PDA

View Full Version : RN FAA Aircrew flying clothing regulations inc. leather jackets A2 at that :)

chopper2004
1st Oct 2012, 10:53
Just twigged that junglie aircrew have always worn combats and wondered if the new Multi-Terrain Pattern (MTP) had been configured for JHC aircrew across the board now.

Also noticed a variation in leather aircrew jackets worn by by the RN Historic Flight (at either Duxford or Yeovilton air day) which were similar to the Aviation Leathercraft approved MoD jacket but with slash entry pockets (no button closure) and no velcro cover for the sleeve pen pocket. Then again some of the Swordfish crew had the RAF leather jacket with all velcro and button entry pockets.

And there was a 'bagger' at Yeovilton Air Day who had a brown US A2 style jacket!!! He had his rank on epaulettes and the squadron patches and RN wings on leather tag. I originally thought this must be an Oz exchange officer as all their aircrew be it RAAF, AAAC or RAN have a modified A2 jacket so their epaulettes are velco fastened to change rank.

Are FAA aircrew regulations slightly different to the RAF and AAC and with regard to the leather aircrew jackets, are slightly flexible providing they display the right brevet, rank and smart enough.

Cheers

alfred_the_great
1st Oct 2012, 11:58
Rule of cool - if you can get away with it (and SPLOT/SOBS don't catch you) game is on!

Mick Strigg
1st Oct 2012, 12:07
You can only wear what the Aircraft's Release to Service document states that you can wear to operate the aircraft.

At present, I do not believe that any aircraft RTS allows the wearing of leather jackets, but I'm willing to be proved wrong.

Runaway Gun
1st Oct 2012, 21:00
Oh they definitely would not have been worn in flight, but put on after landing ;)

Runaway Gun
1st Oct 2012, 21:01
Actually I'm fairly sure that Spitfire, Lancaster, Hurricane and other historic types still flown were okay with Leather Jackets...

Stitchbitch
3rd Oct 2012, 10:44
Mick, with the best will in the world, that's never going to happen..:E

RG :ok:

12 PSI
9th Oct 2012, 20:52
Chopper2004, Top marks! That was an Australian Navy issue leather jacket that I was wearing - it was issued to me during my exchange posting with HS817 Sqn a few years back. It is not cleared for flight by our RTS, but then I most certainly would not wish to do so anyway as it weighs a ton! It has kept me warm and dry on a number of occasions after landing, and has drawn many comments from various quarters. As to whether I am allowed to wear it... :p

chopper2004
10th Oct 2012, 11:41
Cheers 12 thanks for confirming, much appreciated so its strictly airshow wear :) :)

I think I distinctively talked to you at the show, as we knew some common peeps and I was actually at the show on business so to speak.

:)

Which brings me to another question do the RN Historic Flight have specially made aircrew jackets from Aviation Leathercraft as in RTS cleared or is it the same across the board for all FAA aircrew.

Cheers

airborne_artist
10th Oct 2012, 12:27
I think I distinctively talked to you at the show, as we knew some common peeps and I was actually at the show on business so to speak.
I'm sure that no Naval Occifer knows anyone common. Perhaps you meant "we know some people in common", which is entirely different. ;)

chopper2004
10th Oct 2012, 12:32
Airborne,

Yep I'm just slightly fatigued at this time so what you said is what I meant :)

Cheers and good night :)