PDA

View Full Version : Using A Flight Simulator To learn Flying??

tcasdescend
30th Sep 2012, 13:07
Hi,
I got the following questions.

Pls kindly direct me to the correct subforum if I posted wrongly.

Where can I find PPL notes either in soft or hard copy and how much will it cost if purchased.

I am interested in the technical aspects in the aircraft such as the doppler radar, tcas,, gpw, etc.

Since it is expensive to fly a plane, do you think I should fly a simulator instead? Perhaps, I wouldnt like it after flying a few times. I feel that I am more inclined to be a flight engineer (in the old days) as opposed to a pilot.

Can anyone give me any suggestions? Thanks!

BTW, I am from Singapore.

Alex757
1st Oct 2012, 06:16
I've used a simulator for a long time, and taught myself a lot about the systems side of airliners.

I know you don't get quite the same experience, but it really is a useful tool!

Luke SkyToddler
1st Oct 2012, 12:06
As an instructor, teaching people who had a lot of time on flight sim computer games was a complete pain in the ass ... the more they've flown Microsoft the more useless they are in a real aircraft when studying for their PPL, because they are completely incapable of setting a visual attitude or maintaining a lookout ... they just fixate on the AH and instruments. Which arent all that great in a training aircraft of course and the aircraft just constantly woffles around the sky in a perpetual light pitch-up-pitch-down motion. And they just cannot grasp the concept of looking up and towards the end of the runway to flare the thing on landing. And, of course they reckon they know more than you because they've got 10,000 hours logged on Microsoft and you're only a poxy instructor with 1000 actual flying time in lighties, so they don't listen and pretend to humour you when you're trying to teach them the basic importance of setting a visual attitude.

I would say that excessive time on the computer when it's not being accompanied by actual time in the aircraft, is overall detrimental to a person's progress as a pilot.

Nirak
1st Oct 2012, 12:26
tcasdecend

There are some books and publications you can download for free from the FAA (American) website

tcasdescend
2nd Oct 2012, 04:22
Hi guys

I think I should clarify something.
I am referring to a real flight simulator like this:

Flight Experience - Flight Simulator - Take the ride of your life on our Flight Simulators (http://www.flightexperience.com.sg/the-simulator.html)

It costs two hundred dollars per hour.

I am not sure if it will worthwhile and whether I should give it a shot. But what do you think?