PDA

View Full Version : Kenya. PPL work

loggerhead
9th Apr 2002, 16:47
This may have been asked a thousand times, but, Here goes.

I know and love Kenya, I was born there some 28 years ago and have been back many times. I work in the aviation industry in the UK now. Ground personnel only.
I gained my PPL a few years ago and have had enough of this life in the UK and would like to fly (PPL) in Kenya. I am not after commercial work, just love flying and love the country.
Am I dreaming of a life of flying in Kenya? Is there any call for people like my. Do you have any advise/contacts?

Many thanks

9th Apr 2002, 17:58
Your chances of finding work in Kenya with a PPL are pretty remote! Could you find a job in the UK with a PPL?

I guess it's a sub-concious prejudice towards the third world that has so many Europeans asking questions like this...?:(

loggerhead
9th Apr 2002, 20:08
126.9 Quote, "I guess it's a sub-conscious prejudice towards the third world that has so many Europeans asking questions like this...?"

Right. Your right...Sorry, my mistake. Prejudice. In fact down right racist. NOT.
You must be European to make such an issue.

Now, can anyone offer me some information on where I might fly In Kenya with a PPL. Thanks again

planecrazi
9th Apr 2002, 20:58
LH, I spent 5 years based in Nairobi flying aid relief with a Kenyan ATPL, amongst other ATPL's, and I must add that you require a commercial licence to earn revenue for your work as a pilot. With a PPL, you must pay to fly in which case I would suggest you rent an aeroplane from the Kenya School of Flying, 99's Flying School, Aero Club of East Africa...
Flying may be cheaper in Kenya compared to UK, but a Commercial licence is a Commercial Licence, and I am yet to learn another way around this. I have heard of industrial aid, but really this is a thin loop hole.

I hope this helps in someway and that we are not confusing your arrival in to Africa to work illegally with an incorrect licence.

I wish you all the best in gaining honest experience towards a higher licence.

:rolleyes:

loggerhead
9th Apr 2002, 21:27
Thanks Planecrazi. I Like to fly with my PPL and happy to stay with it for now. Suppose if i wanted to work on a farm/Game park or that sort of thing i would have to gain a higher licence.

Caribou 2
10th Apr 2002, 13:32
Negative Loggerhead - if you work for a farm/game ranching or safari business you can fly a company aircraft as a company employee but cannot receive remuneration (it is unlikely however that you would get insurance for carrying bussiness clients). Small charter companies might hire you to pos/de-pos a/c for charters, maintenance or recovery.

Two things:

1/ there are lots of well qualified guys in Africa with 0 jobs.

2/ there is no need to get too wound up re: other peoples comments / replies. Forums are, amongst many things about opinions. I think what 126.9 might be hinting at is that there is a very real perception that in African aviation (particularily licensing) there is always a "$$$way$$$" around problems. This is not the case.

Go well

10th Apr 2002, 18:39
No need to get your knickers in a knot old chap! Voicing one's opinion is what this site is all about. If you'd like to take the time and read some of the more historic postings to this forum, you'll soon find out what I'm on about. You'll also find that your position above; cuts at many Africans to the bone.

Having said that: 126.9 <--- Over Africa air-to-air broadcast frequency. Presently based in Europe. Born in Africa to African born parents. Grew up and educated in Africa. Learned to fly and passed my ATPL in Africa. Flew a long career with my national carrier in...? You guessed it; Africa! Presently hold ATPL licences for South Africa, Switzerland and Holland. Validations for Mauritius and the UK. Currently employed as B747 captain in Europe. Looking forward to a long and well deserved pension in: (now say it with me, please) AFRICA!!!

If it's really something you want to do full time, my advice is: take your own advice and steady on dear boy. Then buckle down and get a professional pilot's licence.

Best regards and good luck!

matatu flya
11th Apr 2002, 06:56
hey planecrazi...any help on a local trying to break into the kenyan relief scene?? 9conversions, reqs etcetc)
cheers

Caribou 2
11th Apr 2002, 09:39
Hey matatu try

Aircarft Leasing Services tel(254) 2 500156 / 8

or

Rossair Kenya (no number but www.rossair.co.za)

Check out:

Sky Relief - www.skyrelief.co.zw

matatu flya
11th Apr 2002, 13:49
hey caribou 2...asanteni as we say in kenya!

planecrazi
12th Apr 2002, 17:31
Jambo Mutata Flya, I'm sorry that I can not be of help, as I departed Kenya 4 years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Kenya, almost 5 years in total, flying UN/ICRC aid around Somalia since 1992. If you are able to get invloved, I'm sure you would enjoy it. The posting above gives good contacts.
regards and best of luck.
Kwaheri
;)