PDA

View Full Version : Adelaide Flight Training Centre (AFTC) VS Moncton Flight College (MFC)

RAY - Musician Pilot
20th Sep 2012, 15:32
Hello All,

I am a university student who come from Hong Kong. I am planning to train myself privately to become an airline pilot if I failed the CX and KA Cadet program interview.

I am holding a valid UK passport which can live, study and work in UK and EU without any visa. Therefore, I considered Euro/UK as my first choice. However, I read and search some information in Internet and PPrune about Euro Pilot Training (Including both Integrated and Modular) and the job finding about finish the integrated training. It seem that training in UK/Euro is really expensive (living cost and training price especially for the integrated training (OAA/CTC WIng/ FTE etc)) and the airline job finding is not really easy even after you finished the integrated training.

Therefore, I am considering to start my training in Australia Adelaide Flight Training Centre (AFTC) or Canada Moncton Flight College (MFC).

I am not considering the training in US because I hear many bad quality/school in US, also, I can get my planing path (CPL + Multi Engine Rating + Instrument Rating + ATPL (Theory)) in Australia and Canada. I will need those License and Rating during the Advanced Entry of the airline cadet.
In US, I need to get around 1500 hours of flying before starting the ATPL theory exam. (Correct me if I am wrong, thanks!)

I did some research in both schools. There are some pros and cons.

AFTC
Pros:

1. Really Good reputation in aviation (The Adelaide Flight Training Centre (AFTC) is a sister school of Flight Training Adelaide Pty Ltd (FTA). Both schools are recognised internationally for its delivery of quality pilot training)
2. The training course is well-designed and the school is structural.
3. Many different types of light aircraft for training (Grob G115, Socata TB10 Tobago, Cirrus SR20 and Beechcraft BE76 Duchess)
4. Diploma of Aviation Offer Private Pilot’s Licence
Commercial Pilot's Licence
Night (VFR) Rating
Command Instrument Rating
5. Adelaide has a nice weather for training especially VFR, also living cost was not too expensive (Compared with Sydney)
6. If I go back Hong Kong for pilot job, the aviation standard of Hong Kong mainly is based on Australia type.
7. Personally, I really love FTA (That's one of my dream school)
AFTC can share the aircraft, simulator and Facilities with FTA

However Cons:

1. AFTC is different with FTA (I hear that the AFTC and FTA have high different on the instructors and training quality )
2. The cadet have priority on all facilities and aircraft because FTA/AFTC is mainly focus on cadet pilot training.
3. AFTC didn't provide any Accommodation for non-cadet student
4. The training cost is expensive (More than AU75000) for Diploma of Aviation which didn't include ATPL Theory and instructor course and a bit long (Around16-18 months)
With the same price, I can get all the licenses including ATPL Theory and instructor in Canada and US
5. AFTC didn't provide the ATPL Theory and instructor courses
6. FTA will provide Instructor Training Scholarship course however for become the instructor in AFTC/FTA, candidates need to be Australian citizens/residents (I am not Australian citizen!)
7. Australia money will become more and more expensive in future (I guess)
8. If I need a ATPL theory, I am planing to Advanced Flight Theory for ATPL course (All subject around AU3500)

Moncton Flight College (MFC)

Pros:

1. I hear that the MFC is really good on facilities and reputation in Canada.
2. Train the cadet pilot of some China's airline
3. Relatively cheaper
Integrated Airline Transport Pilot (IATP) Around 1 year course around CA55000
Diploma in Aviation Technology (IATP) (around 20 months)
Around CA 60000-62000
4. Provide own accommodations
5. Cheaper living cost and training fee

Cons:

1. I don't really familiar with Canada aviation. (It is similar with US(FAA), Euro (JAA) or Australia style?)
2. I don't know this is easy or not to find a Charter job or flight instructor to gain more flying experience and flying hours as a international student.
3. Is it easy to find a airline pilot job? (After 1500 hours I mean)

I am really interested in those two school, please comment it if you have any learning experience or information in AFTC or MFC!
Which one or which path do you prefer and suitable for me?

