PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone be a pilot ?

sheronfrd
25th Sep 2012, 15:02
Can anyone be a pilot ? I discussed this with some professionals and some of them answered " Yes " while others "No "
Any idea ?

Alex757
25th Sep 2012, 15:18
I'd of thought you needed the right mindset ... and I think probably a little knowledge to start with.

I'd be interested to hear some others opinions.

what next
25th Sep 2012, 15:28
Hello!

The long term statistics (> 20 years) of the flight training organisation for which I instruct besides my job is that 95 percent of all students finish their ATPL course with a license. Of the 5 percent who drop out, the majority does so because of lack of funding. The few remaining ones drop out because they are too lazy to study their theory. Not one has ever failed due to lack of practical skills so far.

There may be of course a few persons who are totally unsuited to be pilots (medical problems apart) but usually they know it and don't show up at a flying school in the first place.

vee-tail-1
25th Sep 2012, 20:30
There may be of course a few persons who are totally unsuited to be pilots (medical problems apart) but usually they know it and don't show up at a flying school in the first place.
A good attitude in general and particularly to other aviators is essential.
Misogyny and trolling on aviation websites might not be helpful. :hmm:

tommoutrie
25th Sep 2012, 20:41
pretty much anybody with some cash can train as a pilot.
Getting a job is a very different matter.

fernytickles
26th Sep 2012, 01:11
Can anyone be a pilot ? I discussed this with some professionals and some of them answered " Yes " while others "No "
Any idea ?

Maybe?

Possibly?

Perhaps?

Occasionally?

Sometimes?

Rarely?

Frequently?

:bored:

Big Pistons Forever
26th Sep 2012, 01:50
pretty much anybody with some cash can train as a pilot.
Getting a job is a very different matter.

A pretty good summary. My experience in Canada is only about 2 in 5 people who get a CPL will ever actually get any kind of flying work. After 5 years maybe 1 in 5 are working as a full time pilot.......

sevenstrokeroll
26th Sep 2012, 03:05
NO, not everyone can be a pilot. I've had student sshow up and I advised them not to continue as a pilot to save their money. some who , even before they left the reception room were shaking, violently.
one who screamed when I mentioned the oil pressure gauge should be looked at.

I"ve been in flying sinc3e 1975. One woman tried so very hard...three different instructors...two hours before her checkride, she suddenly lost the ability to read and interpret the altitmeter.

I told her to give up and have a good life. I cared about all these people...I personally would have made more money had they continued...but at some point one realizes they shouldn't be a pilot.

there are only about 60,000 air line transport pilots in the USA...out of over 300 million people. maybe 700,000 pilots of all other levels. so, maybe 1 million out of 300 million can be pilots...you do the math.

try if you like and have the time and money.

paco
26th Sep 2012, 04:31
We've had one or two who did all the exams but couldn't do the practical.

Steevo25
26th Sep 2012, 12:13
Personaly, I think 99% of people can be a pilot of some sort given the time and mainly money. I have met people that most people would advise to give up before they even started but still made it to their PPL but took an awful lot of hours and money.

Some people are capable but just too lazy to put in the work. As with anything there are fears to get over and skills to learn. Most people can learn skills if repeated enough but some take much longer than others. Most people can get over their fears if, again, they do things enough times to begin to have trust.

Making it to a professional pilot is even a bigger task and to do it, you really do need the dedication and again money. For most people, including myself, it was money that made me stop at PPL.

Believe it or not, I was terrified of heights before I started my PPL and it's something I had to conquer, but it was something I always wanted to do despite that phoebia so I put in the effort required and found the money. I am still scared of heights, but that dissappears when I am up there and it doesn't even enter my mind. If I fly on a commercial aircraft or look out the window on a tall building then that fear comes back but I have learnt to trust being in a small, simple aircraft.

RTN11
26th Sep 2012, 21:31
Certainly not everyone could be a pilot. Many can't even drive a car, as evidenced by the daily string of accidents on straight sections of motorway.

Many can be taught to fly to some degree within their own limits, but there are many people who will never be able to land an aircraft, other than perhaps in perfect conditions.

Also age has to be taken as a factor. If I try to teach my 60 year old father to fly, I will fail miserably, but if I had my father when he was 18-30 perhaps I would have a shot.

mrheadwind
28th Sep 2012, 21:26
Anyone can fly a plane but only those who love flying can be pilots. My advice do a PPL first, and if you do you will probably complete it. But do it to see if you like flying. If you love it then continue. BUT if its just an ok feeling, then save your money and do something you actually love.

Being a pilot is not just completing your training and getting atpl but also working the next 20 years, that means getting into the cockpit nearly everyday for the next 20 years of your life. Its not just a job but a lifestyle, and if you dont have passion for it but want to do it just for the money or status then expect the next several decades to be very miserable and potentially very dangerous (for you and for your passengers).

strikemaster82
28th Sep 2012, 21:26
No.

Some lack depth perception and cannot judge when to flare.
Others cannot carry out an instrument scan quickly enough.