PDA

View Full Version : FI allowances

larzabell
17th Sep 2012, 16:18
Hi Guys

Can any of you guys confirm whether a Group A FI can instruct on fixed wing microlights? Also can you point me to a source?

I can't seem to find anything on the CAA website.

Thanks in advance.:rolleyes:

Whopity
17th Sep 2012, 17:43
There is nothing in UK law that prohibits it! It has always been the case that a FI with group A privileges, (Group A has not existed since Jan 2000) or SEP privileges can give instruction on any aeroplane that falls within the Class definition. There is no weight restriction either high or low that would prohibit it.
Hours flown on microlights do not count towards SEP revalidation and similarly, instructional hours on them would not count towards FI revalidation either.

Under EASA, Microlights are Annex II aircraft and as the CAA has declared EASA licences will be valid for Annex II aircraft I see no reason for any change as they still come under UK Law.

S-Works
17th Sep 2012, 18:16
Yes. However, you would be well advised to have some time on microlights before attempting it. Energy management on some of the older slower microlights is very different.

Whopity
17th Sep 2012, 18:20
Also the syllabus is quite different so you should obtain a copy from the BMAA.

larzabell
20th Sep 2012, 13:43
thanks guys :ok:

Pilotage
20th Sep 2012, 13:45
I'd struggle to tell you where, but I *think* that I read somewhere that said FI needs 15 hours on class to do so.

That would certainly be a reasonable rule of thumb, even if I'm mistaken.

I agree with what Bose said about energy management, but also be aware that the air law syllabus is quite different in that it covers considerable material about Permits to Fly and the NPPL which isn't in the normal JAR/EASA air law syllabus.

P

Whopity
21st Sep 2012, 12:35
Apart from the NPPL, there is no Microlight Class! 15 hours would however seem like a reasonable figure but is entirely voluntary as is the difference between Weight-shift and 3 Axis.

MadamBreakneck
23rd Sep 2012, 12:53
Principle and practice may differ too. As already pointed out, what may be legal may not necessarily safe or wise.

The group A instructor would also need to be aware of restrictions on the use of different types of microlight for aerial work (such as paid instruction) embedded within their permit to fly.

Also if such instruction is for ab initio pilots or NPPL(SSEA) converting to microlight the group A instructor will need to understand the laws, rules and technical subjects relating to NPPL microlight class.

Should a Gp A instructor be seriously intending to go microlight, I'd say firstly, welcome, and secondly, do go and have a word and a flight with a microlight FIC instructor (http://www.bmaa.org/catalogue_item.php?catID=3883&prodID=18954) to find out what they're letting themselves in for... it is a different world and a fun one.

MadamB