PDA

View Full Version : Lightening crash near Humber?

Vinyl net
23rd Sep 2012, 20:16
I have found a radio recording of lightening xr769 crashing from 88. I am keen to find out a bit more about this. Anyone have any info on this?

Nopax,thanx
23rd Sep 2012, 20:47
Check this out.....

June 2004 Story (http://www.lightning.org.uk/jun04sotm.html)

When a Frightnin' catches fire at the back end it's time to leave, and quick.

I have a cassette of the recording somewhere too

Vinyl net
24th Sep 2012, 09:03
I have put it up on youtube.

XR769 - YouTube

On the same tape there is the radio conversation of the Telegraph reporter going up and throwing up in his glove. I will get that recorded digitally as well.

XV490
24th Sep 2012, 09:40
Interesting - in fact, very enlightening.

India Four Two
25th Sep 2012, 07:31
vinyl net,

Thanks for putting that on YouTube. Do you know the origin of the recording? Judging by the background conversations, it may have been Binbrook Tower.

Cool, calm and collected - not even any heavy breathing - "I'm going to throw it away, Blackie." :ok:

Cubanate
25th Sep 2012, 08:14
'End Lightning' more like XV490!:E

Above The Clouds
26th Sep 2012, 10:54
Where the in flight pictures or film of this event ever published ?

Soldeed
27th Sep 2012, 11:54
I'm sure there is a recount of this in Ian Black's book "Last of the Lightnings", with pictures he took while doing his air to air inspection.

Lightning Mate
27th Sep 2012, 17:56
I flew the Lightning for five years, but I do not know what a lightening is.

India Four Two
28th Sep 2012, 05:05
LM,

That would be the little known "Eenglish Eeleetric Lightening" ;)

Lightning Mate
28th Sep 2012, 06:13
Oh, I see. :)

Cool, calm and collected - not even any heavy breathing

What else would you expect of a Lightning pilot.............? :E

Vinyl net
28th Sep 2012, 19:52
No it's from a scanner I think, I'm sure you can hear a dog in the background.

Sorry for the mis-spelled lightning.

I'll get the other recording done soon, also try to re do the other one as I notice it's a little jerky and the tape is fine.

Vinyl net
28th Sep 2012, 20:19
Found along with it video on the base when we went as a kid to view the scrapped lightnings, my father was going to buy one to put outside his work, got some good footage of them taking off and then doing a dummy landing, showboating a bit. Remember it like it was yesterday as I was told off for pointing the camera at the base.

I should digitise that as well but need to find a video 8 player? There are also some large drawings and photos by 'Wilkinson'? Nice sunset one.

Vinyl net
30th Sep 2012, 09:11
recorded the reporter going up:
Lightning Reporter - YouTube

GeeRam
30th Sep 2012, 11:08
I'm sure there is a recount of this in Ian Black's book "Last of the Lightnings", with pictures he took while doing his air to air inspection.

You are correct.

India Four Two
30th Sep 2012, 11:28
Sorry for the mis-spelled lightning.

Vinyl net,

Don't worry. Just a little PPRuNe humour between LM and myself. I'm sure even WIWOLs make spelling mistakes from time to time. ;)

taking off and then doing a dummy landing, showboating a bit.

Probably not showboating. When I was on a UAS Summer Camp at Binbrook, we were taken down to the runway caravan to watch Lightnings taking off and landing. We were told that they never did roller (touch and go) landings in order to save tyre wear. All the practice approaches were followed by an overshoot. I forget how many landings they got from one set of tyres, but it wasn't many.

I'm sure LM can fill in the details.

Lightning Mate
30th Sep 2012, 13:05
I'm sure LM can fill in the details.

Surely.

The wings were thin and therefore by necessity so were the wheels and tyres. If I remember correctly, the tyre pressure was around 300PSI for the mainwheels.

The braking parachute was effective only in the first half of speed reduction (dynamic pressure is proportion to the square of speed)

The problem was crosswinds - the aeroplane had no nosewheel steering. In strong crosswinds it was not uncommon for a wheel change after every landing. The most wear was on the downwind tyre due to weathercocking effect.

The 'chute candled regularly, and in such cases heavy braking was required to stop the thing on the (then) standard 7500ft runway.

Old technology, but an absolute delight to fly I can assure you. Acceleration and climb rate was incredible. It's the only aeroplane which I have flown which was short of fuel on start-up - at least the small ventral tank F1/1A and F3 were.

However, an F6 off a tanker and full of fuel at altitude was something else.

Unfortunately there are many myths about the Lightning.

Anything else you would like to know?

India Four Two
30th Sep 2012, 17:36
300 psi rings a bell with me.

What was the crosswind technique? Crabbed approach and wing down over the threshold or did you just plant it while crabbed?

What was the calculated aquaplaning speed?

NutherA2
30th Sep 2012, 18:01
What was the calculated aquaplaning speed?I never had the pleasure of flying a Lightning, but assuming tyres at 300psi, aquaplaning speed would surely be approximately 149 knots.

India Four Two
30th Sep 2012, 18:10
NutherA2,

I see you are in the 8.6 camp. ;)

NutherA2
30th Sep 2012, 18:15
I see you are in the 8.6 camp

Yup, but I thought suggesting approximately 148.95637 knots may be considered OTT by some.

Lightning Mate
30th Sep 2012, 19:38
What was the crosswind technique? Crabbed approach and wing down over the
threshold or did you just plant it while crabbed?

The standard wings level approach and remove the drift just before touchdown. One could not land the Lightning "wing down". This is American ****.

Aquaplane speed depends on speed-up or speed-down - we never considered it.

Above The Clouds
2nd Oct 2012, 18:55
Type pressure 300psi :ok:

Approx 10 landings before a tyre change :{

Crosswind landing - wings level approach, remove the drift just before touchdown, the only way.

Aquaplane speed never a consideration it was a military fast jet.