PDA

View Full Version : anyone been hr building in Malaga

Nearly Man
8th Apr 2002, 18:07
Hello there

Just a quickie. Has anyone been to do their hour building at Aero Club Bahia de Malaga?

Any info however small would be a great help

ta ta

JR_MAS
8th Apr 2002, 18:52
Hi

I flew with the aeroclub last year & found the aircraft to be well maintained & staff helpful.

The cost compared quite well with the UK as I was paying about GBP70 per hour including local pilot.

If you want any more specific info. please let me know.

Sensible
8th Apr 2002, 20:23
I concur with JR_MAS, they do insist on the safety pilot (hour builder) and it's a good idea because some of the ATC at some of the smaller airports is in Spanish!! Not sure about hour building there (try the USA) but it's a good place for an interesting jolly!

miss magenta
9th Apr 2002, 17:43
I dont want to sound like the tourism dept. for the Balearic Islands, but I must tell you that if you fancy Spain for hour building then this is a beautiful place to do it.
I fly out of a small airfield on the island of Mallorca, and hop over to the other islands or to the mainland. Or just flying round the island is great. I use an outfit called Megan Aviation but there are quite a few places to rent aircraft. You will find that ATC over here is not only very helpful but the level of english is excellent. We all speak in spanish at the airfield I use, until someone speaks in english, then we switch to english. (Yes I know, we should do it all the time.)
Sloane helicopters operate here and most of their students/hour builders are english and have no problem.
Prices vary but a C150 will cost you around €80/hr.
If you want any details let me know and I will email them to you.:)

cbkr2000
18th Apr 2002, 18:58
I've just come back from Malaga Aero-Club. The weather surprisingly was bad with only 9 or 10 VFR days out of the three weeks I was there. The problem I had was that to the N, NW and NE there are high-ish mountains and if the cloud is low enough (which it was) you are limited to going along the coast. Here there are some comms troubles and lots of restricted airspace regions, especially around Gibraltar. Also you have to file a proper paper flight plan for all flights which is a bit restricting if you want to go visiting wherever you fly. However on good days its very good. They also do a package where a safety pilot is not needed (50 hours) giving a bit more freedom. Staff wise, I feel they could have been a wee bit more helpful with advice and recomendations, but then again the weather made lots of things difficult.
Watch out for the weather its more changeable than Glasgow which is very changeable!
Finally, if you do go there, don't go near Faro in Portugal-you get hit with 20euros landing fee AND a 30euro handling charge.
Remember this is only my opinions and I'm sure there are others with high praise for the Club.

Hope this helps!

rex
19th Apr 2002, 18:53
Hey miss magenta!

I had some hols in mallorca last November and took a flight with Megan aviation. The instructor was okay about my flying despite having just past my PPL, he did have his reservations at first though. Lovely island but only 1000 foot ceiling VFR due to Palma airport.
A day later we had the worst storm on the island for 20 years. I heard a jet go overhead to Palma, our hotel and golf course was under the flight path, and thought that those guys certainly earnt their money that night. God bless them. It makes you proud to want to join that fraternity(sorry dont know the word for sisterhood).
I believe it all helps with flying experience and more to talk about.

Rex:)

Pilot Pete
20th Apr 2002, 18:11
In answer to your intial question......yes, but only in a 757 trying to unfreeze my ATPL!!!! Just got back today, weather was lovely. As posted above though the weather has been very changeable over the last few months......worth considering if you intend to do it all VFR.

PP

john77
22nd Apr 2002, 22:34
Am new on the web but as any other ppl that wants to build ours you spend a lot of time looking for the cheapest place to buy your Hr. I ve looked at all adverts in magazines and contacted eveyone. By chance i was visiting Cyprus (Ayia Napa, good fun) when i decided to pay a visit at the local clubs. iwas so impressed with one that i came back and build 50hrs for 2500 C-172 inc accomodation, transfers and most of all an FI free of charge. I learnt so much and feeling more confident flying just becuase they let you fly as PIC but if you like give you an idea of what to expect on the IR and CPL (JAA) learn about holds, approach etc which is much more wise to spend your money rather than paying for some hrs in the log book without actually developing your skills. if interested their email is [email protected]