PDA

View Full Version : New living restrictions on all employees based in Abu Dhabi

Nearly Man
17th Sep 2012, 17:30
New restrictions on all employees based in Abu Dhabi out today.
As of 2103 you will have to live in Abu Dhabi otherwise you won't get your housing allowance.
I only put this up because the reasons they give are the funniest I've heard yet.
It's for road safety and secondly it's to help the environment :}

Nothing to do with keeping the ridiculous high rents for property in Abu Dhabi up of course? :E

Rotorhead1026
17th Sep 2012, 17:34
As of 2103 you will have to live in Abu Dhabi

Can't argue with 91 years notice, though. :D

Nearly Man
17th Sep 2012, 18:50
Yes, I'm glad you spotted my deliberate mistake there. Congratulations, you have won, a chance to live in Abu Dhabi :}

170to5
17th Sep 2012, 20:25
I wouldn't be that fussed, isn't the world going to end in December anyway?

White Knight
17th Sep 2012, 20:34
I wouldn't be that fussed, isn't the world going to end in December anyway?

I imagine it will if you work down the road from World Central:cool:

SassyPilotsWife
17th Sep 2012, 20:50
Will they have someone knocking at every address to confirm you are actually " living " in AD ? What proof will they need ? Do they pay you a housing allowance or pay the landlord ?

Reminds me of working for a fire dept where we were required to live in the same city. So many ways to get around it !

Rotorhead1026
17th Sep 2012, 20:58
I'm glad you spotted my deliberate mistake there. Congratulations, you have won, a chance to live in Abu Dhabi

:)

You could retaliate by editing your post - forcing me to delete mine.

As for the prize, I'll turn it down and take the cash value. Oooops, no, wait, that'll COST me money!

C4
18th Sep 2012, 03:29
This is for public sector employees only!!! So mainly Emirati's.

goeasy
18th Sep 2012, 05:54
No it's for all employes of government or semi-government (ie. the national airline). I do feel sorry for those with mortgage/equity issues.

But you could see this coming for about 2years now. Nothing united about the United AE.

And yes they will be able to tell, like from where your car is registered etc. And from the forest of traffic cameras across town!

falconeasydriver
18th Sep 2012, 06:08
Hmmmm I seem to recall posting this the other day in reference to the employer that must not be named...:suspect:

bluelearjetdriver
18th Sep 2012, 09:03
The real reason......

Abu Dhabi presses state employees to live there (http://in.mobile.reuters.com/article/idINL5E8KDBMP20120913?irpc=932)

Toruk Macto
18th Sep 2012, 12:03
So maybe a good time to invest in a investment property in Abu Dhabi , Thoughts anyone ?

Nearly Man
18th Sep 2012, 13:43
Buy, errm, not me mate. You'll have new fees coming out very soon, sunglasses fee, water tap handle fees blah blah. Not taxes mind you because it's tax free, it's FEES. Completely different you see?
They will force the 18,000 Abu Dhabi people who live in Dubai for a third less to live in their ridiculously overpriced shoddily built tips. Keeping the prices nice and high for themselves.
Like you said, united, only on posters.

BladePilot
18th Sep 2012, 17:18
Wow! Nearly Man.. when did you last view property in Abu Dhabu ... THE Capital of the UAE.
Standard of accommodation here can match and beat smog chocked Dubai. Rents are well below what they were 12 months ago, I recently recieved a whopping 12% reduction on my fully furnished serviced apartment in the city centre, and its cheeeeeaap! 20 mins to the airport and handy for all I need. 10 mins to the golf course and Malls, Malls, Malls everywhere, not to mention pubs, clubs, cafes and so much more.
How much does it cost to commute to the big D? fuel and other running costs, depreciation on your vehicle and well let's not forget those lonely hours in your car away from your family? and how many hours have you lost because of the 'occasional' car crash on that infamous highway? What price can you place on the stress of enduring the daily 'Lotto' on that road? I've a number of friends who have made the move recently and are so much happier and financially better off. :)
Work in Abu Dhabi, Live in Abu Dhabi, always have always will and I love it.

Dubaian
19th Sep 2012, 06:09
I believe you have always been supposed to reside in the same Emirate that issued your residence / work visa. But this has never been enforced ......... so far.

tuskegee airman
19th Sep 2012, 07:21
True, except: (a) that was not any of the stated reasons in the order, and (b) this directive is supposed to apply to the locals as well.

goeasy
19th Sep 2012, 07:58
Hey x380 driver. You are right it is about choice. But since any off us arrived, the only choice that is truly ours is whether to stay or leave. Anything else in life here can change without notice or right of recourse. Which is why I, and many others, would never buy property here.

What if there is a change of law tomorrow, removing the rights of expats to own property? Who says it can't happen?

Just a change of leadership by emirate or nationally could make this place unliveable instantly.

I predicted this latest directive about 2 years ago, and so many said 'it will never happen'... 'they can't do that' ! Oh?

NG_Kaptain
19th Sep 2012, 20:04
Yet company housing is difficult to obtain. I cant figure them out. Remember we cannot mention the name of the airline which employs the affected pilots in this fiasco.

springbok449
19th Sep 2012, 21:07
Go easy,

It wasn't predicted 2 years ago, it actually happened only to be retracted after 30 or so pilots resigned in one week...:ok:

goeasy
20th Sep 2012, 03:08
But it didn't happen, as a government edict. It was a watery company rule, that they then gave dispensation to everyone who asked.... I though it was obvious then that the government would eventually play hard ball.

