PDA

View Full Version : Hello - i think im in the right place

jimmywiz
20th Sep 2012, 19:14
Cant find a hello section on here ( might just be me ).

Just a quick hello.

Hi Im James im 17 and sorry in advance for the realllly poor spelling. I had my first flight a few weeks ago. It was just a quick taster while on holiday up in
Carlise and now im hooked. Hopping to start my ppl in the next few weeks in Headcorn. Cant wait to get talking to you lot. Any tips and tricks would be GREAT. but one thing im scared of is the medical - can you still get a class 2 medical if your diabetic. i dont know if i am but i have suspicions.

Cheers

James

mad_jock
20th Sep 2012, 20:10
Jimmy go to your GP before you go for a medical and see if you are.

Its a pee in a cup job and takes seconds.

Weirdfish
20th Sep 2012, 20:11
If you have your suspicions I think your first priority is to find out, regardless of PPL aspirations.

jimmywiz
20th Sep 2012, 21:40
cheers guys - and im just so nervous about it - feel like the lad from the film little miss sunshine. will get on to a medical ASAP. and while im here anyone know anyone based at headcorn or rochester.

mad_jock
20th Sep 2012, 21:53
Go to your GP first don't pay for a aviation medical until you have found out.

But to give you some reasurance the lads in the rugby team that all thought they had diabeties it turned out all it was, they had a dose of the clap.

Apparently if there is no family history and you arn't a fat knackar its relatively rare to develope it at your age. Its more likely to be changes in your body to do with it developing and maturing.

Your GP/practise nurse will tell you in under 60 seconds.

Fuji Abound
20th Sep 2012, 22:03
Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=caa+medical+headcorn)

Try the first ;)

jimmywiz
20th Sep 2012, 22:03
Cheers - and ya just been speeking to a few friends and they all say its not so fingers crossed.

Weirdfish
21st Sep 2012, 06:56
Again, just to repeat the point, don't fork out for an aviation medical before you've had your mind put at ease by your GP. I found it bad enough sitting the waiting room knowing I was ok.

As for Headcorn, I have no knowledge of the training set up onsite but I'm very fond of the airfield. I did most of my circuit work at Headcorn as it works out far more affordable than doing it at my home Airport, Southend.

Best thing to do is pop down there for a chat as that way you get a feel for the place and its set up.

As for general tips and advise, don't pay large amounts up front and don't get too fixated on headline prices, as unless you are an incredibly gifted natural born flyer, it is more than likely to take over 45hours, especially if you're only having weekly lessons. Also worth bearing in mind is although the pricing is spoken about as hourly lessons, once you get further into the training it's pretty rare to have just an hour.

Now go sort out that GP visit. :)

lenhamlad
21st Sep 2012, 08:14
I do some casual work at Headcorn and spoke to Jimmy the other day about his PPL. Went through the various costs with him. We will look after him.

mad_jock
21st Sep 2012, 09:07
Kick his arse into going to his GP for a piddle test.

And Jimmy have you started studying airlaw yet? If not why not?

Lenhamlad I hope you don't mind me starting the nagging early :ok:

Fuji Abound
21st Sep 2012, 09:29
MJ - He doesn't need to go to his doctor quite a few pharmacies do free on the spot tests - that is as good as needs be.

Headcorn is one of my favorite places - if only every where was like Headcorn. :) You have chosen a good place to learn.

mad_jock
21st Sep 2012, 10:38
Nah you can go to the pharmancy and get the dip test but all that tells you is that your piddle is OK.

There is obviously something amiss which is leading to his concerns. Better to see what the GP says even if it only cures the heart and mind of him and resurance that he is a normal spotty 17 year old.

magpienja
21st Sep 2012, 18:48
Dont forget you can also go down the microlight route and save mega bucks....if your not familiar with modern 3 axis microlights I think you maybe surprised.

Nick.

RTN11
21st Sep 2012, 20:51
Let me google that for you

Try the first

Funny, this thread is the second result, so he's found the best place :}

you can also go down the microlight route and save mega bucks....if your not familiar with modern 3 axis microlights I think you maybe surprised.

I certainly was, the C42 and Eurostar are amazing, 800-1000'/min rate of climb all the way up to 8000', then at least 500'/min to 10k+, they will out perform many training spam cans at a fraction of the cost. The cruise does let them down, but still damn good fun.

FirstOfficer
22nd Sep 2012, 06:51
Headcorn,

lovely place to learn how to fly. I get to fly with a friend of mine every now and then to headcorn on a beautiful DR400 :E from Redhill. :ok:

Like others have mentioned it is probably nothing, but before throwing away money on the medical get yourself checked at the Dr's first for the diabetes test, it is quick and simple.

Good luck and enjoy flying, the best views are up there! :)

effortless
22nd Sep 2012, 07:15
As the others as, get to the gp now. However, you can fly if you are controlled. NPPL carries the same criteria as HGV. It is between you and your gp. If you are after a CPL, then you have a problem but be grateful. You won't have to fork out 100,000 to end up in competition for a dwindling number of decent seats. Instead, you can have a different, fulfilling career doing something else. This will pay for a long and happy amateur flying life.:ok:

Rabbs
22nd Sep 2012, 09:01
Hi Jimmy

I'm based at headcorn and would be happy to help out if I can, also happy to take you up if I have a spare right hand seat while you are training. I'll pm you my details - there is a curry and weather presentation at Headcorn this Thursday are you going?. Check your PMs

Rabbs

jollyrog
22nd Sep 2012, 19:02
Headcorn is a great place to learn, once you can cope with it, you're set up for anywhere. Some very good instructors there.

jimmywiz
22nd Sep 2012, 21:36
First lesson down here on tuesday cant wait. flying a DR400 - 108 :) :8