PDA

View Full Version : ATPL's. Bristol distance learning

willjeffery
9th Apr 2002, 20:08
Is there anyone out there who has done or is doing the distance learning ATPL coarse from Bristol?

I would like to know what the coarse is like, Have you regreted not studying full time at somewhere like ATA at coventry and would you recomend a distance learning coarse?

GonvilleBromhead
10th Apr 2002, 07:18
Yes the notes are first class, cd-rom excellent and the brush up gets you upto speed for the exams.

DL is ideal for me (full time job), and with the SUSTAINED effort put in, you do get results (first time passes in module 1), so it does work if you do.

Many other guys on here also recommend it (no, I don't work for them). Best thing is arrange to visit them, they are more than accomodating. See what the material is like for yourself, talk to the guys who are there doing the brush up etc.

All the best

FlyingForFun
10th Apr 2002, 08:30
Started distance learning with Bristol a couple of months ago. On the whole, excellent.

As with any distance learning, you will need to put some effort in. Bristol split each of the 2 modules into "Frames", with each frame containing 2 or 3 subjects (usually with progress tests) and expected to take 1-2 weeks.

Most of my spare time is at the weekend, so I find the following works for me: during the week, after work, read the material. (I usually do 2 subjects/week, since that seems to fit in with the amount of free time I have - it doesn't fit in with the frames, but this doesn't matter at all.) This gives me a few days to digest the basic concepts before the weekend. Then, on Saturday, study the material in depth. On Sunday morning, do the tests on the computer, go over any errors and make sure you understand the correct answer. On Sunday afternoon, do the progress test for real (make sure you leave enough time that you're not repeating the answers from the computer test by rote - this might help you pass the progress tests, but won't help pass the real exams!)

Obviously the way each person studies will be modified to fit his/her life-style, and this study pattern may not work for you.

Good points about Bristol:

The staff seem to be friendly and helpful, and respond to queries quickly
The notes are excellent
The CD-ROM is generally very good - there are a few minor glitches where questions have been copied without the necessary diagrams or background info, making it impossible to answer some questions without finding the same question in the printed notes, but overall the CD-ROM is a big help
The course structure is very good

Bad points:

They still haven't sent me any of the Jeppeson material which is required for the Flight Planning course. They claim this is because Jeppeson themselves have run out, and they're waiting for deliveries, but it is getting a little frustrating now.

I definitely don't regret doing distance learning, since I need to keep my current job to pay the bills (and pay for flying!) I would only recommend it if you're the kind of person who's capable of getting on with doing the work unsupervised - but if you think you can manage that, then go for it! But - be sure to compare all of the schools out there before you start. Every school will be happy to send you an information pack, chat to you about any concerns, and invite you up to take a look around and have a look at their notes.

FFF
-----------

crispy banana
10th Apr 2002, 17:02
I decided to go with Bristol last year after reading all the good comments on this board :)

The books are excellent, as is the CD-ROM...Also they are very quick to get back with the results of the progress tests,which is a great help!!....As I live in the US (:rolleyes: ) I would email the progress tests in the evening and by the time I checked my mail in the morning the results were back :D ,along with explanations!!
keep up the good work Noush ;) )....

Due to work commitments (and the fact that you get F.A. vacation time over here),I'm finally getting around to doing the Module 1 brushups in June,after starting in Sept '01.

I'm finding that going over the books the second time around makes things alot clearer...with some 'Eureka' moments thrown in!! ie INS crap :rolleyes:

All in all thumbs up for bristol!

euroflyer
10th Apr 2002, 23:24
Yes Bristol is the place to go, instruction and notes are amongst the best and the feedback is also very good for most of the subjects.
It certainly has my vote.
Good luck.:)

Alex Whittingham
11th Apr 2002, 17:12
The Jepp manuals arrived yesterday, 96 are going in the post today and tomorrow! Jepp apologise for the (three month) delay!

Alex Whittingham
Bristol Groundschool

Capt BK
11th Apr 2002, 17:17
Received my manuals this morning. Initially very impressed with the quality of the manuals, although I also never got my Jepp manual - it will probably come in a day or so (thanks Alex).

Just got to get started now, right head down.....

CBK

Fester Adams
11th Apr 2002, 23:02
Useful feedback here....
Just got my Class 1 :D and now I'm looking to start groundschool, and had been seriously considering Bristol.
Are there any views about other groundschools????

Thanks, Fester.

FlyingForFun
12th Apr 2002, 07:57
That's excellent news, Alex - I'll be waiting for the postman! :D

FFF
----------