I am not being heartless. I really feel for those affected, as a lot were coerced into their decision. I hope 'someone' steps in with assistance.

Nearly Man
20th Sep 2012, 09:26
This isn't the company. This is from the Abu Dhabi government stating that all 18,000 people from all companies who don't want to live in sandblown Khalifa A or downtown Karachi Abu Dhabi don't have a choice if they want their housing allowance.

Voel
20th Sep 2012, 12:11
Will they have someone knocking at every address to confirm you are actually " living " in AD ? What proof will they need ? Do they pay you a housing allowance or pay the landlord ?

Some require a certified copy of the landlord, which need to be certified again by the municipality of Abu Dhabi that he/she is the registered owner, before they pay you the living allowance. Just went through that excercise

aviator3200
20th Sep 2012, 17:05
Hello everyone.
I thought that this place was more open minded and I was really close to buy
A property...I will never do that in Dubai or Abu dhabi there's no protection for your investment at all.Thanks about the lesson Abu Dhabi.Thanks about taking care of road safety.You just remembered us that we are labours here,not cheap but labours!waiting the housing prices to hit the sky again before start laughing.

aviator3200
20th Sep 2012, 17:10
Hello everyone.
I thought that this place was more open minded and I was really close to buy
A property...I will never do that in Dubai or Abu dhabi there's no protection for your investment at all.Thanks about the lesson Abu Dhabi.Thanks about taking care of road safety.You just remembered us that we are labours here,not cheap but labours!I am just waiting rental prices to hit the sky again before start laughing.Road safety...puah...you want to play dumb...let's play dumb then

glofish
21st Sep 2012, 07:09
Just rent a dump in Mussafah for 10k, tell them it's your home and keep the cheaper villa in DXB to live in ..... ;)

aviator3200
21st Sep 2012, 10:24
Just rent a dump in Mussafah for 10k, tell them it's your home and keep the cheaper villa in DXB to live in ..... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

i will make it easier...like everyone else involved in the new rule will do...i will cross the street as soon as i can!When your private life is good you can deal with something you don't like in your job,you can still swallow everything you have to go through...i used to say to many friends of mine to come over here and enjoy life...what happened was the most brutal wake up call!
But what goes around comes around...sooner or later

NG_Kaptain
23rd Sep 2012, 05:47
Remember you can only comment on Emirates-Post but Eti-salat is out of bounds.

Nearly Man
23rd Sep 2012, 09:56
Ha ha ha NG, nice one :}

menegoc
24th Sep 2012, 18:25
it is a requirement that the full family has to be in Abu Dhabi, no school allowance will be paid in Dubai and no visa for wife and children if they will not leave with you in Abu Dhabi!!:ugh:

Atis777
25th Sep 2012, 08:00
menegoc is the no school and no visa for wife and child just a guess, an assumption or hard fact. If fact then what is your source?

go_a_head
25th Sep 2012, 09:54
Hello everyone, i can't seems to find any post regarding this. Anyone knows If UAE govt allows adopted kids be brought in?

The issue with adopted kids is they're considered marriable by their parents when they reach puberty as they have no blood tie. And having a non-muhrim in the same house creates problem?

Thanks

menegoc
25th Sep 2012, 14:18
Atis 777 I spoke to HR, they know people will try to rent a small place or share an accomodation,if you have a family staying in the uae they have to be permanently in ABU DHABI if you want ot get the house allowance or school allowance,basically the only way could work it out if you don't have children and your wife is not working than once you rent a small place nobody will be able to track were you are going to spend the night, unless they track were you use your credit card!!:\

Aussie
25th Sep 2012, 16:37
Then dont use your credit card.... cold hard cash is the way to go then :ok::E:E:E

aviator3200
26th Sep 2012, 10:20
Atis 777 I spoke to HR, they know people will try to rent a small place or share an accomodation,if you have a family staying in the uae they have to be permanently in ABU DHABI if you want ot get the house allowance or school allowance
Guys you didn't get full meaning of the whole story!!!We saved the emirate!One day we will be mentioned on history books and they will put our faces on 1000 dirhams bills...we saved the city!:}

NG_Kaptain
28th Sep 2012, 08:53
What's going to happen in Dubai when all those rentals become empty? Will Sheik Mo ask Sheik Khalifa to reverse it to bail out the Dubai landlords?

flyer47
18th Oct 2012, 10:45
goeasy, I don't often post on this forum, but I'm with you all the way on this one.

King on a Wing
31st Oct 2012, 14:00
I thought the national carrier of AUH provided villas for its captains and apartments for its F/O's...?!
No..

ohshit
2nd Nov 2012, 15:52
Hi all,

Would be grateful for any information on the best areas to live in AUH?

Cheers

NG_Kaptain
2nd Nov 2012, 20:07
Housing is provided by an unnamed airline in AUH but at times it is in short supply hence the allowance and some crews choosing to live in Dubai. Previously the allowance would hardly cover acceptable housing in AUH but since the real estate crisis in Dubai and the drop in rents it became attractive to rent in Dubai and commute to Abu Dhabi. A glut in housing ensued in the capitol so the owners and developers were left with a surplus in available units, now the money grab has started, road safety is the excuse but greed is the reason.