PDA

View Full Version : Wyton to cease flying?

proptastic
24th Sep 2012, 12:10
Does anyone know if the Tutors are going to be moving to Wittering? If so, is there a date for this?

just another jocky
24th Sep 2012, 14:59
No, I don't think anyone knows.

No.

brokenlink
24th Sep 2012, 20:12
BGG, that was many years ago when the local councils were looking for potential housing expansion around Huntingdon. I seem to recall it was part of the planning agreement to allow the Logs Command/DLO/DES build on site and to re route the A 141. I could be wrong though.

BL.

aw ditor
24th Sep 2012, 20:21
With Alconbury being developed as an industrial/housing complex already, the local infrastructure could not cope. It can't at the moment! Perhaps a spur' route down the main runway to the infamous Guided Bus at St.Ives?

Melchett01
24th Sep 2012, 20:26
Well I know the next OC CUAS and he still thinks he is going to Wyton in the New Year.

Wensleydale
24th Sep 2012, 20:50
Well I know the next OC CUAS and he still thinks he is going to Wyton in the
New Year

Its usually the cleaner who knows first!

just another jocky
24th Sep 2012, 20:52
CUAS will need a new OC next year, but as to where their Tutors will be based.....

I don't think there will be much chance of new estates on the airfield, not with all the cr&p that's buried there, or so I'm told. And there's no room left after all the new buildings that are just being finished off, including new accomodation either.

I don't think it's a case of where the sqns go, but when.

Melchett01
24th Sep 2012, 20:57
Its usually the cleaner who knows first!

Or the Stn Barber - he always knows about deployments when people start coming in for their 'det haircuts'!

aluminium persuader
24th Sep 2012, 21:39
Can't be true, or they would have started resurfacing the runway already!

:E
ap

racedo
25th Sep 2012, 12:37
Can't be true, or they would have started resurfacing the runway already!

Reminds me of the end of Cold War drawdown when US shutting bases in Germany but contractor still completing housing because that was what contract stipulated.

Avitor
25th Sep 2012, 13:02
Ex WW2 Pathfinder base, among other uses. It has lots of married quarters there already. I knew the address but not where it was, I wanted to talk to a Flt.Sgt Wally Bulmer. I saw a lady walking, stopped the vehicle and ask her where the street was, after she advised me she asked whom I wanted to speak to, I told her, she said I am Mrs Bulmer, his wife. :)

aw ditor
9th Nov 2012, 11:52
Any up-to-date rumours on the move of the Grobs.?

VinRouge
9th Nov 2012, 12:52
Why, are you the next oc cuas? :}

Jumping_Jack
9th Nov 2012, 13:00
I was talking to OC AEF no so long ago, rumours still abound concerning move to Wittering but no firm decision or date as yet.

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
9th Nov 2012, 14:05
Aviator

It has lots of married quarters there already.

Not many left now. Lots were sold some years back.

not with all the cr&p that's buried there,

There was certainly a few thousand gallons of Avtur spread about the airfield.

Aaron.

denachtenmai
10th Nov 2012, 11:11
There was certainly a few thousand gallons of Avtur spread about the airfield.

Especially at the 09 (543 Sqdn) end, put there by a septic who banged out on final to Alconbury. I watched it :ooh:

Regards, Den.

brokenlink
10th Nov 2012, 20:01
There is also the slight matter of a couple of fully loaded Lancasters blowing up on dispersals. Did the load all cook off or did it go up, come down and embed itself in the ground?
Other point is the old bomb dump across the A141 which could be interesting.

aw ditor
10th Feb 2015, 08:28
Understand the last of the Grobs have left Wyton for points North' though arrangements are in hand for the Flying Club to keep going pro tem'.

just another jocky
10th Feb 2015, 09:37
Yup, 2 x UAS plus AEF to Wittering to be joined this summer by 2 x EFT sqns from Cranwell so it's going to get busy!

TorqueOfTheDevil
10th Feb 2015, 10:40
Yup, 2 x UAS plus AEF to Wittering to be joined this summer by 2 x EFT sqns from Cranwell so it's going to get busy!

For 3 years at which point Wittering will become rather quiet again...

just another jocky
10th Feb 2015, 10:44
Ok, you know something I don't then.

My understanding was that Wittering will become the Tutor "hub" with the conversion course/standards run from there plus the UAS/AEF remaining (unless there is a decision to cut the UAS/AEF post the next round of defence cuts). Cranditz will be the EFT/120TP "hub".

I have been known to be wrong. :}

ExAscoteer
10th Feb 2015, 21:13
5 AEF have moved from Wyton to Wittering. They became operational there yesterday.

thing
10th Feb 2015, 22:16
What's happening to the Pathfinders?