PDA

View Full Version : First time you ever flew a 'big plane'

Lizz
19th Sep 2012, 21:34
Ok, so curiosity has gotton the better of me, I was down at MAN airport last night and this evening - seeing my boyfriend who is a passing ship in the night, not trying to steal any planes.. honest :O

And whilst waiting I was wondering, having myself now had a taste of flying a plane all be it a 'small plane' (whenever I book my lessons my instructor really will hate me won't he or she, small plane, big plane, look at the motorway from up here etc, oh my :ugh:) I noticed that there's alot to be done when actually flying a plane. It got me thinking, obviously this is where everyone (most anyway) start of and I know before you go commercial there's lots of training and I assume time in a simulator.

My question is, was the first time that auto pilot went on and the computer flew the plane and you just sat back was it strange or did it make you abit anxious or was it a nice relief to sit back and relax abit?
The only thing I relate it to is when I put cruise control on in my car, totally freaks me out!

Flying Mechanic
20th Sep 2012, 15:45
I had 4500 hours flying, before i flew a plane with AP.....i was so happy to see it!I sat back there, and was happy to someone else do the work!!They are great things and thank god for there invention.

Notso Fantastic
20th Sep 2012, 17:50
Even after a dozen simulator sessions converting onto a new type, it's not like a simulator. It's still becoming 'familiar' and it is a very nervy anxious time. When I first flew a real 737 glass panel -400, after takeoff I sat back and let go at about 4000' in the climb. The plane started gently rolling not doing at all what I wanted- I'd neglected to actually engage the autopilot. Familiarity comes quickly in the real aeroplane, but I found simulators didn't fully prepare you although they get you 95% there. With 'zero flight time' conversions, there is no circuit bashing in real aeroplanes- the first time you fly a real one is on normal passenger services, with a special training pilot to help you get into it! That first landing does tend to be a nervy time!

Lizz
21st Sep 2012, 08:08
Thanks for the replies - most interesting!

I assume it's something you get used to, I've heard of games of chess (on an iPad) being played in the flightdeck!
I guess as long as you remember how to really fly it then all is well. I can't help but think, watching air crash investigation (a Monday night pleasure of mine) that some seem to forget the basics.

Fareastdriver
21st Sep 2012, 15:10
My first appreciation of flying with an autopilot was that I didn't keep spilling cigarette ash all over the cockpit floor.

Lizz
21st Sep 2012, 17:54
My first appreciation of flying with an autopilot was that I didn't keep spilling cigarette ash all over the cockpit floor.

I hope you had the window open to blow the smoke out :E

Notso Fantastic
23rd Sep 2012, 11:29
My career after 30+ hours flying Cessnas (and seriously scaring myself to death with an Auster- I thought a real bastard aeroplane I never mastered) was 200 hours on Cherokees. Advanced training was 70 hours on twin engined Beech Barons, a lovely, highly powered twin. I then converted onto my first jet- a 4 engined intercontinental VC10. Very nervous in the right hand seat, I was thrown right into it at Shannon in Ireland doing the take-off of non-passenger training details- the others co-opting me to go first whilst they could stand and watch/laugh/rib. I recall I was petrified roaring along the runway- I daren't allow myself more than a glance out at one time- the speed looking sideways was astonishing. Airborne, I just adored it. It was an impeccably handling aeroplane, fully powered controls. It was the peak of British-only engineering.

I just thought it handled wonderfully, but what amazed me was this- the conversion from a single engine slow spam can (Cherokee) to the Baron was. I thought, harder than from the Baron to the VC10. Surprisingly it was quite seamless, which I did not expect. Obviously a lot to learn about BOAC procedures, but the handling was no problem, and a superb training team gets you settled in so quickly. Thereafter, with about half a dozen conversions over a career, you appreciate they are all just aeroplanes, all fly the same way. You just have to familiarise yourself with their individual characteristics. Now I'm happy just flying a 2 seat Sportcruiser around, with no stress allowed! And no ghastly modern (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2206573/Pictured-The-stepson-17-abandoned-Portugal-airplane-row-stepfather-led-emergency-landing.html)passengers fighting, babies squawking, fuel/ATC/delay hassles from everybody!

It did used to amaze me how the quality of people given passports fell over the years. Now they travel drunk, dressed inappropriately, and behave obnoxiously, outrageously and disgustingly. I've squirmed when I've seen the way these grockles and gargoyles speak to the cabin crew, hard working, tired crews. It was definitely time to leave!

BTW, having sounded off, I've quite forgotten what the original question was!

grounded27
23rd Sep 2012, 16:24
I had a buddy who started flying as a kid, got with an airline as an aircraft mechanic that gave a big discount on rentals, by the time he was in his mid 20's he was working as a flight mechanic for a 742F operator. They soon gave him a slot as an FE, he went in on a twin and built multi time at the same time building hrs on the 742 and getting paid. It was not long before he had his ATP minimums and first commercial flight was a 742.

FLCH
23rd Sep 2012, 22:50
My first "big" airplane was a 737-300, I had 7 years sideways as a F/E then finally upgraded to the right seat.
Initial Operating Experience with a check airman was a total blur as questions about the plane and policies were coming thick and fast and was focused on the task at hand, that is until I saw my ugly mug in the reflection of the terminal building window in Jacksonville FL on the second day of the trip .

I realised then I had this huge stupid grin on my face........ :)

neroliie
24th Sep 2012, 03:51
Oh, all you pilots! I'm a wee bit jealous. The closest I can come to your experiences is when I had to learn how to ride a bike after a thirteen year hiatus. It's great to read all your experiences :)

(Mind you I'd be useless flying a plane, I'd be too busy squieee'ing and then pass out from the nerves.)

grounded27
24th Sep 2012, 19:53
To stay on topic: my first big jet was the DC-10. (I don't miss it, no siree)

Really? I as a flightmech had to pick up F/E, first flight on a DC-10, I had to bite my lip as this greenhorn blurted out "holly **** this aircraft is big when you get close to it". The Captain asked me to monitor him....

FLCH
24th Sep 2012, 21:19
Really? I as a flightmech had to pick up F/E, first flight on a DC-10, I had to bite my lip as this greenhorn blurted out "holly **** this aircraft is big when you get close to it". The Captain asked me to monitor him....

The DC-10 was my first airliner as an F/E up till then it was 40 seat commuter planes and smaller. I had exactly the same thought, that was a big airplane !

Nothing wrong with that sentiment.

Dan Winterland
25th Sep 2012, 01:03
It was over 25 years ago so the memory is fading. But I thought it was rather dull and my thoughts were that it was the end of fun flying for me.

grounded27
25th Sep 2012, 17:37
The DC-10 was my first airliner as an F/E up till then it was 40 seat commuter planes and smaller. I had exactly the same thought, that was a big airplane !

Nothing wrong with that sentiment.

No not at all, it has gone through all our minds I am sure. Suppose it was funny to hear him blurt it out when we were strapping into the beast every day.

Never flown an aircraft outside a sim but the first aircraft I taxied was a 742F, empty. I remember it overwhelming me a bit just how large a machine I was operating.

Lizz
26th Sep 2012, 20:24
I've just clocked all the replied to my post - very interesting reads :)

I really do need to get back up there, I've thought about it every day since my trial lesson! The bug has really bitten me!
I just wish I had some money :ugh: