PDA

View Full Version : Advice on becoming a pilot

MrPc
19th Sep 2012, 00:04
Hey guys new here.
Im here to ask advice on becoming a pilot.
I used to work as a cabin crew for a very well known airline for three and half years and enjoyed my job alot.
While working for them i have always looked at pilots and could always imagine myself loving that job and am very keen on training.
I have seen schools which get you all the licences you need. but im interested in doing my PPL in a school in europe or america (or where ever is best)
To get my PPL as soon as i can.
Is this advisable? or should i do it the slow way and get lessons per week?
I feel that the weather here is forever unpredictable and know that lessons always get cancelled due to bad weather thus my reason for wanting to go abroad to complete PPL. (also much quicker)
All feedback/advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

taxistaxing
19th Sep 2012, 08:46
From my own experience, doing the PPL as quickly as possible pays off. You will take far longer to do it if you're only taking lessons once a week or so. The effect of the unpredictable weather in the UK (especially as we go into the winter months) can compound this problem. The cheapest way of doing it may well be to head out to Florida/California and do the whole course in three or four weeks.

That said if you're wanting to go on and take the CPL in the UK, I've spoken to quite a few commercial students who have done their PPL and hour building in the states, and then struggle with the CPL in the UK due to the differences in teaching. They end up having remedial training in the UK which can quickly erode the cost advantage of doing it in the states in the first place. On that basis, if you do your PPL in the states, you might want to do at least some of your hour building post PPL in the UK to get used to the airspace and environment here before starting the CPL training.

MrPc
19th Sep 2012, 14:12
Do the schools teach you everything you need to know?
Or is the 3/4 weeks rushed and teach you basics were you would need to already know general knowledge towards your PPL

Gulfstream757
19th Sep 2012, 20:20
Well your right about the weather but there is a positive side I was talking to a guy who did his ppl with Oxford over in Florida and taught that the good weather was a disadvantage as you won't get used to gusty conditions.If you do go abroad think about the cost of accommodation.Doing it quicker is best I would think as you will retain info from the last lesson and not have to constantly repeat things good luck.:ok:

FANS
20th Sep 2012, 12:02
The UK weather is an absolute nightmare for PPL training, but it will prepare you for flying thereafter.

I'd encourage you to do a few lessons at you local club and take it from there. Flying every weekend is a sure fire way of a PPL taking 2+ years, once you loose 6 months to weather and end up repeating countless lessons! So ideally do a PPL course on a consistent basis.