PDA

View Full Version : resprayed sentinel

cyrilranch
22nd Sep 2012, 14:58
why gloss?

View topic - Sentinel ZJ691 ReSpray. (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=46969)

Milo Minderbinder
22nd Sep 2012, 19:30
shiny things are easier to sell second hand
they look prettier

WE992
22nd Sep 2012, 19:37
Because it lasts longer! The 2 146's recently purchased are also in this gloss grey.

NutLoose
22nd Sep 2012, 19:37
Harder wearing in gloss, finish lasts longer, easier to clean and goes quicker.. Additionally it gives the chaps something to do keeping it shiny.

Pontius Navigator
23rd Sep 2012, 07:40
Serco bought a job lot of gloss from Ramco?

Pontius Navigator
23rd Sep 2012, 07:46
When the V-force switched from white to camouflage the job was a rush one and a matt finish was used. I think the coeficient of reflection for the white was IRO 0.98 whereas the camouflage was near 0.3. (I think the terms are right, the values are close and relate to the potential of the paint to attentuate the light or heat pulse IIRC).

Once the initial conversion was done there was a more leisurely repaint with high gloss polyurethane. It looked smart and would have had a much higher attenutation. It also added 4,000lbs to the AUW.

However I thought the more recent matt finishes had more to do with IR attenuation, so why the gloss?

Wensleydale
23rd Sep 2012, 09:00
However I thought the more recent matt finishes had more to do with IR
attenuation, so why the gloss?

I also understood that the matt "barley grey" finish was to prevent the reflection of IR energy. I was also told that when the E-3D entered service, the request to paint it matt (rather than the shiny grey/white of the NATO/USAF fleet) caused some consternation at Boeing because the new paint scheme would also absorb heat from the sun whereas the old shceme would reflect it. The story was told that when the USAF transport fleet changed from gloss to camouflage, there was an increased failure rate of aircraft systems due to insufficient cooling. The result was a somewhat expensive investigation as to whether the E-3D's new scheme would affect the mission system or would additional cooling be needed.

Perhaps the Sentinel systems got a little warm?

Pontius Navigator
23rd Sep 2012, 10:50
Wensleydale, good point. We remember the white cockpits on the flying wheel barrow and the desert cam Hercs, the white top on the Dominie, the white top on the Shacks etc etc.

WhiteOvies
23rd Sep 2012, 23:57
Looks like a gloss sea grey colour, good for an MPA! Really hope they find a role post Herrick as binning them would be a hell of a waste.

Geehovah
24th Sep 2012, 17:48
I agree. No IR threat; no problem.

TorqueOfTheDevil
26th Sep 2012, 00:01
flying wheel barrow

Beverley??

4mastacker
26th Sep 2012, 06:21
flying wheel barrow Beverley?? AW660 Argosy.

the ten letters jobsworth fairy strikes again)

Wander00
26th Sep 2012, 07:38
Argosy - "Whistling wheelbarrow" ISTR

Out Of Trim
26th Sep 2012, 19:28
Argosy = Whistling Tit ! :)

matkat
27th Sep 2012, 07:40
Certainly looks better than the first to be painted, I was the rep that took the first one from Broughton to air livery:D.