PDA

View Full Version : Flt Lt Euan Brown

cafe society
21st Sep 2012, 18:42
Euan was a Nav Radar on the Victor force, in both the bomber and tanker roles, during the 60's. After studying Arabic, he served in the middle east, before returning to the UK. After leaving the RAF in the early &)'s he went to Spain to run a bar, the first of many ventures.
Euan passed away on the 19th September, and his funeral will take place on the 28th September at 13.50hrs, Lincoln crematorium.

VIProds
22nd Sep 2012, 09:53
How sad. I knew Euan & Linda at Marham back in the 60's where Euan was an active member of the Marham Little Theatre Group. He was a charming Gentleman. The last time I saw Euan, he came down to Bishop's Stortford with Linda to see us, as I had just left the RAF.

He mentioned then, that his "Aircrew sell-by date" would come up at some time, so applied for a language course in Cantonese. Being short & having dark features, they said that they would offer him a course in Arabic.

Top West 50
25th Sep 2012, 20:19
Indeed sad. I knew Ewen on 57 at Marham - a very exciting time which saw the introduction of the 3-point version of the Victor tanker (impromptu evaluation of the centreline hose might make another interesting thread). Pete Simmonds, sadly recently deceased, used to tell a lovely story of Linda, whose visit to Barrack Stores to exchange a chip pan was unsuccessful. The civilian storeman had declined the request on the grounds that "OMQs were not scaled for chip pans." "In any case," he added, "Officers would have saute potatoes!" Ewen had several claims to fame and, although no culprit was ever unmasked, he may have had something to do with the relocation of the Sqn Cdr's wife's horse!

27mm
26th Sep 2012, 08:00
Top West 50, you mention Pete Simmonds - would that be the gentleman Nav who was on 98 Sqn at Cottesmore in '74 - '76?

cafe society
26th Sep 2012, 08:05
Many thanks for the replies. Yes Euan do have many claims to fame and was excellent company to be in.
We used to play pallet(a French game, where you throw metal discs at a lump of lead), it was Euan turn and he missed completely. One of the guys remarked "luckily we did not have to rely on you to drop any bombs" to which Euan replied, "with our bomb, we did not have to get close, hitting the country was close enough"

Euan and his second wife Maggie where regular visitors to our home and last year my son in law took us both around Marham, on a trip down memory lane for us both. He related a wonderful story of a mini car and the officer mess.

Top West 50
26th Sep 2012, 19:14
27mm - I doubt it because I think he had left the RAF by then.

Tangohyphenlima
3rd Oct 2012, 21:55
It was indeed the Pete Simmonds who was on 98 Sqn at Cottesmore - he retired from the RAF in 1977 having joined at South Cerney in 1960. (He had previously completed his national service 1955-57). He sadly died on 5th May this year and was cremated at Mintlyn Crematorium , King's Lynn on 23rd May. He was a friend for 52 years. Ewan was also a good friend of us both at Marham in the late 1960's early 70's