If you have any flying school recommend in Australia or Canada or even in US or Euro, please let me know also!
Any other path recommend for become a airline pilot?

This is my first post in PPrune, Correct me if I wrong!
I am looking forward to your reply and help!
Thanks a lot!!!

Alpha_Bravo_Charlie
23rd Sep 2012, 18:04
I too would be interested to see people's take on this. As far as I know, MFC is pretty highly regarded here in Canada..but from what I hear, they don't assist you one bit after graduation.

KAG
24th Sep 2012, 02:26
Which of those 2 schools is the most able to help you land a job?

RAY - Musician Pilot
24th Sep 2012, 03:37
I don't know.......
You mean MFC won't assist any help after you finish the training?

I don't really have the idea for AFTC and MFC which one can land me a job.
For finding job, is that any advantage for Euro Integrated Course? (I am considering Jetstream Aviation Academy, Egnatia and AFTC and MFC)!

Who have any idea for the training quality and how easy/difficult to find a job after finished the training.

P.S: I am a Hong Kong people holding a valid UK/EU passport.

RAY - Musician Pilot
29th Sep 2012, 17:54
Can compare the training quality and instructor quality, training standard in Australia and Canada, and the weather for training and finding job?
Thanks a lot!

RAY - Musician Pilot
20th Oct 2012, 08:02
Any comment or other options in Canada, Australia and Euro?
I hear someone said that Greece has some good FTO integrated course with good price!

Alpha_Bravo_Charlie
20th Oct 2012, 16:02
If you are looking at price, Canada is by far the most cheapest option

nastyevil110
1st Nov 2012, 09:54
Dear, If i was you i will go to canada there is no work in australia aviation in australia is struggling even though the locals are leaving for indonesia, phillipines or thailand for training then convert the licence. I would suggest but decission is yours. Canada is still far much better choice than australia, too expensive in australia you would be doing more than double hours in canada at the price of one hour here in australia. Get it done quick and cheap in canada save money then convert it to where you find work. If you have bucket loads of money then visit australia to see what you think. Do not spend any money. Go to canada get youself save money then convert it to where you get work. Thats what i did when i was halfway to my CPL. NO ONE WILL GET YOU JOB. Old trick to pull student. :)

RAY - Musician Pilot
4th Nov 2012, 06:55
Thanks a lot!

I won't consider to train in AFTC or Australia anymore unless I can become a CX/KA cadet pilot and in in Flight training Adelaide!!
After I finish my university study, I will consider to apply CX/KA and may be CTC wing Cadet. If I cannot become the airline cadet pilot, I will go to Canada (MFC or any good suggestion for the good reputation and training quality?) or Euro (Because I hold a valid UK/EU passport) integrated course (Normally, I am considering Greece Egnatia Aviation and Jet Stream in Greece due to the cost and the good comment or any other good suggestion of FTO?)

Arfur Dent
4th Nov 2012, 07:41
.........Or just develop your music talents and stay well clear of flying. It gets more like being abused as time goes by. Sorry but that's the reality.

Flying Mechanic
4th Nov 2012, 15:37
The main is when you graduate from a flight school in oz ir Canada,you then have the right to work in that country, as you need to build hours to get the illusive airline job, and Australia is one of the hardest places in the world to get you first job.....I can't comment on Canada, as I never flown there.

MakeItHappenCaptain
24th Nov 2012, 04:10
Listen to Nastyevil, he been everywhere!:ok:

He couldn't buy a license in Australia, so then he started looking in South America, because he thought they don't speak English! Then he tries Phillipines and Thailand and Indonesia, but he must have lost the job he says he got with Virgin Australia that way because now he seems to be promoting Canada!

I'm not promoting Australia over Canada because I don't know anything about the Canadian scene, but
Nastyevil110 is a pathetic little troll and should be ignored wherever he festers up.

Good luck wherever you decide to go, Ray.:ok: