PDA

View Full Version : Best training in English + vacation location?

Davidil
27th Sep 2012, 09:56
Hi,

I'm in Cyprus now, I'm looking for a place to do a PPL while also vacationing. I love Ayia Napa but I'm not sure about the level of training and maintenance here, and their expensive here too.

Any suggestions for a good location for vacation + training in English? Good weather AND good party place. Thanks

Slopey
27th Sep 2012, 12:47
do a PPL while also vacationing
AND good party place

Partying, and flight training don't usually mix well, for obvious reasons.

Do one, or the other, but you can't usually do both. And it'll take you at least 3 weeks to get a PPL even with all the exams done just by the sheer logistics of how many hours you can fly per day.

neilgeddes
27th Sep 2012, 13:35
Ayia Napa
The British teenagers go there to party!

StevenH510
27th Sep 2012, 16:03
Griffon Aviation, highly recommended, had a few lessons with them the other year when I was out there, really good school, and friendly people there too.

They had some really decent planes out there too, a couple of the Cessna's did look really nice, but it's been a good two years since I was last out there.

As for the maintenance schedule on the plane's, I would of thought that Cyprus would come under EASA's rules, so it should be to the same quality as the UK (I'm prepared to be corrected on this).

If you do get into it, get out to Beirut, that's a interesting flight!!

I'd of gone this year for some more flying, but sadly personal circumstances have prevented me from doing so. :sad:

Davidil
28th Sep 2012, 08:12
Hey,

I've actually done one lesson with them, to check them out. The owner is very nice, my problem is that they're in Paphos and it's about 90 minutes drive from Ayia Napa.

I don't see a problem partying at night, then having a lesson at 3 PM... or maybe having lessons every other day, and rotate between going out and the lessons.

Any other ideas, location wise? A place which is a fun party destination but also good for training. I'd take it slow, spread it over two months... I'm not planning on flying with a handover or anything like that, don't worry.

I had another problem with them, I'll make a different post about it.

riverrock83
28th Sep 2012, 09:18
I don't see a problem partying at night, then having a lesson at 3 PM... or maybe having lessons every other day, and rotate between going out and the lessons.
I'm not planning on flying with a handover or anything like that, don't worry.

The blood alcohol limit in the UK (don't have Cyprus stats handy but its likely to be similar) for aviation related activities is considerably lower than for driving (0.2 rather than 0.8). See http://www.pprune.org/questions/304404-alcohol-limit-pilots.html
I don't know if its the law or not, but you also aren't supposed to drink within 8 hours before flying.
Also if you are tired (which you probably will be if partying into the night) you will be wasting your money as you wont learn anywhere near as quickly. Being too tired can be just (if not more) dangerous than flying with alcohol in your system. You'll just get frustrated as you wont pick things up.

Also - how long are you spending out there? I'd be surprised if you were able to finish the training course within a couple of months if flying at 3pm for an hour and you aren't doing a specific intensive course.

Despite what people might suggest, it takes effort and dedication to get that licence!

You may though just be a super human...

Unusual Attitude
28th Sep 2012, 09:32
Did my CPL in Florida years ago on a 3 week intensive and it was a good mix of weather, flying and the ability to have a few beers in the evening if you wanted but with the early slot being at 6am and sometimes flying 3 times per day there werent that many chances.

If your going on any sort of intensive flying course then forget about lots of partying, you will be expected to turn up on time (early actually), fit to fly, having done any required study or flight planning the night before. Your also certainly not going to enjoy things like unusual attitude recovery in the heat if your feeling a bit ropey to start with....

Best bet if your serious is to spend 3 or 4 weeks keeping your head down to get the course done and then take a 2 week holiday to Napa after to celebrate your new poop brown plastic wallet......

Regards

UA

500 above
28th Sep 2012, 09:34
Do one, or the other, but you can't usually do both. And it'll take you at least 3 weeks to get a PPL even with all the exams done just by the sheer logistics of how many hours you can fly per day.

He won't do it in three weeks in Cyprus. The PPL ground exams are held in Nicosia at the DCA only once a month. BTW Pafos is a bloody good night out.

David, I've posted on your other topic.

Davidil
28th Sep 2012, 09:43
But I'm doing the lessons for fun, I'm planning on taking it easy, I'm not even sure I want to get the licence. I want to take it each lesson at a time and see how it goes. That sort of thing.

Unusual Attitude
28th Sep 2012, 10:48
But I'm doing the lessons for fun, I'm planning on taking it easy, I'm not even sure I want to get the licence. I want to take it each lesson at a time and see how it goes. That sort of thing

In which case crack on then, party a bit, fly a bit and burn through as many hours as you like which will keep a local FI in a job.....everyone is happy...:ok: