PDA

View Full Version : Rotor Sim Morristown WTF?

PatMcgroin
20th Sep 2012, 11:12
:ugh:I am hearing rumors that the attitude at the Morristown simulator has taken on a Nazi SS air? Anyone else finding this to be the case? Several of our pilots have returned saying that they are not getting the training they need from the vendor and are being treated like they are not customers. Interested to hear other peoples findings.

Sir Korsky
20th Sep 2012, 13:18
Sorry, but just interested, are the complainers indigenous Saudis by any chance?

PatMcgroin
20th Sep 2012, 16:15
No highly experienced expat pilots who have had a lot of recurrent training in simulators and multiple type ratings:. Supposedly a big change from the same facility just a year ago.:confused:

bb in ca
20th Sep 2012, 22:20
I was there last year and I was treated fine, unfortunately the training wasn't very good.

The classroom time consisted of an instructor (very nice guy) reading verbatim off a powerpoint presentation.

The sim had several glitches and obviously didn't have a budget for general upkeep as many non-essential items were clearly worn out or not functioning.

There were virtually no comments provided from the instructor either. Just a box ticking exercise.

Another nice certificate though so some client or regulator can see that the crew was "trained".

spinwing
21st Sep 2012, 00:47
Mmmm ...

Which aircraft ... B412 or A139 ??

I had an impression when I visited that whilst 'some' of the instructors knew the sim quite well their actual 'real life' operating expertise left a fair bit to be desired?

Perhaps though it was only 'my' impression ... and nobody else's ?? :confused:

Sandy Toad
21st Sep 2012, 11:16
Last visit it was very obvious many of the instructors had issues with the new man in charge and the way they were now supposed to do things.
Ground school was still useful and I thought well presented.
Sim sessions were similar except for countless 'beware of this on your check ride as he doesn't agree with the way we used to teach it'.
Check ride with the Italian Import was a totally unprofessional experience. From brief to de-brief.

A simulator session should teach, clarify and test.
One should return feeling you have gained from the experience; you are better equipped to tackle any emergences; had any bad habits chastised; gained the latest official and un-official information from Manufacturers and Operators; and leave with a quiet confidence you are a better pilot than when you walked in.

You should not leave feeling frustrated, de-moralised and vowing never to return.

I have others with similar experiences.

PatMcgroin
22nd Sep 2012, 09:48
Sounds like what we are hearing. I expect we may be taking our seventy pilots elsewhere if we are going to have to deal with some one who has decided to give a training session that is not what we need. Too bad I really like Morristown and have had some good training there. But on the bright side I miss Flight Safey, I have been going to them since the early eighties in all kinds of aircraft and have found them to be customer driven. :ok:

PatMcgroin
22nd Sep 2012, 09:53
Simulator training has saved my life... So I am big supporter.

1HERMAN1
24th Sep 2012, 08:40
Great training facility that's beginning to lose its edge. Sim instructors are highly knowledgeable and very helpful. Ground school is very informative and updating.

However, there has been an attitude shift among the evaluators towards the negative side of the spectrum.

1. You you receive your flight plan for the 2 hour evaluation about 5 minutes prior to the flight ---during the oral evaluation. While many who live and fly in the JFK/LAGUARDIA/NEWARK are highly familiar with the routes, procedures, VFR flight corridors, and approaches, others, are at best, vaguely familiar with the procedures.

2. Would you accept this flight in real life with 5 minutes to plan? This would be a very poor judgement call and should be grounds to fail the evaluation on the spot before ever getting into the aircraft.

3. Would the FAA approve of such behavior? The inherent training value of getting the flight plan hours before, or, even the day before is lost. Making it a common and acceptable practice in giving such a short notice for planning sets one up with a false sense of security of the "macho" CRM personality type and absolutely should not be cultivated in the aviation community.

4. JFK/LAGUARDIA/NEWARK is an extremely high density traffic area over a densely populated geographic location, serious consideration and emphasis of proper flight planning should be emphasized in the simulator just as it would be in the aircraft --"real life training".

5. Multiple simultaneous emergencies while being intentionally disoriented is teaching crisis management rather than a controlled a methodical approach to aircraft emergencies.

6. This method of evaluation has morphed into solving a Rubic's Cube with a 5 minute time constraint---followed by the inevitable and very serious consequences.

1HERMAN1
24th Sep 2012, 09:00
Very well said. Your post simply exposes a weakness at the Morristown Sim and if corrected will improve the overall quality of training.