PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Africa Pilot's for their needed advice!

Wireless
9th Apr 2002, 12:38
Dear folks,

I have been reading various posts over the months regarding what licence is best to work in Africa, and I can't really see a trend in the advice given so I think it best to outline where I am and what I intend doing and see what you think....

I have a UK PPL with 300 Hours TT (250 hours tailwheel on Pawnee and UK Citizen). I have had a desire to fly in bush style operations for over 5 years now, ever since I learned to fly. I have never been interested in flying for a UK firm or airline as it really isn't the kind of thing that I can see myself ever enjoying as to me the money is secondary. Basically I have a small amount of funds gained by saving over the years and was thinking of doing the FAA CPL as Airserv and MAF accept these licences. I have seen a few replies to posts that advise against tha FAA CPL though, why is this? If I were to do the South African licence, would that be any better. I know that I will have to get a work permit for the country that I intend to work in, but surely that isn't impossible as there are many expats working in Africa? Also, despite, the fact that I have been saving for years, I can only really afford just a CPL at this stage with the IR in a couple of years. Would you be able to get pleasure flying, non IFR work in Maun do you think?

What do you think guys, given that this is my career aim, not just an idea that has occurred because the airline industry has flopped and I reckon it might be an easier pop to try Bush flying!:D

Please, Please if any of you who fly out there have any ideas, please help, as I am stuck.

Wireless

Herc Jerk
9th Apr 2002, 14:12
simple answer IMHO is that there is no best license for afrika- because afrika is not one country... right? right.

So you have many different operators in many different countries operating under different Aviation administering bodies... ie differing rules, and requirements.

So, choose your preferred (or possible) operator(s)/country(s) and talk to them directly and find out what you need, then go out and get it. And then get yourself there.

Best of luck

HJ

AMEX
9th Apr 2002, 17:21
Wireless
I got my first flying job with an FAA CPL/IR somewhere in Southern Africa but like HJ has said, there is no licence better than an other to work there.
When you get there and I hope you will since you seem really keen, you will see that the pilots come from all over the globe, have all kind of experiences and licences.
If an FAA is the cheapest then go for it, although getting the licence (whichever one it is) tend to be the easy part.
I am sure though that once on the spot long enough, you will succeed in getting a job as a pilot.
Just to comment about the I/R, I think you really should try to get one as your prospects might be a little more limited if you haven't.
I know you can only manage to raise the money for a CPL but try to find a way to get more £££ .
(try selling your body, mug a granny or alternatively borrow some money from friends/bank).

Best of luck anyway

Glynis
9th Apr 2002, 21:32
You should seriously consider a South African CPL/IR. With the Rand/Pound exchange rate you cannot get a better deal. There are a number of SA companies operating in other countries than SA itself.

Sorry Glynis, the occasional punt is sometimes condoned but your effort was like a billboard. 4Holer