PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Exam queries

Odai
18th Sep 2012, 02:40
Hello,

I am currently considering, after gaining my PPL (hopefully soon), to continue my training to a commercial level.

I am almost certain I want to attain a CPL/MEP, but am also considering possibly extending this to include an IR for a fATPL. If I decide also to make the transition from scientific academia (currently at university studying Physics) to airline flying, I would also go through the standard route of obtaining an MCC and going through JOT.

As I am not sure yet what it is I want exactly, I have been considering the timeframes for validity of ATPL examination passes.

I have been reading through the formidable CAP 804, and from what I can gather, there are 14 ATPL exams to pass in total. My understanding is that for the issue of a CPL (no IR) then it is only necessary to pass 13 of these (no need for IFR communications), and that in both cases the passes are valid for 36 months before they expire if either the CPL or IR have not been obtained by then.

What isn't clear to me however is how to keep the passes current. CAP 804 mentions that the 14 exams remain valid for 7 years from the last IR renewal date. However, there is no mention of what happens if you only have a CPL, with no IR, and passed only the exams required for CPL.

What about if I take all 14 exams, decide not to take an IR, keep my CPL up to date, and after over 3 years, decide to take the IR? Would I only need to resit the IFR communication exam?

I'd hugely appreciate any advice on these questions.

I have done a few searches prior to posting, but my main concern with this was the information being out of date now that we're past the magic date of 17th September for EASA.

Thanks!

Odai
22nd Oct 2012, 23:07
Just thought I'd bump this up there in case anyone has an answer to my questions.

At the moment, it is looking like I would have difficulty completing the IR within three years of completing my ATPL exams.

However, I do want to attempt the ATPL exams as I have time to do them now, and am confident I can complete my CPL/MEP well within that time frame.

Would my above assumption (that in doing the ATPL exams and only getting a CPL I would only have to resit the IFR communications exam if I wanted to get an IR after the three years have lapsed) be correct?

If this is the case, then it would seem the EASA transition has for once made my life a little simpler. As I understand it, there was a completely different syllabus and only 9 exams for CPL under JAA.

fwjc
23rd Oct 2012, 05:22
If you do ATPL theory and CPL practical, you will have a CPL. If you don't do the IR within the 3 years, you will have to do one of two things.

To get a CPL/IR without future chance to upgrade to ATPL you need to sit ALL of the IR exams again. I'm not sure how many this is, but I think it's either 7 or 9 exams under EASA.

To get a CPL/IR with future chance to upgrade to ATPL you would need to sit ALL of the ATPL exams again.

You would be better off to aim for the CPL/IR (SEP) if you are limited financially, since this at least locks the exams. You would then have to add the MEP and the ME/IR but at least you won't have to go through the exam pain again.

RTN11
23rd Oct 2012, 11:48
It's all very simple!

You have 36 months from the last ATPL exam pass to get BOTH CPL & IR.

If you do not get one of the above, the exams expire. If you have a CPL at this point you keep it, if not you have nothing. If you then wanted to complete training for CPL&IR you would need to retake all 14 exams.

If you get the CPL&IR within the 36 months, you can then let the IR expire for up to 7 years. If it is still expired after 7 years, you would then need to retake all 14 exams to get your IR back. Renewing an IR is the same as revalidation, a simple flight test which is never as difficult as the initial, so one of these every 7 years wouldn't be too bad, and ultimately you should have a job in 7 years or just give up all together.

If you only want a CPL, you can do just CPL exams (I have no idea, maybe 9 exams?). If you only want an IR you can do only IR exams (again, no idea, 7-9 exams?). If you want both you could do both sets, or do ATPL exams. ATPL exams are the foundation of an Airline Transport Pilot Licence, which you will need to work in a multi-crew environment. If you are only ever going to fly single crew, no need for ATPL exams.

The MCC doesn't come into any of the above requirements, but it is required before you do a multi-crew type rating.