PDA

View Full Version : UKIP Defence Policy

Ronald Reagan
27th Sep 2012, 13:37
Interesting piece on UKIP defence policy:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdT0drUghio

It is a 15 minute video by Will Gilpin who used to serve on the Tornado F-3.

Out Of Trim
28th Sep 2012, 15:23
Hmm, lots of views but no comments so far. I found it rather refreshing, in that at least UKIP have someone who has actually served; as a Defence advisor!

Quite a radical idea to scrap the MOD and replace it with a much simpler and indeed smaller organisation.

Having witnessed this Governments and indeed the previous one's hilarious attempts to manage our Defences so poorly, I'm pleased to see a possible alternative emerging.

Courtney Mil
28th Sep 2012, 17:15
Really? Every department has a ministry and a minister. Scrapping the MoD would be an unlikely move and, even if it happened, what would replace it? Looking at recent reforms we'd just get a Ministry for Defence which would look just like it's older cousin.

Ronald Reagan
28th Sep 2012, 17:38
I would say they are the only party worth voting for. The mainstream parties are now worthless. All they have managed to do over the past 50 years is sit back and allow this country to decline. Due to their collective total failure I feel another party deserves a chance.

Rosevidney1
28th Sep 2012, 18:48
It is sad to observe, but none of the three main UK political parties seem to have a clue about how to stop the rot. Each of those parties are seeing declining membership and the 'great British public' might just give outsiders their votes - but which ones? Not all are as decent as UKIP and parallels might well be drawn with the 1930s. We live in troubled times and the old certainties are crumbling around us.

NutLoose
28th Sep 2012, 19:05
And don't forget their main man has experience of smelling the poo when it comes to aviation..

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/05/08/article-0-09765B59000005DC-286_468x301.jpg

waveskimmer
28th Sep 2012, 19:06
COURTNEY MIL

Scrapping the MoD would be an unlikely move and, even if it happened, what would replace it?

G4S??:E

Chugalug2
28th Sep 2012, 19:56
CM:
Scrapping the MoD would be an unlikely move and, even if it happened, what would replace it?
If you read the comments on the Youtube link, you will see that Gilpin says:
Too much to say in 15 mins. The policy, when published, includes a proposed slimline replacement & procurement executive. Note "slimline"!
(Will Gilpin)
Given my belief that the MOD constitutes the greatest present threat to HM Armed Forces, I'm all for scrapping it. Its reform would be too costly in blood, treasure and time. It has been the greatest British disaster since its inception, and the second greatest disaster perpetrated by its designer, Mountbatten.
Gilpin does a lot of sound bites in this piece, but one at least chimes with me; "You need to be able to stand alone". That is not MOD Policy. It needs to be UK Policy.

brokenlink
30th Sep 2012, 12:43
Fully agree your comment on the political parties RR. Politicians from all sides are happy to play with the big boys on the international stage when it comes to defence but when it comes down to coughing up the readies to maintain that capability they are found wanting.
In that same vein you have an eternal issue with the MoD (as all countries have) in that defence is technology driven which is expensive and evolves rapidly making bringing new kit into service an absolute nightmare even before you factor in the seemingly continual Treasury trimming of the budgets.
Grateful if those knocking the MoD and its staff would desist unless they have actually worked there, the vast majority of its people are trying to do a good job under some pretty trying situations and are fully committed to providing the best possible kit to the guys and girls at the sharp end who are fighting to preserve the liberties we enjoy. Dont believe the cr@p reports you see in the press, MoD staff are not paid a fortune in fact for some of the jobs they do they are distinctly underpaid if you compare what they could get outside.

Icare9
30th Sep 2012, 15:37
Oh come on, broken link, where did you get that shade of rose tinted glasses?
Any decision which weakens the Services seems to be initiated in days (Nimrod, Harriers, armoured land-rovers, carriers) but replacement kit is delayed past any useful need, delivered way over budget and rarely fit for purpose first time round. Look at the Chinook fiasco, and others more closer to the action can no doubt produce far more telling items.
"Someone" has to be responsible for the "management" of this dogs breakfast but the poor guys and gals that actually have to deal with the messes that our politicians seem to think we HAVE to be involved in get asked to do more and more with less and less.
The tragedy is, the politicians and top brass seem unable to take note of this.

The other sorry aspect is that any party, once elected, has more interest in seeing how much perks and expenses they can grab rather than do a decent job in running the Country

Hmmm very interesting text change when land-rovers DOESN'T have a hyphen!!
Climbs off soapbox...

brokenlink
30th Sep 2012, 16:26
Icare9, fully agree most of your sentiments old fruit, point I was trying to make was that the whole of the MoD gets tarred with the same brush when those in charge make decisions that the right minded cannot fathom and that the working level have to deal with and carry the can when the decision makers get moved/promoted or lose an election.

Rose tinted spectacles?

No, just got the t-shirt and read the book..