

If you eventually want to do Airline work then there is more robbery ahead. Yes more expensive course!!!! However, if you want to convert an ATPL then it is slightly different. My advice to you is crank away over there, around the 1000hr mark get a job on a multi-pilot aeroplane to build up to the 1500. Then when your getting close, start the European ATPL distance learning..... AND SAVE ALL YOUR MONEY!!!!! Your gonna need it...

Jennifer, this post is quite disjointed and I apologise but then I'm beat from doing 11 hours at work and etc, etc. So I suggest you use the 'Search' function for Conversion info to get a another angle. You can also e-mail me directly if you wish. Also, I think most of what I've said is pretty negative, but if you have the money and the time then it is certainly attainable. If you don't have either (like me...) it's still worth a damn good try!

Adios.

D.J.