PDA

View Full Version : Engine anti-icing

Landflap
18th Sep 2012, 10:46
Always thought that anti-icing procedures were a PREFLIGHT consideration. Colleague of mine just got chewed out in the sim for NOT placing enfine anti-ice ON , in icing conditions, AFTER the flight, while taxiing in !! I fell about laughing & told him he must have done extremely well if that is all the Checker could criticise him for.

darkbarly
18th Sep 2012, 11:24
Hmmm, might not be a great idea to bung up the many air sensing probes inside the (turbofan, I presume) engine. FADEC should manage your EGT if things go awry on the subsequent start but it usually needs good air data, amongst others, to manage the ensuing combustion.

Personally would not like to phone the boss and say the fan blades were clear on the walkround but sorry I just torched one of your BRTs during start. FADEC download reveals temporary no data from sensing port. Hey presto. ICE.

If the engine starts OK and you shed fan/compressor ice during taxi out/line up, well done, got away with it.

If only they made aeroplanes out of the stuff the sim is made from;)

Intruder
18th Sep 2012, 11:48
"Chewed out" -- or merely reminded that he forgot something?

It's the check airman's job to nitpick. Take it as training or reminder. If ANY check airman "chews you out" for ANYTHING, it's time to see the TC director!

de facto
18th Sep 2012, 12:53
Always thought that anti-icing procedures were a PREFLIGHT consideration.

That is worrying rather than your friend 'forgetting it'....

Mercenary Pilot
18th Sep 2012, 13:11
Colleague of mine just got chewed out in the sim for NOT placing enfine anti-ice ON , in icing conditions, AFTER the flight, while taxiing in

Better than being dragged in front the Director of Flight Ops to explain why he disregarded the manufacturer & company procedures and damaged a rather expensive gas turbine engine.